Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Night Rod Special. At first I had a noise at the rear wheel, and had the dealer install all new bearings at 10,000 miles. I noticed that even before that I had a slight pull to the right, and hoped that bearings and alignment would correct that. It still pulls to the right, and seems like it may be getting worse. Tires look good, no cupping or anything. But if I take my hands off the bars, it feels like the bike leans to the right by a couple inches. It does not take much pressure to make it go straight. This is my first Harley, and before I had a sport bike with steering stabilizer and all the goods. Am I over analyzing this, or do I need to look at something else. It also loves right hand turns, but not so much left hand turns. Kind of odd. I know there are alot of opinions on this issue, I am just curious what you all think? And if there is a problem, how can I solve it? Thanks.

·
Insane inda membrane
13,005 Posts
If you have stock pipes, it's because they are so heavy.

·
Tie One On
1,645 Posts
You say the dealer replaced the rear wheel bearings ? They did this because it pulled to the right or ?

I would check 3 things first,
1 - check the front wheel free spin by lifting the front end off the ground and turn the wheel to see if it is freely spinning on its own. If it does not, check the front axle nut torque value and maybe the bearings there.
2 - Check the steering head nut for torqued value.
3 - check the fall away of the front end.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had the dealer replace the rear bearing due to a "howling" noise from the back wheel. And I hate to ask stupid questions, but what do you mean by "fall away?"

·
Bladerunner
1,949 Posts
If you have stock pipes, it's because they are so heavy.
:them:

When I had my stock pipes on, I'd remove both hands from the bars and the bike would drift HARD to the right. Aftermarket pipes... Straight as an arrow. I read that the stock exhaust weight is somewhere around 30lbs? And I think my D&D is about 10... That's a HUGE difference on a bike!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
While on the topic of pipes, what would I be looking at $'s for d&d and tuning. I have been staying away because I read (I do alot of reading) about people putting pipes on and having lean issues and having a hard time getting the tuning correct.

·
Bladerunner
1,949 Posts
While on the topic of pipes, what would I be looking at $'s for d&d and tuning. I have been staying away because I read (I do alot of reading) about people putting pipes on and having lean issues and having a hard time getting the tuning correct.
My FatCat ran about $700 shipped. It came straight from D&D, purchased thru American Classic Motors. The damn thing took about 7 or 8 WEEKS to come in and when it did it had a seized rear o2 bung plug. Took another 2 weeks to get a replacement. After 6 weeks on the bike the ceramic coating on the heat shields started to bubble off exposing bare metal which is now RUST. I said eff it and I'm just gonna take the shields off and wrap the pipes. Besides all that, I love it! :)

I'd say stay away personally. Get a nice Rinehart, Bub7, or V&H... Just my $.02

·
Bladerunner
1,949 Posts
hmm mine pulls to the right to when no handed.... with OEM pipes, TAB's coming this week so lets see if that fixes it.
Slip-ons? Can't imagine they'll save a whole lotta lb's... But you'll find out soon.

PS- Love the 240! Sick! I have a C6 that was twin turbo at one point, always had tuner cars. Doing an LS6 swap in an FD was always one of my dream cars...

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I'm going to have to check the R. I just don't see how 20 pounds sitting low on the right is going to force a moving 650 pound mass over to the side as quickly as stated.

As a reference my Electra Glide did the same thing and made a belt whistle at speed after a tire change. I was told they did that and the pipes caused it. But, after carefully going through the alignments (vehicle, rear wheel, belt). The pull went away. It might be an isolated case, but I think sometimes folks make mistakes and it is really hard for a dealership to admit it.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
I'm going to have to check the R. I just don't see how 20 pounds sitting low on the right is going to force a moving 650 pound mass over to the side as quickly as stated..
:them: When I had the stock pipes I always blamed the pulling to the right on the exhaust since so many here were convinced that was the problem. Then I did the "fall away", double checked alignment and it got a little better. Once I swapped out my tires it went completely away.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I placed 30 lbs in my left saddle bag and have it so nicely balanced that I can acturally ride with only using my knees against the air box. Used 2 1/2 lb round fishing weights.
Roger

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
It's not the pipes!

Your wheels are out of alignment!

Mine did the opposite, it leaned/turned left. I knew it was probably the alignment but procrastinated a while before I finally got around to checking it. When I did I found the alignment was out over an inch. Now that I corrected it the problem is gone, and much to my surprise the bike even rolls easier when pushing it around. I beleve that was because it was so far out it was causing the rotor to bind slightly in the caliper.

I'm wishing the vrod had conventional axle adjusters now. After what I found I have no confidence in the usefulness of the cam plates alignment.

I made a post earlier this week on this
http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143546

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you for all the replies, and I will check the alignment and see what I can see. I have never done an alignment, but I might as well get used to it. If I find anything I will let you know. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
It's not the pipes!

Your wheels are out of alignment!

I'm wishing the vrod had conventional axle adjusters now. After what I found I have no confidence in the usefulness of the cam plates alignment.
:them: 100% I checked the R today, I was guessing it didn't pull since I hadn't noticed it before. Heavy engine braking, no engine braking, light engine braking...it goes straight.

I agree on the axle cams. Considering the play on the removable side and the fact that the other side is the same, but with a welded nut. This give a bit of margin either way on the adjustment. The wear pins shouldn't be an issue assuming they were set at the correct location.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Removed my Bub jug huggers (light) and installed stock pipes about a month ago. Haven't noticed any change in how it rides..... other than I'm enjoying not having to wear ear plugs on the highway.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
AZLIVN: what tires are you running and year/model of VRSC?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts