Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2009 VRSCDX Night Rod Special

It started when during a ride the bike seemed to cut out and then catch back up immediately. Like I almost stalled out but caught it at the last second. But it definitely seemed electrical.

Then the next day, when I flipped the switch to RUN it started up without hitting the momentary START switch. This happened sporadically. Sometimes doing it, sometimes not. Giggling on the wires leading into the controls didn't seem to make a difference.

THEN, I pulled the controls apart to look at the wiring. Everything looked ok and when apart, it didn't have issues with starting. I put it back together and again, tested it several times without issue.

Went for a ride 30 minutes later and the switch issue returned. Then while riding the bike just shut off in the middle of the ride and I had to hit the START button to start her back up while rolling down the road. This happened twice on the 3-mile ride to my house.

Any ideas? I would think there is an issue with the momentary START switch being faulty. That would explain it starting when just turning the bike the run, but would that also cause the bike to shut off during riding?

Thanks
Ryan

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have an 07 vrscd and have had the bike shut down while riding, as well as stopping right after starting. I took the ignition switch apart and found the contacts very dirty and gummed up with grime/grease. I cleaned everything up and I have not had any electrical issues since. I'm not saying this is what your bike needs as I never had mine start on it's own. But it's not a big job to take a look at the ignition contacts.

·
Registered
827 Posts

It started when during a ride the bike seemed to cut out and then catch back up immediately. Like I almost stalled out but caught it at the last second. But it definitely seemed electrical.

Then the next day, when I flipped the switch to RUN it started up without hitting the momentary START switch. This happened sporadically. Sometimes doing it, sometimes not. Giggling on the wires leading into the controls didn't seem to make a difference.

THEN, I pulled the controls apart to look at the wiring. Everything looked ok and when apart, it didn't have issues with starting. I put it back together and again, tested it several times without issue.

Went for a ride 30 minutes later and the switch issue returned. Then while riding the bike just shut off in the middle of the ride and I had to hit the START button to start her back up while rolling down the road. This happened twice on the 3-mile ride to my house.

Any ideas? I would think there is an issue with the momentary START switch being faulty. That would explain it starting when just turning the bike the run, but would that also cause the bike to shut off during riding?

Thanks
Ryan
Hello Ryan
I would not think the starter switch alone could cause this problem, unless something got crossed some how. Because they both have two separate functions.I would think u would have more problems if that were the case. You said the bike started up on its own when you hit the run button or did it just crank the engine? If it did run, problem could be a ign switch problem. But first I would check all grounds, because a module could be searching for a ground. I am also assuming u dont have any codes? Does bike have a security system? Because worse case it could be a module issue if all grounds are good.

Rob

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
...when I flipped the switch to RUN it started up without hitting the momentary START switch. This happened sporadically. Sometimes doing it, sometimes not. Giggling on the wires leading into the controls didn't seem to make a difference.
Any ideas? I would think there is an issue with the momentary START switch being faulty. That would explain it starting when just turning the bike the run, but would that also cause the bike to shut off during riding?...
I would need to know more history of work done on this bike prior to first issue. Also, are there are any DTCs (diagnostic trouble codes) set?

See here for how to read and clear DTCs.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would need to know more history of work done on this bike prior to first issue. Also, are there are any DTCs (diagnostic trouble codes) set?

See here for how to read and clear DTCs.
I just recently purchased the bike and have not personally done any work to it. Looking back through the paperwork the dealership gave me from the PO. There was a tuner put on and removed by the dealership. This is all new to me by the way.

I followed your instructions and these are the codes that came up.

P - None
S - b1122
C - None
b - C1095, C1216

Pn 32783-08A

I am unsure if these were ever reset. So for all I know, these are all the codes that ever occurred over the life of the bike. I thought about erasing them and then taking the bike back out to see what comes up then but wanted to check with you first.

Thank you in advance for your help.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
I just recently purchased the bike and have not personally done any work to it. Looking back through the paperwork the dealership gave me from the PO. There was a tuner put on and removed by the dealership. This is all new to me by the way.

I followed your instructions and these are the codes that came up.

P - None
S - b1122
C - None
b - C1095, C1216

Pn 32783-08A

I am unsure if these were ever reset. So for all I know, these are all the codes that ever occurred over the life of the bike. I thought about erasing them and then taking the bike back out to see what comes up then but wanted to check with you first.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Whenever you read codes you should write what you see and then clear the stored codes. If a code reappears it is a current fault.

The codes you listed;
B1122 = right turn signal output fault = bad turn signal bulbs, right turn signal circuit (brown wire) is open, or you have a damaged HFSM (hands free security module) or IM (instrument module).
C1095 = front brake switch open & C 1216 = rear brake switch open = brake light ground wire open, bad ABS diode pack, front and rear stop lamp circuit bad (not likely), bad ABS ECU​
aren't likely to cause your starter problems but these do point to wiring problems in the handle bar controls that could involve the start switch.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is what I figured and so later that day I did just that.

I cleared all the codes, then got
P - no rSP
S - U1016
C - None
b - C1062, C1066

Looking into a few of these people were talking about cleaning connections to the ECM etc. So I went through and checked for kinks and undid each connector, using cleaner if needed. The only place where any corrosion was found was at the fuses. I cleaned all these up. This was all done with the battery disconnected.

I put it all back together and when I started it up, it did the goofy thing trying to start one last time. After that is started up fine. Since then I have ridden 2 days with about 10 startups and a few 100 miles without issue.

Now it reads
P - no rSP
S - none
C - none
b - none

1 - 7 of 7 Posts