Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all;

Tonight while going for a ride.... i down shifted for the car in front of me was turning. I was only going about 35 mph. When the car was finally off the road way i gave it gas and it just reved up. I then down shifted and even tryed shifting up and all it would do is rev up. The bike made no noise as far as something breaking. I can go though all the gears and nothing at all happens. Any ideas for this rookie would be great. it's an 03 with about 6000 miles........

·
Registered
220 Posts
Check the clutch fluid make sure its there, check the slave cylinder. Usually a clutch on its way out will start to slip, sounds like there is air in the line, or the slave went out.

Check the linkage too

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Hi all;

Tonight while going for a ride.... i down shifted for the car in front of me was turning. I was only going about 35 mph. When the car was finally off the road way i gave it gas and it just reved up. I then down shifted and even tryed shifting up and all it would do is rev up. The bike made no noise as far as something breaking. I can go though all the gears and nothing at all happens. Any ideas for this rookie would be great. it's an 03 with about 6000 miles........
Sounds like a broken shifter shaft. A few have had those break at where it enters the engine. And darn the luck... it broke while you had it in the neutral position... just a wild guess. BTW it can be repaired without splitting the cases but HD will never tell ya that

·
Insane inda membrane
13,005 Posts
Sounds like a broken shifter shaft. A few have had those break at where it enters the engine. And darn the luck... it broke while you had it in the neutral position... just a wild guess. BTW it can be repaired without splitting the cases but HD will never tell ya that
It's an 03 bike. He may not be able to fix the shaft without splitting the cases. I think they made the change to the spring in 04. I may be wrong.

RWK: Where are you in Wisconsin?

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
It's an 03 bike. He may not be able to fix the shaft without splitting the cases. I think they made the change to the spring in 04. I may be wrong.

RWK: Where are you in Wisconsin?
There were some 03 bikes that did the fix years ago. I even believe one of Max's bikes had that fix.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I live in Sheboygan.....I was reading and see you had a problem like this? I need to fix it soon for my wife is having a field day with this. She also has a Vrod and all i'm hearing is " I told you my bike is better then yours" LOL.

·
Insane inda membrane
13,005 Posts
All you need are snap ring pliers and order the shaft and o-rings. If you're lucky, it will come out. I'm down in Milwaukee if you need a hand, or Ken (02Man98) is in Manitowoc.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Is your neutral light on?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks ...i read both of your prior posts. When i start on it i may contact with questions.....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can shift through all the gears.....so yes i can put it in neutral. Thats what baffled me. The light goes on and goes off when i shift. I have not had a chance to actually look at it yet. When it happened it was dark out, i then had to push it back into town to a friends house. Hopefully theres a break in the rain today and i can get it home.....

·
Insane inda membrane
13,005 Posts
If you can shift through the gears, the shaft isn't broken. Check your shift linkage for binding and lubricate it.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
If you can shift through the gears I agree is not the shaft. Now your looking at the clutch operation. Do you have your reverse gear? :hidesbeh:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I spoke with the Harley shop today...they believe without looking at it that it's the clutch......I friend said that this is a easy job. What's out there besides the factory clutch that i should consider? thoughts? Thanks again

·
Insane inda membrane
13,005 Posts
upgrade to the slipper clutch... I'm sure if you run a search, you can get the part number. It's the clutch that came out in 07 I think. It's definitely worth the purchase.

·
Insane inda membrane
13,005 Posts
Here's the part number. I searched it out for you from another thread.

part #37938-08KA

·
ISU
1,446 Posts
order the cluch at chicago HD because you get get it 20% off

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
This is a dumb question and I don't mean to belittle but have you checked to see if you have a drive belt?

·
Insane inda membrane
13,005 Posts
This is a dumb question and I don't mean to belittle but have you checked to see if you have a drive belt?
Damn... never thought of that... :hmm:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts