Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking my brothers word for this, being that I can't see it. He follows me quite a bit and has for many years and says I'm starting to have black smoke come out of the exhaust but only when I really get on it. And he said it will be black smoke the first time I take off fast but I can take off fast a second, third, forth...etc time and it's not black anymore.

So what's up???

Also, hello everyone! :D

·
Fah q 2
2,690 Posts
if I am not mistakin' your running rich

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
just means you're running a little rich. Now if the smoke turns green you most likely sucked up a leprechaun somewhere.

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wonder why it just started running rich all on it's own. I've been using the same map on the PCIII for years.

But I guess it doesn't sound like it's anything I need to worry about anyway.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
I wonder why it just started running rich all on it's own. I've been using the same map on the PCIII for years.

But I guess it doesn't sound like it's anything I need to worry about anyway.
Mine does it when I hit it hard sometimes to, especially during gear changes. I noticed it does it more in the higher elevations and cooler temps also.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
How many miles on the bike? It could be a clogged injector dribbling fuel instead of atomizing it nicely. It could also be low rail pressure, again preventing the fuel from atomizing properly. If you could put it on a four gas analyzer and tell us what it shows for CO, HC, CO2 and O2 we would know more.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
How many miles on the bike? It could be a clogged injector dribbling fuel instead of atomizing it nicely. It could also be low rail pressure, again preventing the fuel from atomizing properly. If you could put it on a four gas analyzer and tell us what it shows for CO, HC, CO2 and O2 we would know more.
he's in MO, they don't have the CARB nazis like we do here in CA so not likely he could find a shop that has an analyzer.
Lakey, I'm betting it has been doing since day one of your map during the cooler months.

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
he's in MO, they don't have the CARB nazis like we do here in CA so not likely he could find a shop that has an analyzer.
Lakey, I'm betting it has been doing since day one of your map during the cooler months.
I never even knew one of them analyzer thingys exsisted. It might have done it for awhile, I don't know.

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Could be a dirty filter... they suck alot of dirt.
Its very possible the filter is dirty, I've got a SE filter and used to check and make sure it was clean now and then, but I don't remember the last time I looked at it now that I think about it.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Change ur spark plugs...one is prob not burning off all the fuel cuz it's starting to foul...thats why it only happens the first time u get on it hard...I would bet a dollar to a donut that's what it is....

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I often wonder about the plugs. I've got somewhere around 30k miles on the bike and it still has the original plugs.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Any half way decent auto repair shop will have a gas analyzer. It is one of the most reliable ways to troubleshoot drivability problems. Bike shops are a little behind the times that way. I have been known to use auto repair shop's and have them sniff my bike's exhaust when a drivability problem is kicking my butt. I'v learned some things that way I would never have otherwise.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
10K is the recommended interval for changing plugs. Clean the filter, change the plugs and go from there.

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
10K is the recommended interval for changing plugs. Clean the filter, change the plugs and go from there.
Clean the filter will be done before the next ride! Changing plugs may just wait untill this winter. If I remember right, it's not as easy as you'd think to change the plugs? Not that it's a huge deal but doesn't the whole airbox have to come out?

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
changing the plugs sucks. Well the one plug anyways.
Yeah, I just had a crash course (searched "spark plug" in the How-to) I'm thinking that will certainly be a winter project, just in case I need to order a new boot or have problems with anything else.

·
Premium Member
11,350 Posts
Clean the filter will be done before the next ride! Changing plugs may just wait untill this winter. If I remember right, it's not as easy as you'd think to change the plugs? Not that it's a huge deal but doesn't the whole airbox have to come out?
Changing the plugs requires the complete air box be removed along with the battery. Not bad once you have done it but it is a pain in the rear.
The rear plug is real easy. You might want to remove the one there and take a look at it to determine its condition. Maybe post a picture of it for comments.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts