Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jumped on my bike to go home after work hit the start button and nothing happened, tried to push start it and it was a no go. Was thinking it was the battery tried jump starting it with one of those portable jump starters after a few tries the main fuse went. Replaced the fuse and the fans ran for a short time and shut off. When I bypass the solenoid with a remote starter the engine will start but dies. When I turn the key on the lights come on the fuel gauge comes up and the warning lamps light after a few seconds the security light (the little red key) comes on but the alarm does not make a sound also the turn signals do not work. I recently replaced the battery in the key fob, but thought what the heck I'll try the code again a no go when I hold the turn signal buttons I don't get the 5 dashes. When I turn the key off I get no chirps from the siren.
This is what I have 2009 VRSCF with factory security system. No new bars or custom controls all stock except for tab pipes and custom fuel map. Will check for DTCs later tonight. This is what I have checked all fuses are good swapped fan relay with start relay and swapped system relay also turned the ign switch to the accy position and it the system goes through it's POST (power on self test) and calibration.

·
Super Moderator
6,248 Posts
Jumped on my bike to go home after work hit the start button and nothing happened, tried to push start it and it was a no go. Was thinking it was the battery tried jump starting it with one of those portable jump starters after a few tries the main fuse went. Replaced the fuse and the fans ran for a short time and shut off. When I bypass the solenoid with a remote starter the engine will start but dies. When I turn the key on the lights come on the fuel gauge comes up and the warning lamps light after a few seconds the security light (the little red key) comes on but the alarm does not make a sound also the turn signals do not work. I recently replaced the battery in the key fob, but thought what the heck I'll try the code again a no go when I hold the turn signal buttons I don't get the 5 dashes. When I turn the key off I get no chirps from the siren.
This is what I have 2009 VRSCF with factory security system. No new bars or custom controls all stock except for tab pipes and custom fuel map. Will check for DTCs later tonight. This is what I have checked all fuses are good swapped fan relay with start relay and swapped system relay also turned the ign switch to the accy position and it the system goes through it's POST (power on self test) and calibration.
What do you mean by "after a few tries"? Did the starter motor engage and rotate the engine?

From other things that you mentioned, I'd guess that your fob isn't working so the TSSM isn't allowing the START relay to function and the ECM is shutting down the SYSTEM relay.

·
LIFESHORTRIDEHARD
1,164 Posts
Yea I just had to replace the battery in my fob last night. Cr2032 is the battery. sounds like that's the issue your having. If the red key is on solid or doesn't turn off with ign on then the fob is dead. Get your other one and give it a try. If you have two that is. I have two.

Sent from my EVO 4g

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
What do you mean by "after a few tries"? Did the starter motor engage and rotate the engine?

From other things that you mentioned, I'd guess that your fob isn't working so the TSSM isn't allowing the START relay to function and the ECM is shutting down the SYSTEM relay.
I pushed the start button a few times and nothing happened then the Maxi fuse blew. I know the battery is good because I can bypass the solenoid the bike will start but dies. I'm sure it is not the key fob because with new batteries in both fobs same thing happens and lets not forget that using the code does nothing also the turn signals do not work no confirmation chirps from the siren. My guess is it is the TSSM but I dont want to run out and buy a TSM (just to get rid of the problems I recall a post with a long procedure for replacing the TSSM with a TSM) and I don't want to take it to the HD stealership. I was hoping there was a way to confirm what I think might be the trouble without throwing money down the toilet with unnecessary parts. A side note a few months back I bought a Dynojet Power Vision to go with my Tab pipes, today I connected it to pull DTCs it seems to be communicating but no codes.

·
LIFESHORTRIDEHARD
1,164 Posts
Wow it kinda sounds like thats the way you are going to have to go...

Sent from my EVO 4g

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You don’t need a Power Vision (or any other device) to pull codes. This post explains how to read and reset DTCs.
Why would I fumble through that procedure when I already own a Dynojet Power Vision it gives me the all of the codes and what it relates to in one screen. But thanks for the info I will keep it in mind just in case I loose my Power Vision.

·
Kidzap
1,065 Posts
Turn the ignition and run switch on, check to see if your directionals work. If they don't it's probably a bad tip over switch. Also check the main plug to the ecu mine popped off from one side shutting the bike down.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Turn the ignition and run switch on, check to see if your directionals work. If they don't it's probably a bad tip over switch. Also check the main plug to the ecu mine popped off from one side shutting the bike down.
My directionals do not work and if I understand everything correctly the tip over switch is the same as the bank/angle sensor contained in the TSSM and the only to repair it would to replace the TSSM and that sounds and this requires me to go to the dealer. Thanks for your input.

·
LIFESHORTRIDEHARD
1,164 Posts
Don't forget to let us know how it turns out. Sometimes one has to go through hell to help others save a buck.

Sent from my EVO 4g

·
Registered
126 Posts
Occasionally my bike won't start, I hear a click like a relay or solenoid, but that is it. I have problems occasionally with my battery terminals comming lose, but the other day they were tight and it still did it a couple times. It did start, and once it did all was fine. Could this be the tip over switch? I'd like to think that the starter wouldn't be having issues with just under 19K miles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't forget to let us know how it turns out. Sometimes one has to go through hell to help others save a buck.

Sent from my EVO 4g
Well there will be no buck saving here. Had to take it to the Stealer for the replacement of the TSSM parts and labor $467.38 (2 hours labor at $85 and $277 parts +tax)

·
Kidzap
1,065 Posts
Well there will be no buck saving here. Had to take it to the Stealer for the replacement of the TSSM parts and labor $467.38 (2 hours labor at $85 and $277 parts +tax)
Wow what a rip off. 2 hour charge for a 15 minute job and 300% mark up on a $91 part. I hope they included a jumbo jar of vaseline
all wrap up in fancy gift paper with that bill.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts