Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While riding home last night I decided to look back at my pipes for some reason. Well when I did I noticed that i had a blue flame coming out of the rear pipe while cruising, if I cracked the throttle open it would turn red!? Now I know the rear pipe is very short (see V-Lux Pipes) but I still don't think a flame should be coming out of the pipe.. Thoughts on this situation anybody?

See sig for bike info..

·
MODOHOLIC ANONYMOUS
7,448 Posts
Cool effect but prob not good for the motor.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought about trying to take a pic of it, but late at night, highway speeds, I decided against it.

As far as a dyno never felt the need for one since they are only good for that day at that time etc etc. It still runs really good despite the flame.

I do tend to agree that the flame is more because of excess fuel being burnt in the pipe.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I thought about trying to take a pic of it, but late at night, highway speeds, I decided against it.

As far as a dyno never felt the need for one since they are only good for that day at that time etc etc. It still runs really good despite the flame.

I do tend to agree that the flame is more because of excess fuel being burnt in the pipe.
It is definitely the pipes.That style of pipe is made for wide open running and they require a different fuel and timing setting for running wot.You can eliminate most of the flames out the pipes by extending them long.Paint the pipes,then cut them off where the paint stops burning and install a set of fee flowing mufflers at the collector,or end of the pipe.This will give you a point to start when the tuner starts manipulating the program in the ecm.You might not like a dyno,but it's the only way we have to get a decent tune on the V-Rod.There are some replacement ecm's that claim they have adaptive capabilities,but they are expensive and not very smart.The engine has to be run for a couple of months for it to gain adaptive memory.By the time one of these aftermarket slow assed,lame ecm's learns the engines exhaust output and makes the adjustments,the engine will have internal damage.
If we could get an ecm w true wide band 02's like our late cars and trucks have that learn immediately,then there would be no need for a dyno.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts