Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a 2008 NRS with 3,900 miles. It has Tab baffled turnouts, and tuner. It has been running fine for a month. Now all of a sudden today it starts shutting off. Conditions seem to be the same. It happens when I close the throttle and pull in the clutch, to either downshift or come to a stop. It just shuts right off, no cough, nothing, just off. I can hit the start button and it fires right up and runs fine. Any thoughts before I start chasing wild geese? It's done it four times today, and I am supposed to be taking this thing on a trip this weekend. Perfect timing....

·
Registered
179 Posts
I would check for any codes, check battery and all connections first off to make sure they're all snug and none are loose...

·
Sharks-Parts
5,659 Posts
also check the neutral saftey swotch in the in the clutch lever...

have you replaced the grips or levers?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nope, haven't touched the grips or levers. How would I check that, and how would I check for codes, are these things OBD2?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Reading codes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The IM (instrument module) is capable of displaying DTC's (diagnostic trouble codes).

1- Ignition off
2- push odometer reset button in & hold. Make sure run switch is on.
3- turn ignition to run and release button (you will see P, S &C displayed)
4- each letter represents an area of diagnostics... the one that is flashing is the one you are going to check. To move from one letter to the next, you push the button one time. (from P to S to C and back to P, etc.)
5- to get DTC within an area, you push and hold the button in for 5 seconds and if there are any, it will be displayed... you can release the button. As you push the button again, other codes will appear if they are there. If there are not any the word 'none' appears.
6- Record the codes.
7- To determine if a code is current or historic, you clear the codes while being displayed by pushing in and holding the button until 'clear' comes up. Turn off the ignition... then crank or restart the bike... turn off, and then repeat the code process. If a code is there now, its current... if not, it was historic.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did the above. for PSC is said nonE, and then when i pressed the button again it would give me a PN followed by a number. For b, it said no rsp.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its the tuner...there is a short circuit. If the bike is sitting idling and I tap the tuner on the airbox it shuts right off. Broken circuit board or connection or something.

·
Sharks-Parts
5,659 Posts
i would say you trouble shooted correctly and quickly...good job

·
Sharks-Parts
5,659 Posts
Is it a TAB tuner

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes. I spoke to them at 5:05 EST and they told me to mess with the tuner, I called them back to report findings at 5:30 and no answer, so I left a VM. I have no reason to believe they won't fix it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
nice job - sounded like something was loose the way the engine was cutting off on you...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea I'm pretty sure it's a cold solder joint or broken wire. Hopefully they will overnight me one so I can still go on my trip this weekend.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got the new tuner on Friday, they sent it out right away when I spoke with them on Wednesday. I took a trip on Saturday 2 hours each direction. It ran great, and still is. Problem Solved!! Working with Tab has been nothing but pleasurable.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts