Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I stumbled across this forum when I was looking for some info on my boss noss system. I have 2 of the 2.5 lb bottles mounted on my down tubes. In the install manual it says to mount the "Smart Box" in the airbox cover. I already have a air compressor for the Arnott air ride suspension kit so I mounted the Smart Box under my seat. Does this make a difference on the amount of power I would be getting? On the dyno I am only getting about 31-33 hp increases with 2-25hp nozzles. Your help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Stomper.

I just took my spark plugs out and noticed something that is making me more than a little nervous. The side electrode is complete burnt off back to the curve and is charred black down the straight part of the side electrode. I scoped the cylinder but don't see any scoring, thank goodness. What does this mean?

·
REVOLUTION !!!
21,412 Posts
Try doing a search - type in Boss Noss and there should be some valuable threads there for reading ...

·
Registered
167 Posts
what tuner are you running with your boss noss what is your EFI controller set at. sounds like you have a too hot of a plug or running it to lean I would look at your afr setting to start with

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what tuner are you running with your boss noss what is your EFI controller set at. sounds like you have a too hot of a plug or running it to lean I would look at your afr setting to start with
I am running the Boss Noss tuner and also a Screaming Eagle Race Tuner. I haven't anything on the SERT since I had the Slip Ons put on, which was before the nitrous. I was under the impression that the BN kit would compensate the AFR with their tuner. I am not positive what it is set at but if memory serves me correctly somewhere around 7..?

·
Registered
132 Posts
sounds like you are running to lean.. I would richen up through the settings on the controller. As for your jetting, your making good power, and I will assume that because your running so lean.. Im assuming your running a wet kit, there for if your running 2 25hp jets thats what it is 25hp, not 50hp..

·
Registered
167 Posts
I would put it on a dyno and check the afr with my 60 hp shot I was at 7 1/2 but on my map my afr was alittle rich I think is around 50 bucks but warth the money

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
the fueler for boss noss kits are made by dobecks performance, it won't matter where you put it, it won't make anymore power under the seat or in the airbox. http://www.dobeckperformance.com/contactdobeck.asp heres the link, they can help you with some settings. the fueler is shipped to boss noss with a generic setting and i don't know if boss noss programs it before they ship it with a kit or not.

essentially its the same as this http://www.electronicjetkit.com/Harley/viewproduct.asp?partnumber=9120269 but it has a trigger wire to activate the NOS and when the NOS is activated the fueler will add the desired fuel for the settings.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sounds like you are running to lean.. I would richen up through the settings on the controller. As for your jetting, your making good power, and I will assume that because your running so lean.. Im assuming your running a wet kit, there for if your running 2 25hp jets thats what it is 25hp, not 50hp..
According to Boss Noss 2-25hp nozzles DOES equal 50hp of power at the CRANK. He said I should be seeing somewhere around 40-42 at the rear wheel.

He also said it does not matter where I mount the smart box. Part of the reason my spark plug was burnt was due to it being in to high of a heat range. I will be getting 2 heat ranges lower than what the stock harley plugs are. I also ordered two of the 30hp nozzles to see if that will make a difference when the bike goes on the dyno sometime next week.

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Thank you Stomper.

I just took my spark plugs out and noticed something that is making me more than a little nervous. The side electrode is complete burnt off back to the curve and is charred black down the straight part of the side electrode. I scoped the cylinder but don't see any scoring, thank goodness. What does this mean?
it means that if you didn`t torch the pistons you are a lucky dawg...burning the ground strap shows extreme excess heat in the cyl...too much timing and or not enough fuel ..... how much fuel are you adding with the nitrous and how much timing are you pulling? i burned a ground strap on my nitrous kawasaki one time and it pushed the top of the piston in... excess heat and pressure,,, another time a small piece of grit partially plugged one of the fuel jets and it burned a hole it the top of the piston big enough to stick a finger through... you need to look at your tune up before you do major engine damage...

·
Registered
167 Posts
what plug are you thinking about using I have a super charger now but I am running a colder plug ngk DCPR8E works good you will like the 60 hp I still wish I never sold my boss noss

·
Banned
8,925 Posts
Here are some links:

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94636

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69586

I have my set waiting to be installed (formerly James' set) since I've had no time and I still want to get seat time "à la stock" at the track. My local Nitrous guru checked the set and the nozzles and warned me the (for example) 2 x 40 HP nozzles would yield 80 HP, not 40, and I was like "no way"; so now I get it if it's "at the crank" so thanks for that. If you contact Boss Noss again ask them if the position of the bottles is a concern since some here where told to install them backwards and inclined back to get the most of the "liquid" nitrous, which makes sense. Also researching on the nitrous controllers for the the future, I don't pretend to be a track rockstar, just want to be safe! Too many people already telling me: "That bike is too nice to be using it for racing"... I'll be damned if I crash my candy cherry chrome whore.... :hidesbeh:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
what plug are you thinking about using I have a super charger now but I am running a colder plug ngk DCPR8E works good you will like the 60 hp I still wish I never sold my boss noss
I believe that is the same plug I am thinking about going with. I am really curious to see what will happen on the dyno this time around.

EDIT: What setup were you running with the 60HP? Dyno results? Noticeable difference? Would a 26t pulley be "too much"

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here are some links:

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94636

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69586

I have my set waiting to be installed (formerly James' set) since I've had no time and I still want to get seat time "à la stock" at the track. My local Nitrous guru checked the set and the nozzles and warned me the (for example) 2 x 40 HP nozzles would yield 80 HP, not 40, and I was like "no way"; so now I get it if it's "at the crank" so thanks for that. If you contact Boss Noss again ask them if the position of the bottles is a concern since some here where told to install them backwards and inclined back to get the most of the "liquid" nitrous, which makes sense. Also researching on the nitrous controllers for the the future, I don't pretend to be a track rockstar, just want to be safe! Too many people already telling me: "That bike is too nice to be using it for racing"... I'll be damned if I crash my candy cherry chrome whore.... :hidesbeh:
From what I understand, the Boss Noss V-Rod system bottles have a siphon tube in them to get the nitrous out. Basically if you DO have a siphon tube in the bottle and you turn it upside down you will not be able to get the nitrous out. He told me the way to check this is to hold the bottle in an upright position and open the valve long enough to see "white" liquid come out of it. If you see no visible white liquid then you do not have a siphon tube and you will need to mount it upside down to get superior results. Hope this helps.

PS-If you are going to run 2-40HP shots of nitrous I would not do this unless you are on a Dyno. From my understanding 2-30HP nozzles is about the must you want to go with out leaning it out too much and causing damage. Just my .02 though.

·
TRANNY KILLER :)
14,572 Posts
On the dyno I am only getting about 31-33 hp increases with 2-25hp nozzles.
I have worked my way up the nozzles to the 50HP shot set but I am only getting 31-38 HP added on the dyno... I'm happy with that, it's a 35% bump in power!

·
Banned
8,925 Posts
From what I understand, the Boss Noss V-Rod system bottles have a siphon tube in them to get the nitrous out. Basically if you DO have a siphon tube in the bottle and you turn it upside down you will not be able to get the nitrous out. He told me the way to check this is to hold the bottle in an upright position and open the valve long enough to see "white" liquid come out of it. If you see no visible white liquid then you do not have a siphon tube and you will need to mount it upside down to get superior results. Hope this helps.

PS-If you are going to run 2-40HP shots of nitrous I would not do this unless you are on a Dyno. From my understanding 2-30HP nozzles is about the must you want to go with out leaning it out too much and causing damage. Just my .02 though.
That's another reason why I haven't installed it since I want to do it at the dyno and make sure everything is safe inside. Thanks! :thumb:

·
Banned
8,925 Posts
I believe that is the same plug I am thinking about going with. I am really curious to see what will happen on the dyno this time around.

EDIT: What setup were you running with the 60HP? Dyno results? Noticeable difference? Would a 26t pulley be "too much"
Sorry since I know it wasn't addressed to me but be careful and unless you have a progressive NOS controller DON'T hit that spray button on 1st gear or even 2nd gear IMHO, since you'll be getting the whole HP boost at once and the stability of the bike will suffer (and for instance your health!). Even More careful with the 26T + NOS... James will chime in with his opinion...

PS: James and Johnny Hotfoot: did you used you stock injectors with your NOS? My 1250 engine is completely stock, but been wondering if I would top off the injectors if I go with the largest HP nozzles...

·
Registered
167 Posts
I had no problems with the stock injectors as for the 26t pulley. I think I posted some pictures of what happen to me and the 26t the 28t work just fine

1 - 20 of 22 Posts