Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Semper Fi
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, guys.

I am bored with my 8.5" rear.

I want to go wider..I am thinking 280mm or 300mm.

I really like the look of a stock swingarm, so I would like to use it. However, the stock swingarm must be cut and made wider.

My questions is: Does anyone know how much wider the swingarm has to be? And has anyone done this to get a 300mm?

Thanks!

·
Semper Fi
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey, guys. Thanks for all of your replies.

I am only interested in the widening of the swingarm--not the kits from Ricks, HogPro, PM, etc.

I won't contact Rick to see how much he charges because I know it's going to be more than Kosman and Hogpro.

I can widen it myself, too. I just need to know how much wider if any one else has done it.

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
I don't think anyone has widened the stocker to accomodate a 300 or around there. I am sure someone with a 300 would be willing to give you the internal dimensions of the swingarm, I just wonder what happens at the frame? Is the swingarm centered, or is it offset, and how much?

·
** Place ad here **
1,460 Posts
Hey, guys. Thanks for all of your replies.

I am only interested in the widening of the swingarm--not the kits from Ricks, HogPro, PM, etc.

I won't contact Rick to see how much he charges because I know it's going to be more than Kosman and Hogpro.

I can widen it myself, too. I just need to know how much wider if any one else has done it.
The logical conclusion would be 1.5". I think the easiest and safest way would be to buy a used swingarm and start with a mock-up with the swingarm at +1.5" and check the clearances with the mock-up.

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts
I'm thinking you will probably have to do something with the front pulley to offset it to clear the tire/wheel as well. I would not want to ride a machine with the rear wheel offset 3/4" to line up the existing front pulley.

·
Semper Fi
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, I am looking into places I can get off set pulley and plate.

These kits includes:

widened swingarm
front pulley and plate
rear axle
rear spacers
front pivot bolt
front spacers

I called Kosman like 4 times and wondered why no one is picking up---it's only 830 over there in Cali! ahaha

·
AIM Bagger Edition
7,798 Posts
That's why I suggeted Hogpro they've done the legwork for you.

If you don't want to buy the entire kit they might just sell you pieces.

My opinion is why reinvent the wheel when they've done it already.

Back in 05 I bought their kit, including the proper offset front pulley, to fit my 04 B model with a 240 and it worked right the first time without any problems.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Semper Fi
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's why I suggeted Hogpro they've done the legwork for you.

If you don't want to buy the entire kit they might just sell you pieces.

My opinion is why reinvent the wheel when they've done it already.

Back in 05 I bought their kit, including the proper offset front pulley, to fit my 04 B model with a 240 and it worked right the first time without any problems.

Just my 2 cents.
I don't mind doing some "legwork" to save a few hundred bucks:)

Hogpro doesn't sell the pieces separately. They sell them as "kits". I don't know why peices can't be sold separately if they make them themselves. This suggests to me they have another shop do the "kits" for them.

This is what's included:
widened swingarm
front pulley--------250 (exact)
rear axle-----------75 (est)
rear spacers-------25 (est)
front pivot bolt----75 (est)
front spacers------25 (est)
belt----------------175 (exact)
brake line----------100 (est)

I can get the entire kit from hogpro for 1695. That tells me the widened swingarm itself is about 970 bucks. I can't send in my swingarm to reduce cost.

If I can't find any place more affordable, then I'll go with Hogpro. They do have some sick products!

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
Just a question, but it looks like you have air ride. Will a 300 fit between your framerail? Is it a concern?

·
Semper Fi
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was told by HP that a 280 is the widest I can go so I am going to stick to a 280.

I should go to the HD dealer to see how my 06 frame is different than the 07 frame.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I was told by HP that a 280 is the widest I can go so I am going to stick to a 280.

I should go to the HD dealer to see how my 06 frame is different than the 07 frame.
Awe, C'mon!. I'm just now working on the budget 240 wide on my '06D. I can't keep up with all this.

Going from stock 180 to 240 or 260 is a big difference. A jump from there to 280 won't be as dramatic. Seems like big $ for litle impact in my opinion.

As I think about this some more, perhaps we can swap in a later model swingarm. Worth exploring and much more cost effective. I can't believe this hasn't been done before. We need to start doing some research.

·
AIM Bagger Edition
7,798 Posts
Awe, C'mon!. I'm just now working on the budget 240 wide on my '06D. I can't keep up with all this.

Going from stock 180 to 240 or 260 is a big difference. A jump from there to 280 won't be as dramatic. Seems like big $ for litle impact in my opinion.

As I think about this some more, perhaps we can swap in a later model swingarm. Worth exploring and much more cost effective. I can't believe this hasn't been done before. We need to start doing some research.
Later model swingarms are made to go on wider frames than the older style V-Rods.

·
Semper Fi
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
^^^I always thought a simple fix would be to make spacers in the front pivot.

I guess it's more complicated than that..hahah.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts