Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to add some more power to the bike this winter im thinking about the boss noss stealth system what is the difference with the kit that taps into the tank and the one that dosent i want the easiest and safest kit to use

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
the kit that taps into the tank uses a siphon tube and the nitrous flow creates a vacuum that pulls the fuel up.. the other ups the injector on time to add fuel for the nitrous.. both have advantages and disadvantages.. i wouldn`t want to drill my gas tank but i think that a siphon tube through the gas cap would work, but that is just my opinion, check with boss noss.. i have been watching this thread as i am interested in how well these 2 systems have been working,, i hope somebody post with their experience withe either system..

·
Registered
114 Posts
i read somewhere about being able to inject alcohol and fuel so that u dont have 2 retard ur ignition. does anyone know anything about this or did i make it up

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah im with you on the hole in the tank i really dont like the idea of doing that but for the price difference in the two kits it might be worth it

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
i read somewhere about being able to inject alcohol and fuel so that u dont have 2 retard ur ignition. does anyone know anything about this or did i make it up
if running a wet system you can run an auxiliary tank(if you can find a place to put it) with alcohol or a fuel like vp c16 that have very high octane ratings and are slow burning,, that will keep down the possibility of detonation and won`t require much if any ignition retard when activating the nitrous..

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
yeah im with you on the hole in the tank i really dont like the idea of doing that but for the price difference in the two kits it might be worth it
that is why i bring up the possibility of a siphon tube through a custom gas cap.. no need to drill the tank and you can always put the stock cap back on later,, i see no reason why that wouldn`t work but i would ask boss noss before i did something different from how they designed the kit.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was thinking the same thing about the gas cap you say about the ignition retard is this something you would have to do only when your on the nitrous then change it back when your not running the nitrous im new to the whole nitrous thing thats why im trying to find out as much as i can before i decide to get a system

·
ISU
1,446 Posts
I just bought a kit and i have been talking to VRFID3 makers. they said that with their tuner, you can retard the timing. with their tuner the nitrous will be engaged by the tuner not the person. it will have adjustable windows such as it will not engage unless above 90% WOT. the tuner also will not engage the N2O unless it is above a RPM window and will automatically disengage the N2O above the window sat. this will eliminate the the chance of activating to early or hitting the rev limiter with the N2O still activated. Both can hurt a motor.
I have not completed my set up yet but it will be by the end of the winter.

Also since the VRFID3 is a auto tune module, the set up will not try and tune with the N2O activated

·
Premium Member
2,724 Posts
just something simple here. For those of you who are worried about drilling into the tank, you can find a replacement for about $50 on ebay all the time from people who have moved to the bigger tanks. Now if you already have a newer model, you cant but I cant imagine a new tank to be that expensive.

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
Why not just put a fitting in the flange? That's replaceable. And you won't have to dink with a tube through your gas cap every time you fuel up. And, you can just cap it off when you no longer need it.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I was thinking the same thing about the gas cap you say about the ignition retard is this something you would have to do only when your on the nitrous then change it back when your not running the nitrous im new to the whole nitrous thing thats why im trying to find out as much as i can before i decide to get a system
if you are using pump gas with the nitrous you will have to retard the timing with the nitrous application.. there are several ways to do that. or with a wet system as stated you can run an auxiliary tank with a really high octane fuel like vp c16 or ethanol or methanol and the timing would probably not need retarding..

·
ISU
1,446 Posts
the tmax has the ability to retard timing and add fuel with the activation of nitrous..assuming you have an adequate fuel system for the resulting hp..
i talked to james and he said that at this time there is no way to link the systems together for the v-rod. they have a way for the big twins but not the v-rod. the bike will try and auto tune with the n2o on. they said if i could get the target afr the same as the n2o spray it may work. there is too much "ifs" and "mights" to run my bike that way. i would rather make sure it is right and not have to rebuild it bc of a poor system set up lol

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thats what ive been wondering how much money you will have into buying the system and doing it right and safe vs buying a used trask kit ive seen used turbo kits for around 3000

·
ISU
1,446 Posts
well the extra money that i am going to spend, i would be spending with any other power adder. i am going to get an engine brace and slipper clutch so i really cant count that as part of the kit price. i got my n20 kit slightly used for 400. and im hoping that i can sell my t-max and only spend 1-2 hundred extra for the new tuner. my goal is a thousand dollar kit all said and done

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well thats not bad im looking for the stealth kit new its around 1100 i think and i have the tmax also so ill have to do something with it this winter im doing the se cnc heads stage 2 cams and 58 mm tb i figured the boss noss would make a good addition to what in doing

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
i talked to james and he said that at this time there is no way to link the systems together for the v-rod. they have a way for the big twins but not the v-rod. the bike will try and auto tune with the n2o on. they said if i could get the target afr the same as the n2o spray it may work. there is too much "ifs" and "mights" to run my bike that way. i would rather make sure it is right and not have to rebuild it bc of a poor system set up lol
that suprises me ,, i haven`t done it so i don`t know for sure, but the software has a nitrous setting to retard timing and add fuel when the nitrous is activated.it also has a programable window switch. i know it is available for the big twins as you stated and i assumed it was available for a v-rod.. i am curious why the software appears to have that function if it isn`t available..you are right that relying of closed loop to add fuel for the nitrous would not work well..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts