Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I started a thread on wiring aux lights and that leads to another question: what’s the best way of tying into a wire? Old school Shovelhead guy here that used to solder everything. Had to on those bikes.

im especially wondering if I can crack open a weather-pack connector and add a wire that way, perfeshnal like. What do you think?

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
So, I started a thread on wiring aux lights and that leads to another question: what’s the best way of tying into a wire? Old school Shovelhead guy here that used to solder everything. Had to on those bikes.

im especially wondering if I can crack open a weather-pack connector and add a wire that way, perfeshnal like. What do you think?
You could but if you want to do it properly, it sounds like you already know! Cut, solder and heat shrink sleeving.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
You could but if you want to do it properly, it sounds like you already know! Cut, solder and heat shrink sleeving.
Believe it or not the tail light wires on my bike, basically the wire is layed on top of the other and shrink wrap only to compress the two together. Cheap fkg HD. It does seem to work ok, so what do I know. Me, I'm a solder and shrink guy.
Ron

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Believe it or not the tail light wires on my bike, basically the wire is layed on top of the other and shrink wrap only to compress the two together. Cheap fkg HD. It does seem to work ok, so what do I know. Me, I'm a solder and shrink guy.
Ron
Wow! The money they charge for their stuff it should be silver soldered!!
It really is incredible some of the stuff you come across when you dig deep into these bikes! That is the sort of stuff you expect to find from back street cowboys, not world renowned manufacturers.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I twist, braze, hammer, cover with rubber, pack with cement, shrink and then weld to the frame. After that I dance a jig and sing a prayer to Lucas, the English God of darkness.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
I crimp them, then solder, with heat shrink over the top.
View attachment 603735
I twist, braze, hammer, cover with rubber, pack with cement, shrink and then weld to the frame. After that I dance a jig and sing a prayer to Lucas, the English God of darkness.
I thought he was only a prince but he did make his mark in electrics. Very few of us here remember the 70s Triumphs and the Zener diodes, etc. The concept of the + ground never sat well with me either.
Ron

·
Registered
643 Posts
Hey now... I learned to drive on an Allis-Chalmers tractor that was a 6 volt, positive ground system with a magneto! Still have it even. And you guys think parts are hard to find for these bikes....

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
? LOL Positive earth!! Reminds me of the day I fitted a negative earth car radio into a friends positive earth Morris Minor! Had to wrap all the body of the radio in rubber and tape to make sure it didn't touch anything! Managed to convince him to let me flash it to negative earth later in time.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here’s the finished job. There was an untapped hot on this connector so I pinned the other side and hooked the hot for the aux lights to it. Now my aux lights stay on with the brights. The red is the add on wire

·
Registered
643 Posts
Yup. That’s the connection for the “position indicator “. I used that circuit for the low beam bulb so it stays on with the high beam. Good choice

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey now... I learned to drive on an Allis-Chalmers tractor that was a 6 volt, positive ground system with a magneto! Still have it even. And you guys think parts are hard to find for these bikes....
Me too, Allis-Chalmers and John Deere tractors, back in the early 1950's.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts