Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there,
i purchased 1 set of black hand control lever kit, is there anything i need to pay attention to when i disassemble the stock set?

·
AKA:KrammitTheFrodge
36 Posts
not really. pretty straightforward R&R job. have a bit of molydisulfide grease on hand though to lube the brake lever where the stock one is lubed (you'll see where when you remove it). careful with the screw on the bottom of the right switch housing (i had to loosen it to get the brake to slide over far enough). ended up dropping the darn thing into the radiator and had to take the back trim cover off to get the screw back.
much cheaper solution is to pull your stockers off, sand the anodizing off with some 80-grit, and shoot them with low-gloss black engine enamel. i'll be doing just that with my brake pedal, shift arm, and shift linkage next weekend.

·
VRSCDX Comuter
392 Posts
Pretty easy but take care not to damage the brake switch in the right side housing.

·
james
601 Posts
i put them on mine and lost the abillity too just pull in the clutch and start i have to be in nuetral , unless they got better ones in the last 2 or 3 years...

·
THUNDER X 2
388 Posts
i put them on mine and lost the abillity too just pull in the clutch and start i have to be in nuetral , unless they got better ones in the last 2 or 3 years...
You broke the clutch switch. Same p/n as the front brake switch.
The service manual has a very useful tip about shimming the levers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sometimes its the little things that can piss ya off the most. Change out is very easy but in my case the biggest fight was with the snap ring pliers. The holes in the snap rings are very tiny....a little smaller than my smallest set. I fought the buggers from start to finish but got it done. Famous Quote "right tool for the job" :banghead:

·
Registered
7 Posts
not really. pretty straightforward R&R job. have a bit of molydisulfide grease on hand though to lube the brake lever where the stock one is lubed (you'll see where when you remove it). careful with the screw on the bottom of the right switch housing (i had to loosen it to get the brake to slide over far enough). ended up dropping the darn thing into the radiator and had to take the back trim cover off to get the screw back.
much cheaper solution is to pull your stockers off, sand the anodizing off with some 80-grit, and shoot them with low-gloss black engine enamel. i'll be doing just that with my brake pedal, shift arm, and shift linkage next weekend.
I would be real interseted to know how your paint job turns out. That would be a super cheap alternative to spending $360 for HD's black shifter, linkage and brake pedal.:broke:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yes. Pay close attention to shimming both the brake and clutch levers before disassembly.

·
Registered
583 Posts
i just powdercoated all the stock pieces

·
Registered
93 Posts

·
VRSCDX Comuter
392 Posts
i just powdercoated all the stock pieces
:them:

Don't know if its worth anything since I did it over here.

payed about $200 for levers, foot controls, rear pulley and TS relos. It also included mounting of a new bearing in the pulley...

·
caferacer
5,686 Posts
Speaking of black hand controls:Just mounted black hand guards .....and still retained RAM mount.Oops, Sorry off topic. I'll post pix tomorrow. These block rock & bugs & wind/rain.

·
Registered
583 Posts
how much that run ya? im thinking of doint the same.
i think for my headlight, handlebars,hand controls, shift peg, rear brake foot lever, and rear passenger peg extension arms and handgrips it came to like $100 or so

·
Registered
276 Posts
Also, the snap rings have a tendancy to stretch during removal, bc they are so small and and flimsy. Having the right set of snap ring pliers is one thing, and a good thing, but youll still have to fight with them some.

·
Registered
62 Posts
As mentioned in previous posts, be very, very careful with both the brake and clutch switches. They are surprisingly delicate. So many members (including myself) :banghead: end up with a brake light that is constantly on, or always having to put the bike in neutral before starting. A real pain if you happen to kill it at an intersection and need to start as quickly as possible.
It can be easily done, just take your time, have a GOOD solid pair of snap ring pliers, a clean shop/garage floor (for finding the dropped C-rings, and or screws, spring, plunger etc.) :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts