Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok First off I have not rode my bike in about two weeks (I know shame on me). It is hooked up to a battery tender which reports the battery charged and in good working order. It has the keyless mod which is working flawlessly. Now when I go to start the bike all it does is clicks. From there I have checked all the connections and everything appears to be fine. I have had this problem once before on the Jenny ride and had to have the bike jumped by a forum member. Not sure if I need to replace the battery or not, but figured I would post up in this section first to see if I missed anything.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Premium Member
Pan American Son of VROD :-)
1,093 Posts
Pull the battery tender and check the voltage on the battery. The BT only reports that there is no current being drawn by the battery and that it's in pulse charge (trickle) mode. If the voltage is low you may need a new battery.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Where is the "click" coming from?

If it's under the seat, then double check the start relay. If you are using a Keyless Harness with the 2 relays, pull out the accessory relay (the one in the middle of the block) and swap it with your starter relay. If it starts, the starter relay was bad and needs to be relpaced.

If it's clicking on the left downtube, then it could be your starter solenoid not working correctly.

The place to start, Like LiquidSilver says, is with the battery.

Let us know what you find out.

RJ

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I will take a reading on the battery tonight. Will have to get my multi meter from work so I can check. I am hoping it is just the battery. The clicking is coming from the down tube. Double checked this morning and when I turn it on the light is a little dimmer than it was in the past and seems to only go to AUX mode.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Make sure you check all your ground wires and battery connections too. The clicking you indicate is on the solenoid. So, it should be working. Sounds like a bad battery to me.

RJ

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will do thanks for all the help RJ. Can you recommend a good battery? I think that is what it is myself because I checked all the connections a couple times.

·
Premium Member
1,093 Posts
I have several bikes/quads and I don't care much about the brand but I do look for a sealed battery (no filler tops) The last couple I've purchased have been Yuasa YTX14 AGM Battery. They seem to work pretty well. I've been buying them at the local BMW dealer.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah sure did. That has happened once before with my car so that was one of the first things I checked.

·
----->
7,589 Posts
$5 says it's the battery.
Either that or the rats aren't running in the cage fast enough.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well took a reading on the battery and it is only reading 6 volts. Took a look at my battery tender and found that it was set on 6 volts instead of 12. Oops. Now to go look for a new battery. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Doooooooooohhhhhhhhh

·
Premium Member
1,093 Posts
Spend the extra $29 for the battery tender too... (12V only model) It sure helps if you have to park it for extended periods.

Glad you found the fault.

·
jacket off!
9,720 Posts
jleakey said:
Well took a reading on the battery and it is only reading 6 volts. Took a look at my battery tender and found that it was set on 6 volts instead of 12. Oops. Now to go look for a new battery. Thanks for the help guys.

:spit: I would have kept that one to myself!

·
----->
7,589 Posts
williekimp1964 said:
why wouldnt you switch it to 12 volts and let it charge?
:them:
I was thinking the same thing? It's worth a shot. :stilpoke:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I actually did charge it and it appears to be working fine. Don't know if I am going to change it out or not. Right now it works fine again so just going to leave it for now.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
******* said:
:spit: I would have kept that one to myself!

Yeah, but better getting razzed about that then something else like.... oh I don't know running out of gas!!!! Which hasn't happened to me yet, but I am sure it will sometime.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts