Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is for all of you DXer's that have the black CFR pipe installed. I am thinking about getting it for mine as well and I see from the pics of other member's bikes that the black on the CFR pipe does not quite match the heat shields on the stock header pipes. Is this just me, or do the blacks not match? I plan on getting my stock headers and coated and if need be my heat shields as well so that everything will match(I have a slight case of OCD:bash: ). Any info welcomed.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OH, forgot this. Does the vortex cone(I think that is what it is called) make it any less loud? I am not really going for loud so much as I am depth and tone from my exhaust.

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
DTHDOC said:
the black on the CFR is a shiny finish. The cone does make the noise more tolerable!
It's not as shiny as the frame, but it's not matte finish either. It's semi-gloss I suppose. The cone takes the sharpness out of the sound. It's still mean and growly, just not as ear-splitting.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So then I would need to get the header pipes and heatshields coated in a semi gloss shade of black then. Hmm, sound like a job for jet hot. On a scale of 1 to 10 ( 10 being the loudest) how loud is the CFR with the cone installed? And, if I am not being a total jerk with the bike will it get me into a lot of trouble with local law enforcement for noise ordinance violations?

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
vrscd_special said:
So then I would need to get the header pipes and heatshields coated in a semi gloss shade of black then. Hmm, sound like a job for jet hot. On a scale of 1 to 10 ( 10 being the loudest) how loud is the CFR with the cone installed? And, if I am not being a total jerk with the bike will it get me into a lot of trouble with local law enforcement for noise ordinance violations?
If an unconed CFR is a 10, I'd say the cone makes it an 7-8. It's really no worse than some straight pipes on an airhead. I can ride all day with a FF helmet with no earplugs and not have any ill effect.

·
Comfortably numb!
1,968 Posts
I have got to stop by the CFR store, they are just two blocks from where I work. I have been avoiding it until I can buy, I hate to tease myself :)

I cannot wait until my ride sounds as mean as she looks ;)

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
vrscd_special said:
This is for all of you DXer's that have the black CFR pipe installed. I am thinking about getting it for mine as well and I see from the pics of other member's bikes that the black on the CFR pipe does not quite match the heat shields on the stock header pipes. Is this just me, or do the blacks not match? I plan on getting my stock headers and coated and if need be my heat shields as well so that everything will match(I have a slight case of OCD:bash: ). Any info welcomed.

The black CFR is ceramic coated, it's somewhere between a glossy and satin finish.

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
hduturn said:
Where can you get the vortex cone from...Thanks
You can get it through Jeg's or Summit Racing. They are both the same price now (about $70). Get the 3" one.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
texasnightrider said:
I just had my header pipes and CFR coated in a flat black from jet hot -- couldn't be happier with the outcome. I have a denim black night rod...will post pics asap
i'm personally a chrome lover, but that looks SICK dude. very nice. :thumb:

·
Registered
100 Posts
I agree, that looks awesome. Once I hear on the 08 fueler etc... my NRS will be getting one. I have to admit though, I am worried about too much noise.

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
jlavallee said:
I agree, that looks awesome. Once I hear on the 08 fueler etc... my NRS will be getting one. I have to admit though, I am worried about too much noise.
Don't worry too much...there are way louder pipes out there. There are ways to quiet the CFR up and if I'm not mistaken, I think CFR is actually working on a baffle for the pipe. I could be wrong though...

·
Registered
100 Posts
NightMare said:
Don't worry too much...there are way louder pipes out there. There are ways to quiet the CFR up and if I'm not mistaken, I think CFR is actually working on a baffle for the pipe. I could be wrong though...
NightMare, on a scale of 1-10 with ten being loudest how would you rate the stock, CFR and CFR with Vortex baffle? I must say, the bike is getting a little louder as it breaks in but it is still too quiet. That and the stock pipes are huge and ugly.

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
jlavallee said:
NightMare, on a scale of 1-10 with ten being loudest how would you rate the stock, CFR and CFR with Vortex baffle? I must say, the bike is getting a little louder as it breaks in but it is still too quiet. That and the stock pipes are huge and ugly.
Um, ooo, that's a toughy...ok...

Rinehart 2-2 = 10

CFR unconed & Rinehart 2-1 = 8/8.5

CFR coned = 7

Stock = -5 :)

When I really whomp on the gas, there is a bit of an uncomfortable overpressure, but at cruising speeds and general local hooliganism, it's a really nice sound.

*Disclaimer* the above statement is strictly my humble opinion, your opinion might vary.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts