Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Autobanmod
9,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Karzza made an interesting post which I'd like to follow up here in a separate thread.
Audi/VW 1.8 turbo is using a similar type (Weber) fuel regulator than V-Rod. An inside diameter of a fuel return drilling is smaller than V-Rod's, so it would be risky to use Audi's regulator, especally with an hi-pressure (gear type) pump in V-Rod.

You can use billet cover made for Audi with V-Rods original regulator, to get a possibility to adjust the pressure and to follow intake manifold pressure. Cover needs some modifications to get more space for the throttle linkages.

Vacuum/boost control hose have to be connect to intake manifold, not to plenum. (some turbo-kit supplier are connecting this control incorrectry, like IAT, MAP as well)

·
Autobanmod
9,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
These fuel pressure regulators are easy to get on ebay, the preload is adjustable between 3 and 5 bar.
I'm planning to keep the stock fuel pump and to keep 3 bar fuel pressure, however with boost control - so 4 bar abs @ 1 bar boost overpressure.
The one I got is a bit too long to connect the hose for following the boost pressure, but I believe it is possible to move the cam lever kit some 5mm and to use a modified 90° grease nippel for connecting the hose.
Again thanks to Karzza!

Attachments

·
The Hawk
3,808 Posts
Isn't the stock fuel pressure at 59#-60# equal to 4 bar, approximately? One bar = 14.7#

There are companies that make boost indexed fuel pressure regulators and the old RCC turbo setup I ran used a BEGI regulator setup that is highly adjustable and increased fuel pressure 4# for every 1# of boost. It did require a high pressure fuel pump to work with it.

Mike

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
i guess karzza is running really big injectors so he can run 3bars base fuel pressure ..that is an automotive standard pressure.. that also gives more room for fuel pressure increase with boost..maybe karzza will chime in and lets us know if i am on the same page or not..

·
all or nothing
1,373 Posts
This is the cover I'm using.

http://www.amworks.com/eng/irtokannet.htm

I have lately used fuel pressure = pressure on intake valve + 4.5bar. Fuel pressure varies then from idle 3.8bar to full boost 5.5bar. The highest fuel flow in Thundermax has been 64%. Pump gasoline.
I'm using Destroyer injectors.
(1487cc & 1bar boost & I-cooler)

·
Autobanmod
9,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
all or nothing
1,373 Posts

·
all or nothing
1,373 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
...no no, I have been driving 15.000km with my amateur turbo set up.
Yes I know and am very very happy for that fact. I was just wondering why the search of this billet regulator when you can add a fitting to the stock reg or go with a Bosch 5 bar that fits right inplace of stock with no mods.

·
Autobanmod
9,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes I know and am very very happy for that fact. I was just wondering why the search of this billet regulator when you can add a fitting to the stock reg or go with a Bosch 5 bar that fits right inplace of stock with no mods.
Can you please post a link to the Bosch 5 bar regulator?
Is it boost controlled?

·
all or nothing
1,373 Posts
I was just wondering why the search of this billet regulator when you can add a fitting to the stock reg or go with a Bosch 5 bar that fits right inplace of stock with no mods.
In a previous 187hp engine I used 4.2...4.3bar, probably 4bar would has been enought. In a new 30% bigger and 25% higher boosted engine injector duty cycle start to be quite long when 4.5bar.
I try to stay max 4.5bar (+boost at both side of the injector) to be sure that spray patterns are still ok.

Nice to play...this is just a hobby for me.

·
Autobanmod
9,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a spare fuel tank complete with pump and a spare throttle body, so I made myself a little teststand to play with the components and to measure fuel pressure at different flows.

For the record, the pirate boost controller I ordered on ebay is a piece of shit.
It responds slow and is adjustable only in a narrow band.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Thanks for the update Jan-Dirk, Just think of it this way, your pain was someone’s gain because I am sure you saved someone several days of frustration.

Thanks for the feedback on the knockoff regulator

1 - 19 of 19 Posts