Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have black soot with my Rinehart .As I recall this is from running rich .How do I adjust to make things a bit leaner ?

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I don't think you can do much about the soot, you will always get it no matter what, it's the nature of the exhaust and the direction it spits out the gasses. You can try sending the map to James and leaning it out, unless someone knows how to set the AFR targets here manually?

·
Fitzy - 1302
1,071 Posts
You can change AFR's manually if you need to, hows your mileage? Black soot is a good sign and if it runs good and strong I'd leave it alone.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
^ My mileage is horrible. 27-29 MPG. How do you change AFR's manually and what is a good target to have for a good balance of fuel economy?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I`m running pretty good .I`m getting about 33 mpg daily commuting .

·
TURBONATOR
1,366 Posts
^ My mileage is horrible. 27-29 MPG. How do you change AFR's manually and what is a good target to have for a good balance of fuel economy?
Look in tps/rpm and see what the target is around 14. Tps at the rpm you cruise. Point and click on the afr block and hit space bar to get detailed info.

·
THUNDER X 2
388 Posts
Some of have learned the hard way. Don't do any adjusting until you have let James look at your map.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
an a/f or around 14.0 at cruise will get good gas mileage and it needs to be around 13.0 to 12.8 at full throttle for maximum power... i wouldn`t go changing the map if you don`t fully understand what is happening when you do.. it is easy to really screw up if you don`t know how to tune fuel injected bikes.. it is very possible to burn up a motor so is best to be cautious..

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
there is another factor that can come in to play.. i assume you have the t-max with closed loop compensation.. some really good working exhaust systems can pull fuel across on overlap and fool the o2 sensor into thinking the mixture is rich when it isn`t.... and an exhaust with very little baffling can get reversion waves of fresh air up to the o2 sensors that cause the o2 sensors to read a lean mixture when it isn`t and when it auto tunes to that reading you have a motor running extremely rich.. can be confusing even to a tuner with lots of experience

1 - 9 of 9 Posts