Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, I Heard A Weird Noise While Riding In Kyle Petty's Annual One Day Charity Ride. Afterwards, When I Loaded Her In The Truck My Son Said He Heard A Funny Sound In The Rear Wheel Area. When I Got Home And Was Washing Itd I Rubbed All Through The Pulley Area Of The Rear Wheel And Felt The Backside Of The Pulley Loose. All But Two Of The Screws That Hold It On Had Sheared Off Or Fallen Out. If The Belt Would Have Ran Off The Backside At Speed That Would Be A Mess. I'm Taking It To The Dealer Tomorrow. I Don't Know If The Last Tech That Mounted My New Tire Removed It And Forgot To Torque It Back Or If It Just Failed By Virtue Of The Design. If You Have A Wide Tire Factory Vrod Keep An Eye On This!!

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
v jet said:
Yesterday, I Heard A Weird Noise While Riding In Kyle Petty's Annual One Day Charity Ride. Afterwards, When I Loaded Her In The Truck My Son Said He Heard A Funny Sound In The Rear Wheel Area. When I Got Home And Was Washing Itd I Rubbed All Through The Pulley Area Of The Rear Wheel And Felt The Backside Of The Pulley Loose. All But Two Of The Screws That Hold It On Had Sheared Off Or Fallen Out. If The Belt Would Have Ran Off The Backside At Speed That Would Be A Mess. I'm Taking It To The Dealer Tomorrow. I Don't Know If The Last Tech That Mounted My New Tire Removed It And Forgot To Torque It Back Or If It Just Failed By Virtue Of The Design. If You Have A Wide Tire Factory Vrod Keep An Eye On This!!
I thought the pulley was held against the cush drive by spacers and the load applied by the axle nut. I don't understand what bolts were sheared off. The cush drive is attached with bolts (screws) to the wheel. Are these the bolts you're talking about?

·
9 second club member
2,326 Posts
v jet said:

I have been lucky so far. I have had mine for 2 years now and my bolts have not came out yet. as for when the tire was change there is no reason for those to come off when changing the tire. My guess is the only reason for the 2 piece is to make it easier to machine

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
You need to be more specific as there are about 10 different wide wheel manufacturers so we have no idea what exactly is installed on your bike.

From your gallery pictures I'm going to assume you are talking about your SE V-Rod and the factory Reactor wheels. With those wheels the pulley is one piece and held on the compensator bowl buy the left side axle spacer. Now, the compensator (the part that the pulley rides in) is bolted to the wheel hub. That was installed at the factory and has no business being removed when someone changes a tire. If it came loose all on it's own then you have a unique problem. I say that because there are a lot of bikes that have the same setup that have been abused with drag racing and high HP motors and I have yet to hear of anyone sheering off the bolts that hold on the compensator.

If you have aftermarket wheels then all bets are off.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
dlganapol said:
Are these the screws?
Ah, after re reading his post that makes sense. Hmm, don't think I've ever heard anyone report these getting loose. Worth a check if you have a reactor pulley.

Possibly another case of the MoCo forgetting the loctite.

·
Chrome is king!!!
20,269 Posts
I have Weld wheels on mine and had the same problem. I was about 200 miles from home and noticed that all but 4 of the screws had worked themselves loose from my pulley. Luckily I was close to a dealer and they pulled the remaining four screws and reinstalled them spaced out with plenty of locktite. When i called Weld they were very apologetic and actually sent me a complete new pulley.

·
Registered USDA
4,229 Posts
Are you talking about the rear flange? If so they are over-rated.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My bad

dlganapol has it right. the rear pulley screws on the 06 wide tire SE v-rod. Obviously H-D took an 05 SE pulley machined off the rear lip to fit a narrow belt and bolted that piece of sh_t plate on the rear to hold the belt in place. Piss poor design, especially with a bored and stroke 154hp motor yanking on it.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Actually all the pulleys have a rear ring but on the other factory ones they are pinned in place with extra tabs machined into the pulley them pressed over the ring. Most, if not all of the aftermarket pulleys use screws and with red loctite there should never be a problem.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
I have the weld wheels and pulled mine out and put loctite on them two years ago. Checked them the other day and all still very tight.

·
Registered
74 Posts
v jet said:
It's Not Easy Typing Each Word With The First Letter Capitalized!:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts