Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for bearing with my guys during this install....

Just got off the phone with Chet, from what I described, I've got all the fuel injectors piggy backed correctly....

BUT, I dont have the horn hooked up right, thus the EFI isnt getting the appropriate signal which is why the bike isnt bogging down.

The directions show a picture that clearly states which wire from the smart box goes where... but doesnt tell which stock wires from the horn are positive or negative, or which prongs on the horn are positive or negative.

Without a test light/meter (which I dont know how to use anyway).... can anyone shed some light here?

The stock horn wires, one is black and one is yellow with a black stripe... which is the positive and which is the negative?

Holding the horn in your hand looking at the back side with the prong connectors facing up... which side is the positive and which is the negative?

Chet said that connecting it right should make it bog down... apparently it is possible to hook it up backwards and still active the solenoid in the smartbox and horn still work.. but the EFI cant differentiate between positive/negative so it has to be set up right.

Trial and error I can try to hook it up again and again, but if anyone can save me some time I'd appreciate it.

Lastly, just idling... Chet said hitting the horn/nitrous switch should immediately kill the engine with the extra fuel...

·
Sua Sponte
1,560 Posts
The yellow is the positive from the harness. The wires from the horn dont matter (I think). I have all my stuff through a 6 pronged arming switch but its not Boss-Noss. I know for sure the yellow wire is the positive.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Hook it up

Mark Ducati said:
Thanks for bearing with my guys during this install....

Just got off the phone with Chet, from what I described, I've got all the fuel injectors piggy backed correctly....

BUT, I dont have the horn hooked up right, thus the EFI isnt getting the appropriate signal which is why the bike isnt bogging down.

The directions show a picture that clearly states which wire from the smart box goes where... but doesnt tell which stock wires from the horn are positive or negative, or which prongs on the horn are positive or negative.

Without a test light/meter (which I dont know how to use anyway).... can anyone shed some light here?

The stock horn wires, one is black and one is yellow with a black stripe... which is the positive and which is the negative?

Holding the horn in your hand looking at the back side with the prong connectors facing up... which side is the positive and which is the negative?

Chet said that connecting it right should make it bog down... apparently it is possible to hook it up backwards and still active the solenoid in the smartbox and horn still work.. but the EFI cant differentiate between positive/negative so it has to be set up right.

Trial and error I can try to hook it up again and again, but if anyone can save me some time I'd appreciate it.

Lastly, just idling... Chet said hitting the horn/nitrous switch should immediately kill the engine with the extra fuel...
Hook the horn back up if it works the wires are correct if not switch 'em and mark where they go. When you get the switch hooked up, one way the horn will work, one way it will not, that's when you know your are ready to shoot the juice. Oh yeh, hang on.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The stock short wire from the horn that is connected to the rear Cyl is the ground. It's about 5 inches long. The other stock horn wire which goes into the harness is the positive. So the long one is the signal from the horn button which should be connected to the new switch harness.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts