Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the most comfortable seat for an '06 R? It is very confusing. Sundowner ($179), Corbin ($499). I see a lot of discussion about seats for other models, but not much about the R. I am also curious about a better passenger seat for my wife. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Big Dawg
705 Posts
I have the Sundowner and the pillion. Much better than stock but the rider seat puts yoou to close the air box IMHO. There is also the option of reworking your stock seat. That has worked out for alot of our members.

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
JMHO, but I love my Corbin. All day comfort. What little my wife rides, she just hates the pegs. Good luck. Joe

·
Registered
494 Posts
Oregon R said:
What is the most comfortable seat for an '06 R? It is very confusing. Sundowner ($179), Corbin ($499). I see a lot of discussion about seats for other models, but not much about the R. I am also curious about a better passenger seat for my wife. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Russel CycleProducts in my neighborhood did a custom one-off on my seat pans and tank bra - $500.00 and I am very happy. If you call them, talk to Mike about the V-Rod seat he did and tell him that Ephraim suggested you call. I'll let him use my bike to match everything up (if need be - once he has worked your seat pans) That is, should you decide to giver them a try.

http://www.day-long.com/

My seat: http://www.1130cc.com/gallery/files/5/3/9/4/DSC00442_original.jpg

:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Corbin Seat

I have the corbin standard seat which gives you a little more room to move back over stock. The passenger seat is definitely better than stock. The R is not a great passenger bike. I like the sleek look of the corbin seat over the Harley sundowner. Corbin seat is very comfortable for long rides and is worth the money if you plan to keep your bike.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Gota love the Corbin !

I could go about 100 miles before the stock seat became unbearable. I bought the Corbin and have been able to make several long distance multi-day trips with out problem. If you are planning on keeping this bike for a while IMHO the Corbin is a great investment.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have a Corbin on my RoadKing. Have put 60k on it. Wonderfull seat. Now that they have adjusted the prices to something in this universe I think I will get one for the R.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Don't waste your money on the Sundowner. I have one and while it's more comfortable than stock (Primarily because it's wider), it has the same low quality foam that the stock seat has. I've had mine for a couple of thousand miles now and, after a 150 miles or so, it feels like I'm sitting on the frame rails. I'm going with the Corbin.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Corbin Seat

I too have the Sundowner seat on my '06 R and it is a step up from the stock seat but like people have said before it pushes you up towards the airbox cover. Does anyone know if you buy a seat from Corbin, can you return it if you don't like it? I want to try it but don't want to be stuck with it and not like it after spending the $500

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
I have never personally known anyone to return one. I heard on here someone had a friend who had a 3rd cousin who had his Corbin bust a seam. I have never seen that, and find the quality quite good. Buy it, try it. You will probably like it. You will love it compared to the stock or sundowner!

·
Greg
604 Posts
mpercarp said:
Does anyone know if you buy a seat from Corbin, can you return it if you don't like it?
It's been a while, but in 2003 I bought a Corbin for a Ducati Monster. I returned the seat, not because I didn't like the fit or feel, but because the seat pan was a mess (it appeared to have been used and abused). I opted to get a Sargent instead and Corbin gave me a complete refund, no questions asked. At that time their customer service was very good. I'm now thinking about giving Corbin another shot and get a setup for my R.

·
reservation dogs
1,993 Posts
I like the stock R seat, I have done many 500 mile days with no problem. I didn't like the Sundowner. It felt lower in the front than the rear and I kept sliding into the airbox.

·
Bike snob
756 Posts
I think it depends on your riding position.
With the stock handlebars, and then '07 stock 'R handlebars the stock seat sucked. The Sundowner ruled.
Then I moved to adjustable clubman bars and a sportier-riding position and the Sundowner was down right miserable. The stock seat, however, seems to be made for this position.
I had a Mustang seat on my last bike, it was pretty comfortable.
I can't stomach (or right now, afford) shelling out the $$$ for a Corbin seat. I'd rather pay for other mods when I have the money.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Question; with a Russel or Corbin seat do you need to use the accessory baseplate Harley sells for use with the Sundowner passenger seat? I would prefer not to drill holes in my bike. The Russel and Rick Mayer seats look very similar. I find I like to scoot up on my seat when running the canyons so maybe I would find a Sundowner pretty comfy. Anyone want to sell me one? I repadded the stocker with gel foam and filled in the step completely so the seat is almost flat. It is better than stock until I move foreward for a brisk canyon romp. It sounds to me like I would be happy with the Sundowner.

·
**RodhscR**
532 Posts
You dont have to drill a hole in your bike for the base plate. You take out 4 bolts and put 4 back in. It also is the base for a sissy bar and or luggage rack.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
One of the sales staff at Antelope Valley HD has a bare aluminum tractor seat on his Big Twin. No padding at all, just bare metal. Yikes!
Do you need the base plate for a Russel, Corbin or Rick Mayer seat?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Philthy said:
One of the sales staff at Antelope Valley HD has a bare aluminum tractor seat on his Big Twin. No padding at all, just bare metal. Yikes!
Do you need the base plate for a Russel, Corbin or Rick Mayer seat?
Do you need the base plate for a Russel, Corbin or Rick Mayer seat? - YES.
I'm REALLY lovin' my Russel seat.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Thanks for all the info. I haven't seen the R model baseplate but the one's I've seen on other versions of the V-Rod required drilling two holes in the fender.
Did Russel build the seat on the stock seat base or on his own? Also, is there any great difference in the seat bases between the Sundowner and stock seats? Which of the two would be a better starting point for Russel or Rick Mayer, or does it matter?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts