Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i no black smoke is only unburnt fuel and isnt bad but it still looks like shit if u ask me....wen i accelerate hard and snap the clutch or even pul the clutch to rev it it puffs out a good amount of black smoke...i have the tabs tuner filter and pipes...is there any way to get it to stop without changing the tuner right now(kinda tight on cash):broke:...does any one elses do this or is it just mine...i spoke with tabs and they told me where the screws need to b set on the low mid n high dials and checked and double checked...any advice would help thanks

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its not like its a diesel but its still there and annoying...i no its gettin more fuel then it need so do u think if i ran it topless it would even out or do i have to lean it out a little bit

·
Registered
83 Posts
Dyno

Mine does the same thing with V-modde pipes & a PC5 I am on my 2nd map from V-mod but still same issues, Tues it goes for a custom tune on the Dyno that ought to solve this issue or at least thats what I have been told! I will post results!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:popcorn

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hmmm...next time i ride i think im gonna have to ride it a lil harder then usual n see wat happens

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
FYI...To much black smoke can be very bad. If you have that much unburned gasoline it can wash the oil off cylinder walls and prematurely wear out your rings in a hurry. I would take care of it in a hurry. It sounds to me like you need to just take some fuel out with the tuner though no a big deal to do with a tab tuner.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
where do i lean it out low mid or high?

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
is it possible you have varnish and other deposits built up in the engine?
maybe try some top end cleaner or such

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
where do i lean it out low mid or high?
When exactly is the black smoke visible? In lieu of getting it on a dyno the next best thing is to have somebody follow you if it is only when you snap the throttle open then it sounds like the accel richment may just be to much if that is the case I am not sure that is correctable with the tab fueler. If it is all the time when you hold it steady under load and any given rpm then that is where you are going to need to take the fuel out. IE: if it only happening at 7 to 9000 rpm then you would take iot out of the high setting I would presume, assuming that what the Tab fueler pots are broken up into a low, mid and high rpm settings and not a low, mid, high throttle angle.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Just got home from RobsDyno in Mass. just like I thought it was running very Fat, he created a new custom map brought the air/fuel in line and managed the best pull of105.96 HP & 77.05 Torque not bad since it was very hot & very humid. Throttle response is greatly improved and all the low end stuttering is gone, she is running great! If anyone is looking for a good Dyno guy & they are near Mass. give Rob a call 1-978-985-0441.

·
Registered
569 Posts
set up

Just got home from RobsDyno in Mass. just like I thought it was running very Fat, he created a new custom map brought the air/fuel in line and managed the best pull of105.96 HP & 77.05 Torque not bad since it was very hot & very humid. Throttle response is greatly improved and all the low end stuttering is gone, she is running great! If anyone is looking for a good Dyno guy & they are near Mass. give Rob a call 1-978-985-0441.
Are you completely stock? By Fat do you mean Rich?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
its only when i snap the throttle like to do a roller....i rode it a lil more agressive today and tried to keep it above 4000 rpm and it stoped and only did it a lil if i was cruisin for a lil then stopped at a light and after the light punched it but it was no where near it b4....i always ran it around or under 4000 unless i was on the highway cause idn somehting about reving high on a harley bugs me but i guell i will have to just get use to it....and 105 hp?? that sounds a lil low...i didnt tune mine just a dyno and ran 112 at 77

·
Registered
569 Posts
Not really...

its only when i snap the throttle like to do a roller....i rode it a lil more agressive today and tried to keep it above 4000 rpm and it stoped and only did it a lil if i was cruisin for a lil then stopped at a light and after the light punched it but it was no where near it b4....i always ran it around or under 4000 unless i was on the highway cause idn somehting about reving high on a harley bugs me but i guell i will have to just get use to it....and 105 hp?? that sounds a lil low...i didnt tune mine just a dyno and ran 112 at 77
105 isn't low it's the number you get when running stock. I had to do some digging around to find my first dyno after my stage 1 kit and this was it:

My Set up include a SEPST with K&N Filter and tab pipes. When had it on the Dyno it was 113.02 and MT if 78.93. This number was all the above (non topless) and dyno tuned. These numbers are in the range fo what you could expect to find with stage 1 modss.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yeah Rob the guy that was running the dyno was a little disappointed that he could not get more HP gains but said it was most liklely the air quality & temp. it was 94degrees on the last run that he pulled 105.7HP & it was very humid. I feel the 300.00 bucks was well worth it just to get the crisper throttle response & no more black smoke also he said I might see a slight increase in fuel MPG? according to the graphs the original air/ fuel was way rich so all that unused fuel was just going out the pipes. Cant wait to take it for a blast on a nice crisp cool weather day! Humidity seems to suck the power right out of these bikes.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
so after goind on a little night ride i was accelerating up a mountain road and my bike decided to spudder and felt like it hit a wall....i think the plugs fouled cause thats wat it feels like to me whole i gimped it home...friday it goes in to get remapped to run the pipes and filter and im ripping the POS tabs tuner out...over the winter when i do my full exhaust i will get a tuner and have it dyno tuned

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.