Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 V-ROD - I have an aluminum CRAFTSMAN BIKE LIFT. Does anyone know the precise spot to position the lift bars in order to give the best balance for saftey reasons? Same for the straps, where to position them? Thanks, Richard from Galveston, TX.

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
Position them so that both wheels leave the ground at the same time. If you are going to remove a wheel, exhaust, or other heavy item, adjust accordingly and consider blocking at the lifted height before removing the object.

A good place to start is to position the rear rubber pad just 1" behind the rear frame bolts. Your balance point may vary.

I don't use the straps. I was nervous about it at first, but not any more. I'll lift my bike to full height and wash and scrub tires without fear now. Just remember to check to make sure that your jiffy stand is extended before you lower the bike.

·
Registered
507 Posts
It also depends on what you're doing to your bike as to where you're going to position the jack.

For instance, if you're doing a 5 gallon tank swap, you'll prob have to move it once or twice.

If you do want to use the straps, you can put the jack in jiffy side and put the strap hooks on the axle the wheels ar on...right and left...(ratchet side towards the jack handle on the jack handle side) and hook the other hooks to the long bolt thing on the frame on the handle side right before the frame slants in. I would remove the airbox cover and airbox myself so you don't mess it up. I would also either open the seat or remove it so the second strap doesn't mess up your seat.

If you put them on before you lift, make sure you keep them LOOSE... if you tighten them before it's up you might twist or break something on the bike. also check the straps before you tighten them.. make sure they aren't up against something you don't want to sinch down.

also remember when you go to lower it... there is a lock lever that will lock it in 3 different heights.. if you don't want it to lock, you'll have to lift the lever so it doesn't lock. If you forget, you will have to jack it up a bit, raise the lever, then lower it again.

Let us know if you have any more questions... and no, you won't need the 2" risers. }:)

-Gumbysbuff

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks Dr Dave, I appreciate the advise and will give it a try. I am kind of nervous since it is my first time to use a lift....all my prior bikes were rice rockets with center stands.

By the way, I am stumped at the moment, what do you mean" BLOCKING at the lifted height " when jacking the bike? (my guess is the 3 positions on the jack that take the stress off the jack?) rsk in Galveston

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks Gumbysbuff, taking off the air box and lifting the seat does make sense....easy enough to do and might save a bundle if I were to screw up.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
Position them so that both wheels leave the ground at the same time. If you are going to remove a wheel, exhaust, or other heavy item, adjust accordingly and consider blocking at the lifted height before removing the object.

A good place to start is to position the rear rubber pad just 1" behind the rear frame bolts. Your balance point may vary.

I don't use the straps. I was nervous about it at first, but not any more. I'll lift my bike to full height and wash and scrub tires without fear now. Just remember to check to make sure that your jiffy stand is extended before you lower the bike.
:them: the only time I strap it down is if I'm removing a wheel.

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
I just tie mine down at the footpegs. Then it really can't go over sideways, and if it falls toward the heavy end that's usually the end that still has a wheel/tire assembly installed. Scare you to death, but likely no damage.

I believe in return on my investment, so to speak. Takes 1 minute to go ahead and tie it down, but months to live down dumping your bike off the stand...and buying unbent parts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mr VRODER - the peg idea sounds good, why didn't I think of that? appreciate the help and this great forum, really helpful.

rsk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts