Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Jeff
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed this without using the HD lamp and gotten something brighter for somewhat cheap? Word on this light is it isn't bright at all, comes with the centerpiece in black, kinda ugly lookin'. Anyone switched it out, HID (probably not going to buy that), Xenon maybe? Also, anyone got a shell from HD part number 67704-03?

Anyone?

Jeff

·
Banned
15,036 Posts
I got the budget Viper from Headwinds for 99 bucks. It uses a standard 5 3/4 car headlight halogen. It's as bright if not brighter than stock.

·
Chrome is king!!!
20,269 Posts
GordoJ52 said:
Has anyone installed this without using the HD lamp and gotten something brighter for somewhat cheap? Word on this light is it isn't bright at all, comes with the centerpiece in black, kinda ugly lookin'. Anyone switched it out, HID (probably not going to buy that), Xenon maybe? Also, anyone got a shell from HD part number 67704-03?

Anyone?

Jeff

I have an HID setup in mine. Nice & bright, but the HD reflector $ucks. I'm thinking about changing it to something else next winter.

·
Diesel Smoke Tester
862 Posts
Check mine out!

Gordo:

See my Gallery pics to see what it looks like on my '03 A model. It really puts out a lot of light, only uses one (H-4) bulb, and looks extremely cool!! I spent big $$ on it with the backing plate, and all; but it was only money!!:2cents: :2cents:

good luck,
redrazor
:cheers:

·
Registered Abuser
2,894 Posts
I thought you had to change the reflector for HID, don't you? The reflector for a standard halogen bulb is made differently.

·
Chrome is king!!!
20,269 Posts
mnerren said:
I thought you had to change the reflector for HID, don't you? The reflector for a standard halogen bulb is made differently.

No it will work, but a reflector that's made for HID will have a little better beam pattern. I'm not aware of a reflector made for HID that will work in a MC headlamp houseing other then the xsighting lighting unit and it has to be be used with thier housing.

·
Jeff
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright I guess my next questions are, how do you change the reflector? Anyone have a night shot of the stock bulb in it. Vrod-mike, how much did that HID set up cost you? What's involved in the install?

·
Chrome is king!!!
20,269 Posts
GordoJ52 said:
Alright I guess my next questions are, how do you change the reflector? Anyone have a night shot of the stock bulb in it. Vrod-mike, how much did that HID set up cost you? What's involved in the install?

To change the reflector you just change the glass headlamp. Companies like headwinds have quite a few options to choose from.

The stock bulb in this headlamp is nothing short of terrible. IMHO Those that think otherwise have never had a bright headlight before. I even tried one of the high output H4 bulbs and it still $ucked. With the HID I can see fine, but I'm a picky bastard, so I would like a reflector that has a different beam pattern. The install with an HID is somewhat difficult since the wires won't reach the inside of the housing. Plus the hole in the housing is to small for the high voltage insulated connectors to fit through. This means a lot of cutting, soldering and insulating. With the high voltage that HID bulbs use the current will arc to any metal if not insulated properly. Ask me how i know this. :banghead:

·
Jeff
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
how much did the set up run you? I really like the blueish tint to the light. Looks Bada$$!!

Jeff

·
Chrome is king!!!
20,269 Posts
GordoJ52 said:
how much did the set up run you? I really like the blueish tint to the light. Looks Bada$$!!

Jeff

You should be able to get a good quality kit for $175ish. The bluish color is because the bulb is a 9000k. The higher the number the more blue it appears. The lower the numer the whiter it appears.

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
Vrod-Mike said:
You should be able to get a good quality kit for $175ish. The bluish color is because the bulb is a 9000k. The higher the number the more blue it appears. The lower the numer the whiter it appears.
And all the BMW's,Mercedes,Lexus's,etc all have no more than 4300k.

·
Chrome is king!!!
20,269 Posts
Vinny said:
And all the BMW's,Mercedes,Lexus's,etc all have no more than 4300k.

That is correct. My wifes SUV has OEM 4300k HID's in it and I hate it. She even says that my aftermarket bulbs seem brighter. I now they aren't since they all use a 35w ballast, but the bluer tint seems have less glare, which to me is easier on the eyes.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Cheatin said:
I got the budget Viper from Headwinds for 99 bucks. It uses a standard 5 3/4 car headlight halogen. It's as bright if not brighter than stock.
This is what I did, and its great. Why spend more?? I tapped into the existing wiring, and taped up the existing connectors.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts