Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Need to replace the tires on my Muscle. I've been doing some research on my own but was wondering if anyone had some opinion and/or practical experience they could share or advise.

I still have the original (I believe) Dunlop Elite 3's coming up on 14k miles. Looking for something that performs at least as well and lasts at least as long.

In no particular order:
1) Michelin Commander 3
(they don't make it in my rear tire size yet (240/40 R18) but I can probably still get the Commander II's)
2) Metzeler 888 Marathon
(concerned about grip)
3) Pirelli Night Dragon
(concerned about durability)
4) Avon AV72 Cobra
(concerned about wet traction - typically don't drive in the rain but have gotten caught in rain before)
5) Dunlop Elite 3
(already familiar with performance...just checking to see if there was anything better or if they have improved over the last 11 years).

Or...any other suggestions.

AND...one last thing: 240 (stock) vs. 260 on the rear. Any performance advantages? Metz's are cheaper in 260.

Thanks.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi J.Kidd,
The only thing I can comment on is going from 240 to 260. I went from Stock 240 to the Metzeler 880 Marathon. Right away I noticed a smother ride and taking turns was much smoother as well. I was very pleased with the change and purchase.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks marksd2167.

Upon further research, I am leaning hard toward the Metzeler Cruisetec. Seems like a tire specifically built for our type of bike. I believe it was released last year.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks marksd2167.

Upon further research, I am leaning hard toward the Metzeler Cruisetec. Seems like a tire specifically built for our type of bike. I believe it was released last year.
Just looked at them a little bit just now. Sounds great! I wish I was in need of new tires!! but mine are fine for now. If you go with them, I'd like to hear what you have to say about them.

·
matt blk & fire hot
1,569 Posts
3) Pirelli Night Dragon (concerned about durability)
Not sure why you're concerned about the durability. Everything I've been able to find shows the compound should wear for quite sometime. What I do know is, these are the best tires I have ever had on my DX.

I've had Dunlop and Metzler on the bike previously and was not Impressed. Unfortunately there is very few options for tread patterns that will work in anything other then summer riding conditions. Cold and Wet weather tires just can't be found due to the bike being considered more of a summer bar hopper.

I ride my bike more like a rice rocket, and love to rip it up in the twisties. I had to modify the suspension and raised the bike up to get the frame to stop dragging on the asphalt in the turns. None of the other tires gave me the stability in the turns the way the Night Dragons can lean into a turn. When I looked at the steering geometry the tracking shifts as you lean the bike due to the rear 240 tire riding up on the edge and the front tire has little change being more narrow.
The 260 causes the bike to be unstable if you lay the bike over. Most riders never really lean in the straight line they ride.

It all depends on your riding style as to what tire is best for you. Poser, barcalounger, cruiser, hot rod, pushing the edge each have their own requirements.

·
Departed the Fix.
5,162 Posts
I've always been very pleased with the Metzeler ME880's-- but the new Cruisetec looks very interesting.

AND, it comes in a 260/40/18.

I'm about due new tires.

Hmmmmm.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
3) Pirelli Night Dragon (concerned about durability)
Not sure why you're concerned about the durability. Everything I've been able to find shows the compound should wear for quite sometime. What I do know is, these are the best tires I have ever had on my DX.

I've had Dunlop and Metzler on the bike previously and was not Impressed. Unfortunately there is very few options for tread patterns that will work in anything other then summer riding conditions. Cold and Wet weather tires just can't be found due to the bike being considered more of a summer bar hopper.

I ride my bike more like a rice rocket, and love to rip it up in the twisties. I had to modify the suspension and raised the bike up to get the frame to stop dragging on the asphalt in the turns. None of the other tires gave me the stability in the turns the way the Night Dragons can lean into a turn. When I looked at the steering geometry the tracking shifts as you lean the bike due to the rear 240 tire riding up on the edge and the front tire has little change being more narrow.
The 260 causes the bike to be unstable if you lay the bike over. Most riders never really lean in the straight line they ride.

It all depends on your riding style as to what tire is best for you. Poser, barcalounger, cruiser, hot rod, pushing the edge each have their own requirements.
Exactly the type of feedback I was looking for! Thank you!

I come from a sport bike and prefer to ride this bike in a similar fashion (as much as the bike will allow). I like to lean this bike in the corners (as much as possible, anyway). I'm constantly scraping my pegs and have learned to use my heal as a "feeler". And, that was my concern in going to a wider tire. From the research I have done, going to a 260 would not suit me well as I DO like to lean the bike and I am quite comfortable doing so. I've seen comments about the wider tire "wanting to stand the bike up". Not what I am looking for. If wide open space straight line cruising was my thing, I believe I would opt for the wider tire (or even possibly a different bike...as I am NOT a bar hopper).

I'm pretty sure I have settled on tire width (going with stock 240) but you have given me something to think about as far as tire choice. The Pirelli's always come highly recommended. I just don't want to go through a set in 5-7k miles. I live in New England so if the temp is above 45 degrees, I'll take the bike out. Granted, my riding style is MUCH different in the cold and in the wet. I am much more reserved in those conditions. But, when the weather (and pavement and tires) warm up, I do like more of an aggressive riding style. I'll look harder at the Pirelli's.

Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I opted to go with the Metzeler Cruisetec's and I also opted to stay with the stock 240 tire.

I had it narrowed down to these Metz's and the Pirelli's. I had learned that Pirellli owns Metz and that these new Cruiestec's were developed for my style bike and my style of riding, I figured these would be at least as good as the Night Dragon's but more tailored with new technology/development specifically for my V-Rod.
"Metzeler’s engineers started from scratch when they designed a new dual-compound tire built to meet the needs of hefty large- and mid-sized cruiser bikes."

So far, initial impressions are very positive. What a difference in turning!!! I previously had to "work" the bike into a lean and continue to "work" to keep it there. With the new tires, lean-in is almost in responsive to my thoughts as the bike does what I want to WHEN I want it to....much more in line with my experience on sport bikes. It makes the bike feel MUCH more maneuverable and, dare it say it, even a bit lighter! I can not believe what I a difference these tires have made in how the bike feels. I had become comfortable on the bike given its characteristics when I got it. With these tires, I feel an even closer connection between what I want the bike to do and how much quicker it responds to my inputs! All the articles I have read talking about the development and technology used in this tire are making sense with how it feels.

I have to give them 100 or so miles before I can start testing their grip, but so far and I am very happy with this choice. There are several articles online discussing the build (carcass, dual compound, increased curvature, tread design, etc.) for a better understanding if you are so inclined to investigate.

Cycle World Review

Motorcyclist Online Review

1 - 10 of 10 Posts