Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If any one had a bike totalled per the state law and or Insurance Carrier did you buy it back? Looking for pros and cons if this becomes an issue in my case. Thanks for any comments made.

David

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
One of the cons is the salvage title that stays with the bike. If it costs a lot to repair it and you decide to sell it later on it really hurts the value of the bike for resale or trade in. But if you plan on fixing it and keeping it for a long time it is worth buying back depending on the cost to repair it. ie if you get say 12k for the bike and you can by it back for 6k and if it would only take 2k to put it back to the way you want it it would be a good deal.

·
Registered
519 Posts
vrodsweeper said:
If any one had a bike totalled per the state law and or Insurance Carrier did you buy it back? Looking for pros and cons if this becomes an issue in my case. Thanks for any comments made.

David
What year/model? Damage? I'm looking for a salvage for my next project bike.

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Damage look in my photo gallery, bike is 06 VRSCR. Will have better idea on what is happenening on Monday, after dealer has chance to provide estimate on repairs.

David

·
Registered
519 Posts
vrodsweeper said:
Damage look in my photo gallery, bike is 06 VRSCR. Will have better idea on what is happenening on Monday, after dealer has chance to provide estimate on repairs.

David
OK. Does that hurt :spank:.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I didnt buy mine since it had oil leaking out of the motor anf the frame was bent it depends on how bad the damage is to the expensive stuff! IE the motors are expensive to replace

·
DeltaSS
173 Posts
My kid totaled his '07 yam R6, the insurance company would not let him or me or even the dealer buy it back for parts. 'This one is gonna be crushed.' is all he would say......

·
Registered
330 Posts
You could have warned us before we seen the butt shot... :barf: most importantly I hope you heal up well. Just shootin from the hip I don't think there is nearly enough damage to total the bike. The big thing to watch for is hidden damage. When a motorcycle crashes alot of things happen and none of them are good, for example somewhere in the wiring harness a wire might be stretched to the point of almost breaking. The tech will never know if that is the case it is just one of the big reasons for collision comebacks you get the bike back and a week later poof no turnsignals. Have patience and if your dealer is any good they will make it as painless as possible. I did see in your other post you have foremost insurance and they are a pretty good one, for the most part they know they are not m/c experts and let us do what we need to do. No questions asked.

·
Burn Baby Burn!!
700 Posts
Can you get a bike re-titled as a custom title? I would think there should be a way to change the title if you buy it as a salvage and then totally rebuild it into a custom model. How do bike builders title their bikes? Do they have to stamp a VIN on the frame?

·
Wind Up Merchant
425 Posts
looks like you came off worse than the bike did!

the butt shot needs an 18 Cert though, it's lunch-time! :barf:

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Service writer thought it might be a total, like before the answer will be in Mondays Crystal Ball.

Other ?'s I put things like the passenger backrest, saddlebags, windshield on myself and did not include it in the bike note, if totaled do I get to keep these items that are still good or how do I get my value from them. Some of these items might be of interest to others in here, it would be a shame to waste them.

What or how do I get answers on extended warranty, the gap insurance if the bike took a big value hit, in hindsight I hope my down payment did not lessen the exposure for the insurance carrier, and I still lose while doing them a favor.

God a bunch of questions, it makes me more I write and think about it hope it is not totaled.

David

1 - 12 of 12 Posts