Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered Used
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed the end of my straight thru exhausts are very black with a powdery deposit. How can I tell if its oil or fuel? I am using about half a litre of oil every 500 miles. I'm running a K&N and a Dobeck TFI at 3,6,3,7 on the pots. The plugs are browny white and seem OK.
Any suggestions?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
2,724 Posts
Sounds like you are maybe running a little rich. However you should not be burning oil like that either

·
Registered
116 Posts
I am having the same issue with my Bub Jug Huggers. My fuel settings are all at less then 5% and it seems rich. Is it possible that I did not need to enrichen for these pipes and can go back to the stock fuel settings?

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
you could always throw it on a dyno and see the air fuel ratios

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
I'm no tuning expert and you have not provided a wealth of information, but (In My Honest Opinion) you have more of an oil problem than a rich mixture problem. I have the Jugg Huggers installed, and, on my bike, additional tuning is a must. If you are getting somewhere around 40 mpg (I know, wrong units; about 17 kilometers/liter) with moderate riding (not so much right wrist, speeds below 120 Kilometers/hour) your tuning is fairly close. It sounds to me like you have a mechanical problem or the motor is not fully broken in. If you have less than 5000 miles on the bike and have tried to break it in easy, my advice would be to wait. And maybe take it out and make a few runs to redline under heavy throttle.:angeldev:

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have noticed that on my bike also, I have rinehart pipes. I notice the black powdery deposit in the end of my pipes. I have a 2004 vrsca with 5100 miles on it.

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
vrod lady said:
I have noticed that on my bike also, I have rinehart pipes. I notice the black powdery deposit in the end of my pipes. I have a 2004 vrsca with 5100 miles on it.
Tammy, my Jugg Huggers are also fairly black. But, I know I'm pretty close on my tuning because I get decent fuel mileage, my plugs look perfect, and the bike runs well (no stumbling or back-firing). I don't have much interest in dyno-tuning because I seldom ride for very long at 8500 rpm :angeldev: (where everybody dyno-tunes for peak horsepower), but am more interested in overall performance and rideability. I want to be able to putt through town at reduced rpm without the bike lunging and loping, and still get the strong midrange-to-redline pull when I turn the throttle. If I get a little puff of smoke when I crank it (causing the black), I'll live with that as long as the bike runs right. Sorry for the :blahblah: :blahblah:

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
Powerdery deposit does not sound like oil, and there is always a deposit due t the combustion process. Dyno it for the AFR and if your using oil try a few hard runs and swich to Mobile 1 V-Twin.

·
Banned
405 Posts
What kind of oil are you using? The HD Syn has been reported to burn at the rate the OP is describing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts