Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
The Heavycycles Guy
6,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this guy seems to know his stuff:

http://www.bluegauges.com/index2.htm

he's done a reg'lar Harley, but no sign of a V-Rod... anyone want to be a guinea pig? :)

Check out the reviews he has on his site too.

If you happen to get in touch with him, perhaps mention that you heard about him from me.

·
Craig Fehr
2,506 Posts
Good find Joe.
Does anyone know if the V-Rod gauge has bulbs or LEDs in it? Unless I'm mistaken it looks like this guy can only change the color if the gauge already uses LEDs. I sent him an email anyway to verify. I'll let you know when I hear back.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
I know several sport bike riders that have used this company and have been very happy with the work. He has done a lot of Honda VFR guages & I am sending him the guages on my VFR later this month. The VFR uses LED's.

·
Come back Max
435 Posts
Cheers Joe
the Yellow Box speedometer re-calibrator could be the answer to getting the speedo difference on the 30T - 28T pulleys sorted. :thumb:
Any techies out there willing to comment?

·
Spoolin
82 Posts
LOL, funny this thread started, I just sent my gauges in two days ago to Scott. There are 18 small surface mount LEDs. He said that it is no problem and has all of the available stuff to do it. I should have it back on Friday or Monday. I will post pics when it arrives. I also told him that if all goes well that fellow rodders from this forum will prob jump on it. And.....to give them a deal of course!

·
Banned
1,307 Posts
turbohog said:
LOL, funny this thread started, I just sent my gauges in two days ago to Scott. There are 18 small surface mount LEDs. He said that it is no problem and has all of the available stuff to do it. I should have it back on Friday or Monday. I will post pics when it arrives. I also told him that if all goes well that fellow rodders from this forum will prob jump on it. And.....to give them a deal of course!

I wonder if he can do the deeper bluish/purple color seen on VW gauge clusters... I really like that. 470nm?

·
Spoolin
82 Posts
I have a 2003 Jetta. There really isnt much difference between blue/waterclear leds. The ones in the jetta are much the same. It really depends on the voltage supplied to them, the closer the voltage to 3.5, the brighter/whiter the colour.

·
Banned
1,307 Posts
turbohog said:
Oh and yes, it is 470 nanometers......
Definately put me on that list then... This fall, that is. Ride season is about to start!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Blue is cool, but for an iinstrument cluster I would prefer red. You lose less night vision with red light.

Rodman

·
Banned
1,307 Posts
rodman said:
Blue is cool, but for an iinstrument cluster I would prefer red. You lose less night vision with red light.

Rodman
Never been a problem with my Vdub... The blue is realy eye catching. I'm sure he could do all red if that's what you prefer.

·
Craig Fehr
2,506 Posts
Hey Turbohog, Scott just emailed me back and said he'd have one shortly and would post pics on his site ASAP. Must be yours he's referring to.

I have a Passat and I really do like the color of the gauges as well. I think that blue looks awesome and can't wait to see what it would look like on my V-Rod.

·
Todd
482 Posts
That is awesome :notworth: It will go with my blue LED lights that accent my bike. Is there anyway we can give you a bunch of business fast with a group purchase discount. :hmm:
Thanks

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
Also, thank you for putting the forum on your site :) looks great.

·
v -n*a*t*i*o*n.c*o*m
951 Posts
I am definately interested

·
Banned
1,307 Posts
fehrc said:
Great news Scott! As soon as I get back home I'm sending mine in.
Just sent my cluster in.
I'm having a slightly different color scheme done...
- First, the backlight is 470nm wavelength light. That's the same color as in VW clusters. It's a very deep blue, and when it mixes with red gauge needles, it gives an almost purple hue... Very sharp.

- I highly reccommend red needles for appropriate contrast... Blue background with Blue needles will definately be difficult to see without taking time to look down and focus.
Here's and example of a VW cluster with red needles and a Harley dyna cluster with blue needles:

See what I'm saying? Definately red needles...

- For added effect, I'm having the gauges needle turn yellow (like when low fuel) when in alert status. It should contrast nicely and serve a constant reminder to GET FUEL NOW...

Does anyone know if the RPM gauge changes color at redline, I've never looked down to see. If so I'll have it turn yellow too.

·
The Heavycycles Guy
6,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think I'm doing my Softail guages like that, the blue with red... seems to match the H-D LED fuel gauge better that way too.

I may put my indicator lights into the speedo too if I can find someone to make a new gauge face overlay.

it would be nice to have the fuel level LEDs inside it too (Softail)

I have a spare speedo I got off of ebay that I have ripped apart right now, so, when I get some time... :rolleyes:

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
I am almost sure the tach needle turns red at redline. Would be better if it turned colors 500 rpm BEFORE the rev limiter kicks in. BTW, the gauges look sharp!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts