Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the correct place to post this, if not, sorry.

I am looking for a bluetooth helmet and with so many to choose from, I am at a loss on which is the best. I want a bluetooth stereo built into the helmet that is loud enough to hear at cruising speeds of around 70 mph. I would like to try beofre I buy but where I live, no one carries anything like that. Does anybody have any 1st hand recommendations? Thanks Cd Rider

·
Registered
568 Posts
I've got a nolan n-102 modular with the n-com bluetooth setup. Hooks up to my iphone great. Stereo and telephone. Everything is built into the helmet so there's nothing to fumble around with.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
I chose the "add on" route. Picked up a Chatterbox XBi2 intercom/BT unit that mounts onto any helmet.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Girl has this helmet, I cannot tell you how light it is, everyone who see's it and picks it up falls in love with it.

In Action

·
Registered
42 Posts
I went with the add-on route because I could not give up my shoie helmet. I added a Scala Rider Cardo G4 to my helmet and to my wife's helmet. It works great. Blackberry works, GPS works. intercom works. Sound quality at speed is excellent. Now that my wife has her own bike (sporty) I can say the intercom works over several hundreds of yards

·
KC Rally Vet
3,172 Posts
I use the BlueAnt F4 works great on both bikes and between bikes out to about 1/4 mile I think.

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
I have a Scala Rider for my Sat Nav. Fits well, but mine is not stereo and useless while travelling at even medium pace, noisy over 100MPH.

Quite good for two years ago, I'd hope fr better now.

Following thread with interest...

·
Registered
37 Posts
I would recommend the Oneal Fastback helmet, I have the one without the noise cancelling on it and me and the wife can talk to each other over 70mph, if I had to do it over again I would get the Oneal with noise cancel.

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
i havea scala rider. bluetooth is loud and clear at 85 mph and people can hear me well too believe it or not
Interesting. They must vary in different helmets. Mine is in a Caberg Rhyno. Nobody can understand my calls at speed, I have to slow right down.

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts

·
Autobanmod
9,871 Posts
Still have the Shoey since the day I bought my bike, up to now I didn't know that there are helmets available with built in speakers, bluetooth, mp3, etc.
Nice! Time to go shopping :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
I looked on line for a lot of bluetooth helmets and the O'Neal Tirade seemed like the best one. I waited 5 moths for it to come out and was nervous about buying it without trying it. now that i have it i love it. it also as a built in FM radio. you can search for it and buy it from many websites. i got it direct from Oneal and they told me i could return it if i didnt like it. I kept it.

take a look at it here
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/38/29807/ITEM/ONeal-Racing-Tirade-Bluetooth-Helmet.aspx?SiteID=SLI|Bluetooth Helmet&WT.MC_ID=10010

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
I'm using the HD bluetooth kit. Comes with two sets of phones, blue tooth gizmo, pairs easy with iphone and garmin GPS. The phones fitted into my flip up helmet easy with out bothering my ears.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Interesting. They must vary in different helmets. Mine is in a Caberg Rhyno. Nobody can understand my calls at speed, I have to slow right down.
I have the Scala Rider G4 and agree with the comments above (works great). I tried a number of built in helmets, was not happy with the quality. Returned all of them. Got another Arai (always had one) and it is hard to have a cheaper one (quality). If you can find a quiet helmet and get an add on communication, great way to go, of course you end up with a helmet that costs $800 with the equipent in it, which I carry with me like a purse :blahblah: but I'm very happy with it.

Here is the review I wrote back in March on Revzilla's site (not bad prices)

"Quality Rating
By Rob B on March 16, 2010 Sizing:n/aPros:Adjustable volume and VOX operation, Easy Instalation, Operates as advertised, Plenty of volume in speakers, Rugged, See Comments below, and

FunctionalityCons:Took a long time to be released

Comments:A review of Scala Rider G4 - I have used this product for 10 hours and am very pleased. This unit has the most functionality out of any I have researched and used, period, and there were many for the past 8 months. Seperate units, those installed in the helmets, and this out performs them all. The auto volume adjustment is very nice in stop and go traffic, no music blasting your ears when sitting at a light after running 65mph. Voice command answer for phone calls was great. Of course the faster you go, the more noise you have in your helmet. As a result, those with windshields will always benefit by not having to turn the volume up as much as those without. Speakers have plenty of power, mounting was easy and speakers were placed under the pull over material covering the inside of the helmet (very thin material). Try to get the speakers close to your ears, not because they are not loud enough (they are) but to cut down on the noise you receive normally riding with the helmet at highway speeds. I mounted this under the material to avoid my ears from pulling at the speakers when putting the helmet on. Controls are a bit fim to press, I imagine they will soften with use (and I plan to). Pairing was simple and phones with voice commands will benefit (make sure you understand how to use your voice commands from the phone since this can be a tricky under normal use). If you have a phone that receives e-mail and text, turn off alerts with the exception of phone calls (if you have this function) to avoid disruption during media play. I have not used the FM function at this time. All media was provided via bluetooth from my phone. If you have any specific questions, please post here, more than happy to help based on my experience. The only Con was how long it took for the product to come out, however, it was worth the wait. Do your research and compare functionality to others. As of today, this is the one and all the others are way behind. Besides, you can use your preferred brand of helmet instead of using a cheaper version simply since it has some phone capabilities (I almost made this mistake) and was not satisfied with the quality of the helmets. Easy riding all and I hope this helps."

I have a few thousand miles on this now and am still very happy. :blahblah:

A final comment, with the install, make sure your earphones are against your ears, seems obvious, but makes a huge difference, and mic placement is also important. I have my ear phones installed under my material in the helmet on top of the padding. Added some extra padding under the phones to raise them to my ears. Arai Profie is the helmet. Let me know if you have any questions. (And the charge really does last 8 - 10 hours, long enough for a full day and quick charge for the next).

·
Registered
157 Posts
The O'Neal Tirade has everything you need build in for $300. the quality is very good. I use it with an Iphone to listen to mp3s, on line radio, or radio stations with the built in FM tuner. even at +60 mph it sounds pretty good. you can also use it for rider to rider intercom. and the voice command works with the iphone to make phone calls.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts