Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As this has run in (now up to 800 miles odd) the bottom end has got noisier. A LOT noisier! Did yours do that as it loosened up, or should I take it to the dealer before it woofs its cookies?

Oil level has dropped, but is still well within limits.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
I have not lower end noise even after 58k miles and 18k of those with a turbo. Can you explain what type of lower end noise your hearing? In gear while going down the road? At idle with the bike stopped? Are you sure your not just hearing trans noise?

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Deep slow knocking noticeable at idle and low revs. Sounds like mains or big ends. Clutch in or out, in gear or not, varies with engine speed.

Not unacceptable on a big twin, but wasn't there, or wasn't loud enough to notice, when the bike was brand new.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Usually mains and rods knock under load but you can't hear them at idle without a load unless they are about to fall out. Usually mains and rods knock hard under load and motor speed will make them louder and they keep pace with the rpm. I'm betting your hearing one of the main gears ratcheting at low rpm but thats just a guess. If you have any doubt have your dealer listen to the bike.

·
Registered
21 Posts
This is going to sound stupid, but did you go topless on the breather box recently?

I have a 2007 with 400 miles on it. I took it in for a noise coming from the rear and was told the brakes need to wear in more, but they adjusted the belt just in case (hmmmmm). In any event the noise is still there, but the in disucssions with service manager, he told me I could get better sound running topless. He was right, but I started hear a noise from the front that sounded like ticking valves and at some speeds a slight knocking. Always when coming off the throttle. I replaced the cover and the noise disappeared. Go figure!

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well quite. Last time I heard a knocking rumble like this it was on a 76 Bonnie someone brought me for repair (he thought the tank brace had fallen off, which it had, but that wasn't the noise). I told him it was almost certainly the RHS main and I needed to strip it, he didn't believe me, and the bearing collapsed a week later...

But different bikes make different noises, so it is probably normal. I hope. Thanks :)

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, bone stock. Induction noises can be very odd, but can you just go topless with no fuelling adjustment? What you are describing sounds like a bike running lean, and if going topless makes it run lean, and the service manager told you to do it, then I'd change dealer :) But I'm new to V-Rods, so what do I know?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Neophytes

I am new to V-RODS as well. the service manager has a bone stock 2005 and all hea has done to it is take of the cover for a little more rumble. He said it made no difference other than sound and did not require anything other mods. You have a point though, if it is sucking in more air, it could be leaner. In any case, I drove it about 100 and put it back on.

I am now looking at the VMOD race kit 01. It's $699 with the modified stock pipes (no exchange), K&N filter, and DFO.

Anybody got an opinion?

·
Riding the good life
4,908 Posts
If your bottom end is coming apart an oil analysis will confirm levels of metal beyond normal acceptance. It would be worth the 10 or 15 bucks to do this.

If you discover no noticable high levels of metals, you've got peace of mind and then know you need to look elsewhere.

I would not ride the bike until the tests come back.

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Rich.

What I was hoping was that people would say "Nah, don't worry, these are very noisy as they loosen up".

Since they haven't, and it is a brand new bike under warranty, if it is GOING to give engine trouble, the sooner it gets it over with the better.

I'll take it a few hundred miles today with my phone, my recovery card, and my finger over the clutch. That should sort it, one way or the other :)

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Louis,

I have a knock too. Mine (DX) has about 3500 miles on it.
I agree it sounds like an end knocking, but I am just waiting to see if it goes away.
I would describe it like a "resounding knock", a bit like a nice rod of steel knocking on an aluminium case, that is covered in oil so the knock is kind of dull.
I can't say I have noticed it under load though.

If she blows I will get another engine under warranty.

I always carry my recovery card and mobile with me. :)

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, good description.

Hopefully it is a case of "they all do that sir". It may have been disguised originally by the extra oil in the sump.

I agree, if your engine is going to go bang, you want the biggest bang possible. I'd much prefer a new engine from Milwaukee to the local goons trying to change a piston.

By the way, what is the running in oil? 15/40 mineral? I'll go RTFM now, but if anyone knows, that's handy.

·
Premium Member
5,720 Posts
Louis said:
By the way, what is the running in oil? 15/40 mineral? I'll go RTFM now, but if anyone knows, that's handy.

20/50 dino oil.

·
Riding the good life
4,908 Posts
If thats the case, take it around the corner from the dealer and hammer out a few high RPM hole shots, that will get the motor where you need it to be, blown or it will hold together.

If it blows, you won't spend the whole day waiting for a ride.

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
True :)

However, in the end I hammered it down to the Western coast and back home over the mountains. 200 fairly hard miles. Result? Didn't blow, and the noise has gone. It doesn't matter because it is fine, but I'm going to have to get a wprkshop manual just to satisfy my curiosity.

Has the engine got any tensioners other than camchain? Because the only time I see this behaviour is when a tensioner is about due to ratchet up a notch, but this wasn't cam chain.

·
"A" is the only way
3,349 Posts
Louis said:
True :)

However, in the end I hammered it down to the Western coast and back home over the mountains. 200 fairly hard miles. Result? Didn't blow, and the noise has gone. It doesn't matter because it is fine, but I'm going to have to get a wprkshop manual just to satisfy my curiosity.

Has the engine got any tensioners other than camchain? Because the only time I see this behaviour is when a tensioner is about due to ratchet up a notch, but this wasn't cam chain.

From my understanding of talking to some mechanics the tensioners are for at startup then oil pressure takes over.

·
Registered
597 Posts
The "ticking" sound with the TOP Off is most likely the injectors!!!!!!!

Also, the pipes may be the cork in the system not the aircleaner. If you go topless WITHOUT OPENING the pipes, you MAY not be running lean. An engine is an airpump. If the greatest restriction is still the exhaust, even taking the aircleaner OFF will not increase airflow !!

Most folks that are lean after going topless, HAVE also opened their pipes!

Just a thought.

·
found my old avatar
1,200 Posts
vrodmaverick said:
I am now looking at the VMOD race kit 01. It's $699 with the modified stock pipes (no exchange), K&N filter, and DFO.

Anybody got an opinion?
I think you will be very happy with that set up.

(and you won't hear any more mechanical noises :D )

1 - 18 of 18 Posts