Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the se forum to no avail :(
TIme to replace my battery...
What does everybody like to use (under $100 please)
Also, when I search on websites like rockymountainatv, etc It doesnt list the se2... Whats the closest model? W?
Thanks in advance!
Dave

·
Registered
27 Posts
Don't know if it matters much, I'm convinced every battery relabeled and sold in the US is made by EPM (East Penn Manufacturing). I just bought a new battery for my Chopper (Big Dog K9) it was an ETX20L from Advanced Auto, funny thing is if ya research batteries most don't even bother changing the part number on them, they just put their own label on them and jack up the price. Research on East Penn Manufacturing's Web site and see what ya find. They are the makers of Big Crank, Cycle Tron, Magna Power, Braille, HD OEM and many others.

·
ISU
1,446 Posts
the stock battery is still a good choice. i would not recommend going to the local parts store and buying a cheap one. they last about a year. my stock one lasted 5 and never used a tender. now with my new battery with a tender, it should lat longer.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I bought my 05' SE in October of 09'. The stock battery was still starting fine, but after 4 years I opted for a new one. I shopped around and went with the stock HD. Been in there for a year now, and I haven't had a single problem.

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
:them:

OEM is the best for me, Skip

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,151 Posts
I have always liked odyssey batteries for my bikes but they don't make one for the vrod. But they do point to this one:
http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/DekaETX14.htm

I have no experience with this though. Have had my bike for over 4 years now and still running the same battery.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have always liked odyssey batteries for my bikes but they don't make one for the vrod. But they do point to this one:
http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/DekaETX14.htm

I have no experience with this though. Have had my bike for over 4 years now and still running the same battery.
Check my earlier post the Deka is EPM's house brand, if ya look around you'll find quite a few batteries with the same model #ETX14 just different labels. Any EPM battery is a good battery whichever label is on it, just depends on how much you want to pay for the same battery. If you buy the HD OEM it'll cost more for the same battery, as a MagnaPower, BigCrank etc. broken record here but same battery.

·
USCG
114 Posts
I dunno, but the Advance auto battery I put in my wifes Streetbob has lasted longer then my HD battery that I put in my VROD a month earlier. I am not too happy with HD batteries, my last one lasted 8 months......and of course the POS dealer just shrugged and asked for $120.00 to replace it........ next time I am going to Advance and spending 65.00. - I am on batt. two and shes still on bat one - We live in a townhouse (for now) and a full time tender isnt reasonable.....

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
I was pissed my stocker went after 5 years! Got another one. I used to replace every 2 years. JOE

·
Premium Member
1,601 Posts
I'm replacing my original battery from 02 !
Just because !! I would go with a Deka .
But fortunatly I have enough Chrome Cash and there is a sale next week

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
Don't know if it matters much, I'm convinced every battery relabeled and sold in the US is made by EPM (East Penn Manufacturing). I just bought a new battery for my Chopper (Big Dog K9) it was an ETX20L from Advanced Auto, funny thing is if ya research batteries most don't even bother changing the part number on them, they just put their own label on them and jack up the price. Research on East Penn Manufacturing's Web site and see what ya find. They are the makers of Big Crank, Cycle Tron, Magna Power, Braille, HD OEM and many others.
:them: unless you really blindly believe that all things with the HD label and stamp were actually made by HD

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Here is a quote from a recent post regarding Deca batteries

Rustyg said:
The Bohannan battery web site has an error on its selection page. It claims the 1250CC motors uses DECA EXT14 battery. This is untrue EXT14 is for the 1130CC engines. EXT20L is the battery for the 1250CC engines. Big difference is Cranking amps AND the position of the positive terminal.
ETX14 the positive terminal is on the right side of the battery. EXT20L it is on the left.

To order a ETX20L you have to scrounge around until you find it. I just installed a ETX20L on my 2007 VRSCX (1250CC).
THe best Place I found is Here --> Bohannan Batteries
Delivery is just a couple of days anywhere Continental US.

Note the position of the positive pole on your existing battery for the correct one to order.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Here is a quote from a recent post regarding Deca batteries

THe best Place I found is Here --> Bohannan Batteries
Delivery is just a couple of days anywhere Continental US.

Note the position of the positive pole on your existing battery for the correct one to order.
I'am with you i got one from them about five year's ago and it still test's out good and what i like is i get a email from them some time's asking if it is ok.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Im the original poster of this thread =)
I have an 06 (yes original battery), and the battery goes dead after a week, so time to be proactive.
I emailed BohannonBattery and told them about the crossed part number, below is his response. And BTW, looking at the battery with the terminals closest to the side of the battery, my positive terminal is on the right side.
My question is, even though the se2 is a 2006, and of course it has the 1250cc, so our battery is a 20L ?????

Hey Dave,

I just corrected the cross reference on my site, if that was on a forum, if you could please let them know that, I would appreciate it.

The ETX20L fits the VRSC V-rod 2008-2009. I do not see a reference to the 2006 year.

Here is a link to the ETX20L specification page, please check the dimensions of the battery to make sure it is the correct one:

http://www.bohannonbattery.com/html/deka/etx20l.html

Joshua Bohannon
Phone: 386-546-6896
Fax: 386-328-3441
Http://www.BohannonBattery.com
"For All Your Battery Needs!"

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,151 Posts
I'd say the '06 SE2 is the 14. '06 SE2 has the narrow frame even though it has the 240 tire.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
I'd say the '06 SE2 is the 14. '06 SE2 has the narrow frame even though it has the 240 tire.
I would think the 1250 engine NEEDS the extra cranking amps of the 20.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
I would think the 1250 engine NEEDS the extra cranking amps of the 20.
It certainly would help but all pre-2007 VRSC models (including the VRSCSE2 and the 2007 VRSCR) came from the factory with an HD 65948-00A. That's the ETX14 size. Some owners have modified things on these models to fit the ETX20L (HD 65989-97C) but these won't just slide in and the battery terminals are reversed.

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,151 Posts
:them: Yes the measurements for the SE2 are the smaller battery (14). My space is like only 6" across, no way I can get the 20 in there.

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
The correct battery for the VRSCSE2 is the ETX14 size.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the VRSCSE uses the same battery, seeing that the ETX14 was used on every V-Rod throughout at least 2006.

I feel that the best place to buy a new battery is Batteries Plus. They sell the Deka (Maker of the Harley-Davidson OEM battery) for about the same price as the dealership.

The advantage to buying it from your local Batteries Plus is that you can pick the freshest one from the shelf and return it without hassle if needed.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Rustyg said:
The Bohannan battery web site has an error on its selection page. It claims the 1250CC motors uses DECA EXT14 battery. This is untrue EXT14 is for the 1130CC engines. EXT20L is the battery for the 1250CC engines. Big difference is Cranking amps AND the position of the positive terminal.
ETX14 the positive terminal is on the right side of the battery. EXT20L it is on the left.

To order a ETX20L you have to scrounge around until you find it. I just installed a ETX20L on my 2007 VRSCX (1250CC).
My original post of my original post says it all

If the positive post is on the right side use EXT14
If the positive post if on the left use EXTL20

1 - 20 of 31 Posts