Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
500 miles old now, what now? Given the construction my instinct is to start pushing it fairly hard to prevent the bores glazing, or should I wait until after the 1,000 mile oil change? I was thinking of walloping down to Spain over the back roads this weekend - too soon?

Sales droid told me to run it in at 2,500 to 3,500, which was really bad advice, and I didn't find out until I went back to get the Book Of Lies 150 miles later (couldn't fit the huge book in my leathers when I picked up the bike).

Also, noticeable puff of smoke when you blip it warm - not oil (pipes clean) so must be fuel, bit of a surprise with an EPA strangled bike, anyone seen this?

·
Registered
110 Posts
my salesman told me to run it like i wanted after 500 miles i have a 07 night rod special and mine has the black smoke to im not sure about that im looking for advice too!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Alright, not that its the truth, but the MoCo told my tech that the black smoke is from a rich condition present at starting, a normal function of the system during startup. not a problem, just the way the bike is. again, dont know if its true, but it seems credible. as far as going on a long ride, if you have 500 miles, (830 or so, KM) you can run it as you like. just watch your oil level, check hot, straight level, not leaning at all. let it rev, it'll be fine. If you can, keep some extra oil with you as consumption is not unknown even beyond 1K mi. especially if you use syn-3.

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd ignore salesmen and talk to someone who has taken the engines apart regularly.

Black smoke means rich mixture - I'd not expect it on an EFI bike with an EMS and conforming to current European and US emissions regulations, but if yours does it too, I think we can say it is normal :)

Fun, aren't they? :dance:

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That would be normal on any vehicle, but I mean when it is warm, which surprised me, but is apparently normal. No wonder the acc pumps on the PCIII are redundant!

Hmm, they use oil? Right, I'll check it. 1,000KM so far, and loosening up nicely. I have to do a 3,000 mile trip next month, and I haven't decided on which bike yet. I don't fancy carting oil around! :)

·
Registered
546 Posts
Louis said:
That would be normal on any vehicle, but I mean when it is warm, which surprised me, but is apparently normal. No wonder the acc pumps on the PCIII are redundant!

Hmm, they use oil? Right, I'll check it. 1,000KM so far, and loosening up nicely. I have to do a 3,000 mile trip next month, and I haven't decided on which bike yet. I don't fancy carting oil around! :)
I got back from a 900 mi round trip, and the bike lost a good 8 oz. of syn-3.level just under the cross hatch. So keep an eye on it to be safe.
I'm beginning to think I bought a hothouse lilly.

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Coo! Thanks for the warning. That's a LOT of oil! What does it do with it? No blue smoke, no oil smear in the exhausts here...

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
mine black smoked a little when i really cranked on it.thats coming from somone who roasted the tire in the dealer parking lot before i left with it,thought i was still on the sporty,but anyway its about 3200 miles on the 06 night rod and the little smoking quit about the first service at 1000 miles.if its under warranty then ride the hell out of it.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Louis said:
Coo! Thanks for the warning. That's a LOT of oil! What does it do with it? No blue smoke, no oil smear in the exhausts here...
I wish i knew, must be coming out the pipes, its not going out anyplace else, syn-3 is problematic this way, so soon, i'll switch to a better lube, maybe it will stop then. or I'll go back to dino-oil.

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
These bikes can take more than 500 miles to completely break in, especially if that first 500 is done per instructions. Take 'em out and ride 'em, they'll seal up! Run dino oil for at least the first 1000 miles, then switch to synthetic, to shorten the break-in. I ran dino for the first 5000 miles, now have over 39,000 and use no oil at all. For what it's worth, I've tried Syn-3, Mobil 1, and settled on Amsoil.

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How did you get on with the Mobil 1? Which is something I can buy easily here in Portugal, the others I've never heard of.

Mine's past the 500 miles now, and is getting a regular thrashing...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts