Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I`m looking to get a bike to bike radio , possibly with phone and mp3 connections. Siding towards an Autocom unit, anyone got any experience of these or other comms units fitted to a rod? thanks, Daz.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers raj, these look another option for me to consider. Does this have a built-in radio, ie if I go for autocom I need to buy the control unit, then add a radio. Do these link in with other units, my mates all run autocom and I need to link to them. thanks for the help, Daz.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I have never used an Autocom, but it does seem to be the communication solution of choice, when looking for a fixed all in one solution.

I have bluetooth helmets for GPS and phone.
In theory you can stream music over the bluetooth connection, but I have never tried it.

·
www.badpenny.org
4,172 Posts
I have never used an Autocom, but it does seem to be the communication solution of choice, when looking for a fixed all in one solution.

I have bluetooth helmets for GPS and phone.
In theory you can stream music over the bluetooth connection, but I have never tried it.
I've got a Schuberth C3 with Schuberth bluetooth module - the music streaming from the iphone works a treat :)
Dunno about bike to bike comms though , hand gestures have always worked for me......

·
Registered
30 Posts
Will the Q2 do Bike to Bike? of just rider to pillion? I know as far as bluetooth goes the Scala Rider G4 is top of the game, with radio, bluetooth etc. But if you want a unit with a little more grunt the Autocom is great.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have experience of the older Autocom units with MP3 and PMR Two Way Radios fitted to a Honda Pan European and it all worked fine. The newer Autocom units are much smaller so should be easy to stash away on a V-Road. If your friends are using Autocom with PMR then that would be the way to go.

Range isn't great as they only have a .5 Watt transmitter (by law); however I understand that there are units available that can be easily modified to have a much more powerful transmitter :)

·
Woverby
477 Posts
Hi all, I`m looking to get a bike to bike radio , possibly with phone and mp3 connections. Siding towards an Autocom unit, anyone got any experience of these or other comms units fitted to a rod? thanks, Daz.
Hello Amigo,

Things must be different in the UK. The last thing in the world I want is for my wife or co-rider to talk to me while riding. This is totally contrary to one of the many reasons I ride. PLEASE do not take this as personal criticism. Just suggesting you consider having a radio from another perspective.

1) You are riding too fast!
2) I have to go to the bathroom!
3) I'm hot or cold!
4) My butt is sore!
5) I am bored!
6) Look out!

Anyways, I suspect you you get the picture :).

Take Care and Ride Safe!

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have used an Autocom system on my SE for years and would definately recommend - Bike to Bike, Sat Nav connection, Ipod connection, Mobile tel connection etc etc... the Autocom unit is fitted to one of those little side frame bags with the radio going either in a small sissy bar bag or my luggage if I am touring.:thumb:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello Amigo,

Things must be different in the UK. The last thing in the world I want is for my wife or co-rider to talk to me while riding. This is totally contrary to one of the many reasons I ride. PLEASE do not take this as personal criticism. Just suggesting you consider having a radio from another perspective.

1) You are riding too fast!
2) I have to go to the bathroom!
3) I'm hot or cold!
4) My butt is sore!
5) I am bored!
6) Look out!

Anyways, I suspect you you get the picture :).

Take Care and Ride Safe!
No worries mate, I know where you`re coming from. About 90% of my riding is solo , so very little grief from her on the back. Looking for comms for the weekend rallies with the boys in case we get split up. Thanks for your replies boys, mind made up on autocom with PMR, cheers, ride safe, Daz.

BTW, any UK members doin Wootton Bassett in April, I`ll be marshalling all day.

·
Registered
962 Posts
yeah i'm going look out for a big guy and a very loud nightrod and say hello !

Autocom is the best for "fixed" comms , but to be honest Bluetooth is the way to go , G4 has a range of a mile now no wires , no radio , not fitting boxes to your bike no faffing !

bluetooth one module on helmet , works for comms , radio , mp 3 etc... no fuss , fixed comms is a dying product now.

i agree tho that for me i would not want comms , bikes are for riding ! , have only ever used bluetooth for sat nav directions.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts