Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Chrome is king!!!
20,269 Posts
Well in those pics it looks unfinished. Maybe if it was powder coated black or finished in chrome it would look okay. I'm not to fond of the dual exhaust the way they are so short.

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
WTF? does the turbo only run off one cylinder? Why the doubble pipes?

Pretty cool though. I like to see more turbo kits coming out. Might drive the prices down.

:hidesbeh:

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Well the gt28r is a big turbo, it may be a little large for daily riding. It is very good for all out racing but the size of it may mean longer time to spool. I also notice they solid mounted the turbo to the frame and the then bolt the exhaust to it, usually that will mean a transfer of vibration from the engine to the frame not to mention the exhaust is working like a brace and may have trouble keeping it tight or from cracking. As others mention it does look unfinished but they say it is only for racing and not for turbo badging, me I just wear the badge. :rofl:

·
Dallas, TX
1,244 Posts
I read the info. 300 hp, MY ASS. That's almost 200 hp over a stock engine. I'd think the engine would grenade itself with that kind of boost pressure.

Plus the exhaust routing looks like intestines.

I'll take the Trask any day.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I think the 300hp was with internal mods and the proper compression, etc.....I don't think they were saying to bolt it to a stocker.....

·
Bone Stock B Model
8,639 Posts
mikelewis said:
I think the 300hp was with internal mods and the proper compression, etc.....I don't think they were saying to bolt it to a stocker.....

Mike its very interesting to hear you say that. What modification do you think would need to happen to make the cases stay together. It seems to me over the last couple of years that 170hp is some what stable, but anywhere between 175 to 220hp the cases can and will literally explode. I cant see that much HP lasting more than a few seconds before the kaboom effect goes into play.

·
Premium Member
2,685 Posts
Vrod-Mike said:
Well in those pics it looks unfinished. Maybe if it was powder coated black or finished in chrome it would look okay. I'm not to fond of the dual exhaust the way they are so short.

the exhaust runs off the left of the bike, the other pipe you see is a blow off valve with a muffler on it. Pretty trick looking set up. Not sure about the exhaust being on the other side, just not used to that. One of you turbo guys need o put a nice spiked air filter on your set ups to finish it off. Thats ould look real nice...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Vrog said:
the exhaust runs off the left of the bike, the other pipe you see is a blow off valve with a muffler on it. Pretty trick looking set up. Not sure about the exhaust being on the other side, just not used to that. One of you turbo guys need o put a nice spiked air filter on your set ups to finish it off. Thats ould look real nice...
exactly, it looks great and I like the idea of others in the market, its good for everybody

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
smoothrod said:
Mike its very interesting to hear you say that. What modification do you think would need to happen to make the cases stay together. It seems to me over the last couple of years that 170hp is some what stable, but anywhere between 175 to 220hp the cases can and will literally explode. I cant see that much HP lasting more than a few seconds before the kaboom effect goes into play.

Lonnie, I really don't have an answer for that.....I know that Ryan does some tweaking here and welding there on our cases......and they hold 200hp pretty well...but the two halves of the cases used to show evidence of "shifting" or "sliding" against one another.....Under large loads I think the crank and tranny gears try to "climb" each other and pull the cases apart......but they don't "explode" unless something internal blows apart and goes through the case.....I have yet to see that at all......but the cases shifting ALOTcan put things inside in a bind and cause the engine to "lock up"......same thing can happen in imports, but they've been around long enough that people have developed ways to strengthen them.....and some of them are holding 650hp on a turbo.....
Beyond that, Ryan would have to answer (if he would be willing) as he is the one that builds it.....I just wide da bike......hehehe

·
Registered
317 Posts
I used to live about 800 yards from these guys, and they are a quality outfit when it comes to performance parts. They have been inolved in straightline/drag racing for a long time and have built some real trick stuff in the past.

If anyone wants more details etc, i am happy to give them a call, or swing by there workshop next time i pass.

Mac

·
WHATEVER
3,739 Posts
Very nice system, well tucked in and good to see other options out there!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Vrog said:
Actually the right side down pipe is from the waste gate .

The red anodized blow of valve is on the the cold side piping....

:stilpoke:

·
Premium Member
2,685 Posts
EricL03 said:
Actually the right side down pipe is from the waste gate .

The red anodized blow of valve is on the the cold side piping....

:stilpoke:

Thanks for the correction, Thats what I meant to say:D When is your 1430 supercharged setup going to be done? Another 5 years or so?:wazzup:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Better introduce myself. Im Sean from Big CC Racing. Ta for the feedback on the kit. Its good to get peoples perspective as this is our first venture into doing a V Rod.

We have done Hayabusas, GSXR1000's ZX12 & ZX14's etc etc but never before a V Twin. We currently hold the unofficial record for the worlds most powerful streetbike at 721bhp from my own Turbo Busa which may give you an insight into our turbo knowledge.

Hopefully the bike will be on the dyno this weekend, it has only a stock engine so we will be running no more than 6psi of boost. The kit is so designed with its external wastegate that you can choose the boost level you want to ride with.

We have chosen a larger turbine not just for the race usage but so you can hopefully achieve higher horsepower for less boost levels. As an example 6psi on a Hayabusa with a small turbo can be as little as 220bhp or 6 psi on a bigger turbo can be as much as 270bhp. That not only allows more power for less strain but also lower inlet temps & a more linear power delivery. While using a large compressor the turbine housing is matched to the engine size for its rpm potential.

Regarding some of your questions...

Yes the exhaust very tightly passes past the front cylinder to exit the left side. The reason for this is so we could do what no other turbo kit does & forward mount the turbo rather than side mount it, partly due to its compressor size but also to tuck it tight to the engine. How the pipe is finished can be chosen by the customer.

Pipework wise we tried to cosmetically contour the engine cases rather than just using minimum bends to go from point a to b. Some may like it & others may not. Sorry.:banghead:

Regarding fixing to the frame rigidly I agree there is a risk of cracking . Its a very good point. I may modify it to rose joints somehow as i dont like the idea of all the weight for a turbo the size on two pipes only. It needs some support.:spank:

Engine wise i dont know what they are capable of standard however we will restrict this bike to 6psi only as mentioned untill the motor is prepped for more. What I can say is if you can build yourselves an engine to take 300bhp this kit will deliver the power or your money back.:deal:

The V Rod though smaller CC has the same rpm range & power output as the GSX1400 we get in the UK to give you a guideline & that bike we have achieved over 400 bhp with. So im being very conservative in estimating turbo kit potential at 300bhp. Bigger still injectors would be all that is needed.

The reason for the remote wastegate is not only to give multiple boost levels to play with so you can choose your power but also to ensure accurate boost so boost creep does not occur as often does using cheaper internal wastegates. On a standard engine this is vital for reliability.:blahblah:

All the best

Sean
Big CC Racing.

·
Revolution02
3,978 Posts
All do respect to the turbo owners. Turbos are the uglies thing one can pu on such beautiful bike. Im sure they are fast but they are UGLY!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts