Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dont know if this is the right place to ask this,but am taking 07DX to spain involving 18hour ferry crossing across the bay of biscay which can get quite rough.and dont want the motion of the ship setting off the alarm,which could possibly flatten my battery in 18 hours.one way i thought of is to put the key fob under the seat which would fool the alarm,but would that have an adverse effect on the battery after 18 hours.or is there some way to disarm the alarm? thanks for any inputs.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
My understanding is all export models are designed to auto arm the alarm and that the function once turned on cannot be reveresed in the TSSM. That means the only way to keep the alarm from arming is to have the fob in range or have the battery or tssm unplugged. If it were me I would just pull the maxi fuse for the battery and that way you have no worry at all.

·
On Good Ol' Nbr7
7,267 Posts
:them: .....as usual, Max comes through again..... :D

HoldHard

·
Premium Member
4,958 Posts
Tried to dis-arm the alarm on a Canadian DX to trailer the bike to biketoberfest last year. After many attempts, finally gave up and hung the FOB from the brake pedal on twist tie.

Having bike stolen while driving was not a issue & it was EZ to remove at night to re-arm the alarm.

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Max said:
My understanding is all export models are designed to auto arm the alarm and that the function once turned on cannot be reveresed in the TSSM. That means the only way to keep the alarm from arming is to have the fob in range or have the battery or tssm unplugged. If it were me I would just pull the maxi fuse for the battery and that way you have no worry at all.
max excuse me if this is a stupid question,but if i pulled the maxi fuse wouldn't this in itself set off the alarm,i realise the alarm cant trigger with no power,but if pulling the fuse disarms it what is to stop somebody who wants to steal your bike doing the same thing.it only takes a couple of mins to take out.would leaving the fob on the bike drain any power?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
jimlowe said:
max excuse me if this is a stupid question,but if i pulled the maxi fuse wouldn't this in itself set off the alarm,i realise the alarm cant trigger with no power,but if pulling the fuse disarms it what is to stop somebody who wants to steal your bike doing the same thing.it only takes a couple of mins to take out.would leaving the fob on the bike drain any power?
The TSSM has a small 9 volt rechargable battery inside it that might go off for a few minutes but the alarm siren if you have one will run that battery down pretty fast. If you don't have the alarm siren then the tssm can't flash lights or do anything else with the maxi fuse pulled. If the TSSM battery goes down it will recharge pretty quick when you put the maxi fuse back in and run the bike.

Any bike can be taken in a matter of seconds, don't ever think the alarm on any of these bikes makes them secure. IMHO

·
On Good Ol' Nbr7
7,267 Posts
Max said:
Any bike can be taken in a matter of seconds, don't ever think the alarm on any of these bikes makes them secure. IMHO
All it takes (so I'm told) is 4 guys and 2 steel bars that fit through the wheel holes... they just pick it up and load it into the back of a van..... gone in a few seconds....

HoldHard

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Jim, all should be revealed in the manwell.

Transport Mode:
To arm the system
Turn IGN key to ON and set OFF/RUN switch to OFF
Turn IGN key to ACC
Press Both turn switches. Turn signals will flash once.
Turn IGN to OFF. The system responds with 3 turn signal flashes.

To Disarm the System
With fob present, turn IGN to ON
Set ON/OFF switch to RUN to exit transport mode.
As usual the manwell is confooooosing.
"To arm the system" actually means "To set Transport Mode"

:)

EDIT:
Oh yeah, and remember to set your PIN.
You may need it to override the immobilisor if the battery goes flat or if you park to close to a mobile phone mast that usually blocks out the fob signal.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
HoldHard said:
All it takes (so I'm told) is 4 guys and 2 steel bars that fit through the wheel holes... they just pick it up and load it into the back of a van..... gone in a few seconds....

HoldHard
Exactly, a thief will not waste the time to try and disable anything on a bike or start it. They simply hook up with a van or truck and carry if off in seconds. A single man with a truck equiped correct can have your bike as fast as you can sit on it and start it.

·
Premium Member
4,958 Posts
A single man with a truck equiped correct can have your bike as fast as you can sit on it and start it.[/QUOTE]

Do married men take longer to steal bikes ?

·
Registered
911 Posts
Laconia, yer killing me... !

Way to go, Max.

·
Premium Member
2,312 Posts
dont trust them mofo's to strap down your bike, they know jack about bikes, my mates wing went over onto a load of other bikes and wings cost £ when they go down too

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Jim, if you really want a full disarm that should leave the battery Ok pull the security fuse before you pull the maxi fuse then the siren will not activate. As Max states the back up battery will keep tickin but nothing is making demands on the main battery. Also no chance of being set off by ships motion.

Although a bit disconcerting Clive is also right to mention the lack of care shown by some ferry guys when tying down your bike. Stay with em and make sure you are happy or do it yourself.

Have a nice trip!

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
jusy got back from a rally,thanks for all the help and advice!!

·
knit whit
1,413 Posts
The_Apprentice said:
Jim, all should be revealed in the manwell.

As usual the manwell is confooooosing.
"To arm the system" actually means "To set Transport Mode"

:)

EDIT:
Oh yeah, and remember to set your PIN.
You may need it to override the immobilisor if the battery goes flat or if you park to close to a mobile phone mast that usually blocks out the fob signal.
:them: Use it all the time when traveling with my DX.

·
fire up !
700 Posts
Skinbo said:
Although a bit disconcerting Clive is also right to mention the lack of care shown by some ferry guys when tying down your bike. Stay with em and make sure you are happy or do it yourself.
live example of 'lack of care'...
took the Superfast ferry Zeebrugge-Rosyth-Zeebrugge for my Scotland trip last September, also a 18 hrs voyage ... a genuine nightmare when it came to tying down the bikes
1. bikes to be parked on a truck/trailer deck : 1 anchor point for every 5 bikes ... (and plenty of bulk containers with hazardous goods parked nearby)
2. those 4 unlucky bikes were just 'tied' to each other with whatever worn out crap ties and then the 4th to the 5th; these guys must have invented the domino-theory...
3. when you park the bike you are ORDERED to take your necessities and to leave the deck asap in either Serb or Albanian language (= BEFORE they start tying down your baby so no way to check anything)
4. you are not allowed to anchor down your own bike (i even carried my own gear and rags to protect the bike from poss scuffs but helas)
5. i strongly suggest to always take pics of your bike and surroundings before leaving the deck, that's all of proof you'll ever have in case a whole rack of bikes has fallen over ...
must admit that even plenty beers didn't chase the thoughts of a mishap somewhere downstairs away, especially when the ship hit some rough sea... it's a crying shame how these 'professionals' handle bikes as if they're 3rd hand Ural Dnjepr's
be warned
ps : apart from the above it was one of my best bike trips ever
grtz

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
travelled with "brittany ferries" quite a few times now,its a new ship 40000 tons.and they look after the bikes very well each bike is tied down to purpose built anchor points and they put cushions under the straps to protect the bikes.

·
Registered
512 Posts
The alarm only goes off when the bike is moved off the side stand normally...

I would leave it on so it alerts them when it comes off the stand.... or falls over...

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
It is in the manual how to disarm it for travel, dioes no one read over there?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts