Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, new member here. I have a 2004 VRSCA that I was prepping for sale. It has sat for some years. New battery, oil and filter so far, drained gas out of tank and put in fresh

Current issue is it turns over but will not start. It will start if one sprays starting fluid in the airbox until that burns off within a few seconds. So the issue should be fuel related and not spark. I have not pulled codes yet but did find the link to that how to.

My first question is can someone describe the 3 lines from the tank, where they go, what they are for? Looking down on the tank facing the front of the bike, there is a small rubber line. Next to it are two braided lines with green push in connectors. I disconnected the first braided line and when the run button is on, fuel shoots out of the tank outlet. So that seems to be the line that supplies fuel to the engine. I disconnected the second braided line and when the run button is pushed, fuel shoots out of the hose, not the tank outlet (or inlet in this case). That seems to be some kind of return to the tank. If this is correct, if fuel is leaving the tank via braided line 1 and returning via braided line 2, how or where is it missing the engine to not start?

Thanks,
Damon

·
Registered
812 Posts
Hello, new member here. I have a 2004 VRSCA that I was prepping for sale. It has sat for some years. New battery, oil and filter so far, drained gas out of tank and put in fresh

Current issue is it turns over but will not start. It will start if one sprays starting fluid in the airbox until that burns off within a few seconds. So the issue should be fuel related and not spark. I have not pulled codes yet but did find the link to that how to.

My first question is can someone describe the 3 lines from the tank, where they go, what they are for? Looking down on the tank facing the front of the bike, there is a small rubber line. Next to it are two braided lines with green push in connectors. I disconnected the first braided line and when the run button is on, fuel shoots out of the tank outlet. So that seems to be the line that supplies fuel to the engine. I disconnected the second braided line and when the run button is pushed, fuel shoots out of the hose, not the tank outlet (or inlet in this case). That seems to be some kind of return to the tank. If this is correct, if fuel is leaving the tank via braided line 1 and returning via braided line 2, how or where is it missing the engine to not start?

Thanks,
Damon
Sounds like you have fuel pressure from the pump ok, so pump runs. And you must have a spark if it fires when you fuel it through the intake. My guess would be the injectors are stuck. I have had this a few times on V Rods that have been stood a long time. You could try giving them a tap as you crank it, sometimes works.

·
Autobanmod
9,869 Posts
When ignition is on and you switch from off to run, the fuel pump starts and injection valves should open for a second, priming the engine.
You can see (and hear) this when you remove the air filter and open the throttle valves.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I guess the injectors are underneath the airbox. Does that one supply line go into some kind of T to inject both cylinders?

When the airbox cover was off during cranking attempts, when we did open the throttle valves, I never could see or even smell gas down in there sp that may be where the blockage is. I could see something opening and closing, basically a shadow so maybe an valve and the bike "pumps" for lack of a better word and if you hold your hands on top of the velocity stacks, they get sucked down during that pumping, engine vacuum I suppose.

On a side note, does anyone know what this connector is for? It has two ring connectors, a 7.5A fuse, and a connector that is similar to utility trailer light hookups. I found it around the battery/air box area when putting stuff together but don't remember if it was ever connected to anything. Is it a trickle charger access point? Was hoping this was not my problem.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks. I guess the injectors are underneath the airbox. Does that one supply line go into some kind of T to inject both cylinders?

When the airbox cover was off during cranking attempts, when we did open the throttle valves, I never could see or even smell gas down in there sp that may be where the blockage is. I could see something opening and closing, basically a shadow so maybe an valve and the bike "pumps" for lack of a better word and if you hold your hands on top of the velocity stacks, they get sucked down during that pumping, engine vacuum I suppose.

On a side note, does anyone know what this connector is for? It has two ring connectors, a 7.5A fuse, and a connector that is similar to utility trailer light hookups. I found it around the battery/air box area when putting stuff together but don't remember if it was ever connected to anything. Is it a trickle charger access point? Was hoping this was not my problem.

View attachment 603313
That is a cable for a battery tender.

·
Registered
812 Posts

View attachment 603313
Definiteyl sounds like stuck injectors. As Jan Dirk says you should be able to see the fuel squirt. That connector is for a battery tender to keep battery charged when not in use. Early models will flatten a new battery in a couple of weeks with alarm and security module.

·
The Hawk
3,754 Posts
Make sure you have a new battery in the fob, it might be the security system causing issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Make sure you have a new battery in the fob, it might be the security system causing issues.

Hi, what would the fob have to do with it? I don't think I even use the security system on the bike. I do know those batteries in the fob are the same ones since 2008 when I got the bike.

·
The Hawk
3,754 Posts
Sitting for years the batteries go dead and the security system may have reset. If you know the security code you can unlock it using the turn signal switches, but I don’t remember exactly how, it is in the manual. The bike won’t start if the security system is in secure mode.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello again. I took the airbox off and see that braided line 1 and 2 go into these short metal tubes. When the Run button is on the fuel pump cycles, gas shoots out of the line going to the engine and from the line going back to the tank. Where are the injectors in which to tap on? The metal lines just kind of go into this block in between each throttle body basically underneath the hole for the aircleaner bolt I do see one hole when I open the throttle valve in each one, are these where gas should shoot out or something lower? Its the hole circled in red.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok so I know now that the metal block the fuel lines go into is called the fuel injector rail and it has a black knob on the other site that screws in and out, like valve stem cap, unsure of its purpose.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok so I know now that the metal block the fuel lines go into is called the fuel injector rail and it has a black knob on the other site that screws in and out, like valve stem cap, unsure of its purpose.
so I found a picture of the fuel rail with injectors so I know that the injectors apparently screw into the rail. But I don't know how to go about removing that rail to get access to the injectors.

·
Registered
637 Posts
You should just take it to a shop. If u are not to familiar with this kind of work. It could be injectors. Or something not turning them on. Are there codes? I have had some success with applying 12v directly to the injector to unstick it. U might try to jump start it, as you may get more voltage while cranking. But don't crank to long.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update, SHE JUST STARTED!!!!. I tapped on both injectors a bit and unplugged two connectors, and reseated, the one on the left of the top throttle body and the one on that middle thing. It was probably the tapping that did it. Now I just have to put the airbox back on (that rear breather hose clamp is a giant pain and put it all back together and hope it still starts. I'll check it tomorrow again. Thanks everyone for all the assistance.

·
Premium Member
11,202 Posts
You might want to consider replacing those injectors. Sounds like they are gummed up. They aren't real expensive New Castle Harley has them for $52+

·
Registered
812 Posts
You might want to consider replacing those injectors. Sounds like they are gummed up. They aren't real expensive New Castle Harley has them for $52+
I have had this problem a few times on different V Rods that have been stood a while. On each occasion tapping them lightly while cranking has freed them up and all have continued to function perfectly after. I would definitely try running it for a bit and see if the problem returns before buying new ones. I think the needle just sticks in its seat through lack of use and lubricant from the fuel rather than they are gummed up.

·
Premium Member
11,202 Posts
I hear you coastrider. I prefer to replace parts that have failed once (or Intermittently) under the thought they will fail again.
Besides I have lots of money to burn.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts