Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about getting rid of the Dog's A$$. I want to lower the rear end with the Progressive 440's, where can I get the best price?

P.S. I'm up for a group buy if anyone can set it up.

·
Banned
1,307 Posts
Have you considered?

If cost is a major factor, have you considered having your stock shocks cut down an inch?
Skullman has setup quite a few members here:
www.skullent.com $69 to drop the back about 1 inch.

I bought a used set of shocks from Kaz for $100, had em cut for $69, so I can go back to stock if so choose... total price: less than 1/2 the progressive shocks, not to mention you will want the custom covers (add another $20-40) for the progressive mount posts.

Not sure why so many go for these shocks, can't see how the ride can be "so much better" in an ADJUSTABLE shock. If it's too soft and squishy, stiffen it up.

Common sense approach to V-Rod suspension: Skullman shortened shocks, and Harley "race" front fork oil is all you'll ever need IMO.

I'll be doing a write up on the install as soon as I get my billet muffler clamps in...

Good luck.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
I GOT 2 MORE BRAND NEW"TAKE OFFS 0 MILES" SETS IF INTERESTED! ;) :kaz:

·
Registered
454 Posts
Kennedy said:
Not sure why so many go for these shocks, can't see how the ride can be "so much better" in an ADJUSTABLE shock. If it's too soft and squishy, stiffen it up.
I haven't tried the Progressive's yet (deciding between them, the air shocks and smooth polished shocks) but the stock shock's ride quality is horrible IMHO. If you stiffen them up you need a mouth-piece to keep your teeth on any decent size bump at high speed, if you soften them they bottom out.

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
I agree Vman.... one of my priorities...

·
Banned
1,307 Posts
Well...

I haven't tried any other shock either, but I know if you go with a lower shock, you'll have to ride stiff to KEEP from bottoming out.

Many factors affect the ride on the V-rod. I ride on setting 2, weight about 175, and find it more than comfortable in bumps. Progressive vs. linear springs, progressive vs linear dampening, and other factors affect performance.

It's important to realize that this is more easily defined in vehicle with lots of travel. All of this is really "nill" when you consider the 3-4 inches of rear travel we have in the V-rod rear. It's even more important to consider your shortening that travel more when you lower the bike.

Bottom line: Just trying to help you manage your expectations. When you ride low, you have to ride rough

Many will come here singing the praises of Progressive Shocks, and they should, because they spent $400+ another $40-50 to make them look "acceptable" on the Vrod. But what did the purchaser gain? Lower - Skullman can do that. No longer bottom out- Stiffen it up one setting (Oh BTW, now that your lower, better make it two).

Once again, knowing what i know about suspensions (I have mean offroad lifted Xterra , and a track ready VW), the kind of ride improvement you will recieve is not worth the money IMO.

Legend Air is different in it's an air powered height adjustable system. If you got $1500 to spend on rear shocks, then power to ya! Perhaps you could put some "switches" on it, then pimp the rod out. Another cool, yet excessively useless mod IMO...
They sure look good on Frank Storms bike though.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I got my Progressive 440's from Main Street/Chopper Steve at V-mod.com.
By the time I got done it was $500. I appreciated his advise on the subject and his good service. I didn't shop him.
For me (I ride 2-up), it was worth every nickel and I'd spend it again, only faster. I had the stock shocks as jacked up as they would go and it wasn't enough. I got the 13" (stock height), but they are available in 12" too I understand.
:2cents:

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
justinh said:
I'm thinking about getting rid of the Dog's A$$. I want to lower the rear end with the Progressive 440's, where can I get the best price?

P.S. I'm up for a group buy if anyone can set it up.
PM me I have a dealer account for them, I'll hook you up.

·
Banned
1,307 Posts
Jimaroo said:
I got my Progressive 440's from Main Street/Chopper Steve at V-mod.com.
By the time I got done it was $500. I appreciated his advise on the subject and his good service. I didn't shop him.
For me (I ride 2-up), it was worth every nickel and I'd spend it again, only faster. I had the stock shocks as jacked up as they would go and it wasn't enough. I got the 13" (stock height), but they are available in 12" too I understand.
:2cents:
Jimaroo...
Understood. If I understand correctly, you ride 2 up, and your combined weight is 430 lbs. If the stock shocks couldn't take it, I fully understand your investment... You needed something stiffer, and what replacement shocks are intended for.

I'm just trying to make the point that buying shocks that LOWER your bike will not result in a better ride. Those two things cannot be accomplished together. Less uptravel must be stiffr or you'll rub. If you want a soft squishy ride, you should consider of all things raising the bike.

Sometimes I think some people change stuff on thier bike JUST because it's aftermarket. I prefer to take a more scientific approach to my upgrades... except for the chrome crap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts