Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
buried alive oplin50
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK the owner Of BOSS NOSS came thru the shop a couple of weeks ago to show us the system, and let us ride his demo. I have to admit, It sounded too good to be true, from the new technology, to the "easy" install. SO clean install on the air head he had in his trailer. Had a 30HP shot on it, so basically a 70 hp bike bumped up to 100 hp. Like I said....with no solenoids to mount, wire in, no nos lines woven in and out of everywhere it is a VERY clean instal. If I could come up with a stealth bottle idea that I could personally like, you would never know it was on the bike. Rode it. Didn't flog it out of the hole, but bogged the bike at low RPMs in 3rd and hit the button. Pulled me out of the bog beautifully, and the power stayed steady as long as I held the button down. Not a violent thing at that gear and rpm, but noticeable fun. I'm sure about the middle of 1st at WOT and that little air motor would come alive. I just hate doing that to another mans bike.....demo or not.

I had to have one on my "R"

I wanted to do a system on a TOTALLY stock bike, and I mean stock air filter, clutch, air box, exhaust, EVERYTHING factory. (but I run amsoil) the reason being......of the thousands of members here, many of which just read and not post, MANY have showroom bikes and don't understand all the talk about, topless, bottomless, 28 tooth pulley, castrated, 240 kit, yada yada yada. I wanted to do this the way the bike came. Not get the maximum power available by doing this? correct. but at the same time, I'm not trying to break Kaz's record either.

Got the 40hp system. Mike and I have built several big HP NITROUS jap bikes and I'm used to seeing the equivalent to a deluxe edition erector set to get this done on a bike. well the box was surprisingly small. and was complete. (I also ordered a Boss Noss fuel manager)

Did it Last sat. Morning. I am quite anal about doing things EXACT ( I know....you Rob? we had no idea?) The instructions had a couple of places that could have been more detailed during the install (I will discuss with Jacob and Co.), but at the same time I got it in and without a hitch. (might just be me nit-picking...keep in mind, I ride, coordinate, handle sponsors, market...not build) TOTALLY took my time, checking everything to fit before installing each piece. The switch was included to make the horn button, switch to the NOS button. After installing the smart box, nitrous lines, drilling and installing the nozzles into the stacks, I made sure the NOS part of the set up, as well as the switch worked properly. check..

Mounted the Boss Noss efi controller and ran the wires to be snapped inline to the injectors. ( side note - EVERYTHING WAS PLUG IN....NO CUTTING WIRES OF ANYKIND AND DAMN I APPRECIATED IT. just had to drill 3 holes in airbox...one to mount smart box, one to get nos line from bottle to smart box, and one under the air filter to get feed lines from smart box to stacks. also one hole each in stacks for nozzles) to add what has to be added at the injector, its a pretty tight fit. Had to dig up my old hemostats to pull it through, then was very careful to use a zip tie to keep the new guts off the heat.

Turned the bike on......no lights on efi controller. made sure on switch was on, nothing.....armed system with the horn switch....nothing. Then the smart part of my head over road my dumdas* and I started the bike...TAADAA! I checked the settings on the efi controller. left all in the stock setting except made sure that the On NOSS setting was at full rich.

Took it to a near industrial park.

I first got to 3rd gear, steadied at 3K rpm, then went to WOT and the horn button...the bike bogged ( just like the Directions said it would) I pulled the cover, and leaned out the efi controller "on NOS" setting 1/2 step ( so easy to do!) did same test, it bogged a little and slowly came to life.... repeated leaning the bike in NOS setting 1/2 step again. same test, it noticeably came on and pulled the bike quickly up in the rpms.

so here comes my dumbas* again..... stop the bike and take off in first gear. as fast as I could get to WOT hit the button....ok...this was a different bike. It didn't pull through the gear. it lit the back tire up and I couldn't flipin shift fast enough. looked like a drifting car coming out of a corner through the top of 2nd. I like. Robby REALLY like.

ok I know Its still a little rich on the fuel in the noss mode, and it will be until I get it to Ryan and his dyno. I can stand a little rich. it beats a melted piston.

MY opinion? 2 thumbs up.

For the 20 to 50 hp guys wanting to do the install in the garage at home? you cant beat this. Easy easy easy. This smart box they have developed has done away with so much of the install problems associated with a 50 or less HP street application. I LOVE IT !

YOU MUST REMEMBER THIS IS STILL nos AND CAN AND WILL KILL YOUR MOTOR IF NOT HANDLED CORRECTLY.

There are a few places in the directions that could stand to be a little more detailed, i.e. sizes of bits for the different holes that must be drilled, a little more detail about routing wires, etc. but really I'm being very particular about this, and will talk to Jacob about it. do not let my nit-picking about that stop you from going with this system. EASY TO FIGURE OUT.

I like the system, and would recommend it to anyone wanting a boost in the seat. Clean setup, all electronics are prewired and ready to just plug in, EFI unit a snap to adjust. Will be riding it to the reunion and you are more than welcome to look at the system and I'll try to answer any questions.

What I will change on my system. I will add a WOT switch. This way when you have the system armed it will automatically come on at WOT. reason? you shouldn't be on the juice until WOT anyway, and if you want to race with a shifter button.....well you cant hit the nos button, and the shifter button and well you see. Its really a long shot, but I want some kind of fuel pressure safety switch as well.

Thanks BOSS-NOSS Great product!

·
"Keg Security"
3,428 Posts
I got sold on this yesterday. I went for a ride with a forum member that had it and I was VERY impressed. This will be one of my first mods over the winter!

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Great write-up, Rob! Two questions... how many 40hp shots (roughly) can you get out of a bottle? Or if you prefer... how many seconds of WOT?

Second - I'm with you - interested in a stealth setup, if possible. I know some have gone in the airbox at the expense of the air filter. Any other ideas on a stealth or semi-stealth bottle mount?

·
Registered
254 Posts
I got mine installed as of yesterday... still gotta fill my NOS tank up though...

I too agree about the directions, great directions, but it could use some improvement regarding what size holes to drill and where to drill. Also, the only thing that messed me up was how to connect the horn, what's positive, negative, etc... Gotta remember, I am NOT mechanically inclined and had no idea (just cuz black is usually negative, well the yellow wire did have a black stripe on it)....

I also had to piggy back my TAB fueler onto the BN fueler... that was a little tricky getting things lines up...

Also, the wires should be pretty heat resistant... but I dont think zip-tying them under the throttle body would make any difference, its going to get damn hot anyways... should be okay.

One last thing, mounting the bottle bracket and not tearing up your radiator fins.. I scuffed mine a little, til I read the directions that said to unbolt the radiator bolts... duh! They need to put in the directions first thing "Hey Dumbass! Read the freakin' directions!"... it would have helped, I also scuffed the side of the radiator cover, but it seems to have buffed out with a soft cloth well enough....

The only other thing I screwed up was dropping my horn cover onto the concrete driveway... I was drinking beer at the time and not paying attention and got a good scratch in it... no biggie, I took it apart and painted it flat black (matches the exhaust heat shields perfectly).

One last question:

How critical is it that both nos injectors be at the same height from the bottom? I didnt pay attention to the directions and they're off about a half inch... I wouldnt think it'd be that big a concern, is it?

·
Jr. Lifetime Premium
357 Posts
This looks pretty good. Can you run this with a PC-III? Piggy back on the piggy back?

Mr. Ducati - Do you have pics of your bottles mounte don the bike? Are yo using 10oz bottles or bigger ones?

·
buried alive oplin50
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dont know yet.

Steppenwolf said:
Great write-up, Rob! Two questions... how many 40hp shots (roughly) can you get out of a bottle? Or if you prefer... how many seconds of WOT?

Second - I'm with you - interested in a stealth setup, if possible. I know some have gone in the airbox at the expense of the air filter. Any other ideas on a stealth or semi-stealth bottle mount?
They claim 40+ 5 second bursts in their bottle.

No ideas yet on the stealth bottle yet. just no room!

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
smokenjoe01 said:
Rob were did you mount your bottles?
OOh!!! Let me do this!!!!
(2500+ posts and I've never used this smiley....)

:worthless

And actually, that's not true - the write-up was FAR from worthless!

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Also another question - SmokenJoe - you are using NOS with a VRFI-D, right? Any special considerations I need to be aware of there or would the BOSS-NOS just piggyback on the VRFI-D?

·
Banned
3,752 Posts
There is no piggybacking the VRFID. You plug there(BN) fuel controller into the injectors then the factory connectors to the BNconnectors. Tune the bike with the VRFID as usual. The fueler will add fuel as set to provide the additional fuel at WOT.

·
Registered
883 Posts
2 20oz bottles

UPSMAN said:
They claim 40+ 5 second bursts in their bottle.

No ideas yet on the stealth bottle yet. just no room!
Boss-Noss does sell 2-20oz bottles that are supposed to fit in the airbox and still retain the stock filter, if not you can buy K&N stack filters.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Here ya go BumbleBee,

40+ 5 sec shots? That's all? I'd have expected A LOT more than that???

·
Registered
186 Posts
How safe is the NOS setup for the engine? I mean, all things considered, will it wear the engine out prematurely? Don't know much about NOS, just curious..

·
buried alive oplin50
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mark Ducati said:
I got mine installed as of yesterday... still gotta fill my NOS tank up though...

I too agree about the directions, great directions, but it could use some improvement regarding what size holes to drill and where to drill. Also, the only thing that messed me up was how to connect the horn, what's positive, negative, etc... Gotta remember, I am NOT mechanically inclined and had no idea (just cuz black is usually negative, well the yellow wire did have a black stripe on it)....

I also had to piggy back my TAB fueler onto the BN fueler... that was a little tricky getting things lines up...

Also, the wires should be pretty heat resistant... but I dont think zip-tying them under the throttle body would make any difference, its going to get damn hot anyways... should be okay.

One last thing, mounting the bottle bracket and not tearing up your radiator fins.. I scuffed mine a little, til I read the directions that said to unbolt the radiator bolts... duh! They need to put in the directions first thing "Hey Dumbass! Read the freakin' directions!"... it would have helped, I also scuffed the side of the radiator cover, but it seems to have buffed out with a soft cloth well enough....

The only other thing I screwed up was dropping my horn cover onto the concrete driveway... I was drinking beer at the time and not paying attention and got a good scratch in it... no biggie, I took it apart and painted it flat black (matches the exhaust heat shields perfectly).

One last question:

How critical is it that both nos injectors be at the same height from the bottom? I didnt pay attention to the directions and they're off about a half inch... I wouldnt think it'd be that big a concern, is it?

I just dont like a bundle of loose wires bouncing around in there.....for ANY reason.

·
Jr. Lifetime Premium
357 Posts
After seeing the pics, I think I NEED this setup.

·
Banned
868 Posts
smokenjoe01 said:
Is there a siphon tube in the BN bottles?
Not in the 20oz bottles I have which was an issue. Also the 20oz bottles will go in the air box but you must sacrifice the air filter. I'm in the process of looking for individual filters for the velocity stacks.
Dana

1 - 20 of 43 Posts