Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wondering if anyone has put a big bore kit in there bike yet? curious to hear the results, :chair:

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
Chopper steve over at v-mod.com has.He got some good #'s without cams.My tuner has built 3 in the last 2 months.2 of those motors are drag race only.here is a link to some dyno sheets at v-mod:http://www.v-mod.com/media/

·
Autobanmod
9,896 Posts
The Wiseco Big Bore has no good reputation here in Germany.
I was told that it is OK for drag racing but not suitable for long term riding. The piston has only one piston ring and is likely to blow by.
Unless you have an unlimited budget like KAZ it is not recommendable.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Jan,
Thank You for the complement! :diablo: What BB Kit would you recommend?I was under the impression you could custom make the pistons to what ever ring configuration and compression ratio?I know mine are custom! :cool:

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Actually, I saw a piston at Chopper Steves, right out of the Weisco box, and it has two rings.

·
Autobanmod
9,896 Posts
Super Kaz said:
Jan,
Thank You for the complement! :diablo: What BB Kit would you recommend?I was under the impression you could custom make the pistons to what ever ring configuration and compression ratio?I know mine are custom! :cool:
Kaz,

that was no compliment, just an :eek:fftopic: statement.
I would very much like to recommend a BB kit that lasts as long as the stock setup but I don't know any other than Wiseco. It was Mr Lottermann www.lottermanns-bikes.de who told me that after he checked with his tuner/supplier and I have no reason to doubt their expertise.
Custom pistons are a fine thing of course but there we are again with the question of the budget...
How many piston rings does your custom piston have and what shape are they?
Did you combine them with modified stock or Wiseco cylinder liners?
Maybe I got it wrong with the number of piston rings, but I understood that there are less on the BB kit.

Jan

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Jan,
check your source again and I will check mine and we can compare Notes! :thumb:

·
FASTESTSTKBLTDRV
1,267 Posts
RIGHT NOW WE ARE BIG BORING 2 BIKES,ONE WITH WIESCO
ONE WITH EAGLE H.D. CUSTOM BIG BORE.HAVENT SEEN EAGLES
PISTONS YET,BUT I ASSUME IT HAS 2 RINGS LIKE WIESCO'S.
WIESCO'S HAVE A COMP. RING AND OIL CONTROL RING.
THERE REP. HERE ISNT VERY GOOD EITHER,THATS WHY I'AM
TRYING THERE KIT IN MY BIKE BEFORE SELLING THEM TO MY
CUSTOMERS.I COMMUTE 92 MILES A DAY SO ONCE THE
MOTOR IS DONE IT WONT TAKE ME LONG TO PUT 5000 TO
7000 MILES ON IT AND SEE HOW IT RUNS AND CHECK FOR
WEAR. :cheers:

·
Riding the good life
4,908 Posts
With only 2 rings, oil and pressure become more critical than ever. It then makes total sense to run synthetics in this type of a set up.

Is there not enough surface area to run a convential 3 ring set-up? I would imagine that the 2 ring set up in street operation would take many miles of riding away if installed. Out of curiosity, is the compression ring larger in size than stock on the big bore kit? Is the oil ring bigger (both in width from top to bottom).?

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
I just went and looked at the service manual.The stock piston has 3 rings.I wonder why they went with 2 rings because all they are doing is making the bore bigger.It's not being stroked.

imho
What I think is,that with the bore being MUCH bigger there is more friction.The side loads on the cylinder walls and the piston are greater because,there is more surface area in the cylinders.more metal to metal contact.The 2 ring set-up would help reduce some of the friction.
With todays technology,3 ring pistons are gonna become a thing of the past.The materials found in the new rings are way better than the cast-iron rings of the past.So, I'm sure that Wisco isn't going to throw in any old ring in the kit.It should be at least a moly ring.
just my 2cents

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
A decent 2 ring piston using gapless rings shouldn't be a major issue. Check these guys out, they could probably make a custom set that would really help out with the severe duty application. I ran a set in my race boat, 2% leakdown on a race 461 after 200 hours in a race / poker run boat!

http://www.totalseal.com/

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
They do make some awesome rings.I know a couple of guys deep into drag racing,and swear by them.I'm sure they could make custom rings.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Thats All I've ever used.Their gapless is the way to go! :cool:

·
FASTESTSTKBLTDRV
1,267 Posts
I Contacted Them With Measurements They Will Let Me Know
I've Used Them In Racing Engines Will See How They Like The Street.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts