Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Riding the good life
4,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know where you can get PM wheels at a good price?

·
backcracker
735 Posts
Bummer Rich, I was hoping someone would get back to you and I could use it too!! I am looking everyday and if I find a good price I will let you know.

Dan

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I ordered mine straight from PM. Not sure if someone else could have given me a better deal.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Price is only half the problem ....
Check availability and delivery times......Guarranteed.
Then check out other companies :)...(I have nothing against this company)
I have heard some stories on this and the other forum.Check them out yourself.
BobT

·
Submariner
186 Posts
There's a place out of ND that has crushed everyone's prices on wheels, including PM, Pro-one, Revtech, etc.

Contact John @ Specialty Company, (701) 837-1467. Tell him I referred you, he's already got a long list of quotes he can refer to quickly.

As an example, the PM Monaco chrome wheels/pulley/rotors were roughly $3100, which is about $800 less than I found on some pretty common sites. What kills you is the wait though... about 4-6 weeks out on the PM's.

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
There is a big mark up on these wheels. The guy that runs the local repair shop priced me a front chrome pm wrath to my door for $750.00

·
Riding the good life
4,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From what I saw at PMs web site, you have to order the wheels either for PM brake system, or Harley OEM brake system. It seems the systems ar enot interchangable, and i am not sure why.

To do the wheels and brakes is insanely high on PMs pricing. I can do it if I want to, but, the OEM stuff works fine. I can use th emoney on somehting else, bike or not bike related.

Its just cleaning these damn wheels, and the effort required to do it. If I have to remove the Stock HD wheels, to get them plated, or to do a trade in, it would end up being in thesame price range as PM it looks like.

I let the wheels go for about a month to see hwta would happen, and it took several bifuoride treatments to remove 99% of the pits from the brake dust, and then I had to deal with the oxidation too.

So it was treat with bifluoride, rubbing compound and finally WICKED to get them to look good, and a total pain in the ass. 3 hours for one wheel, and I HATE it. There is better things to do in life than rubbing a piece of metal, hell I sooner rub my wife, at least I'd get something out of it that makes sense.

I do not understand why Harley cannot make something that is easy to take care of. Spending 18 grand on a bike, you'd think they'd start thinking with their brains and not the assh**les. This wheel issue has been around for a long, long time, and I am beginning to believe that the people responsible at MoCo are really STUPID. I hope they read this and decide to do something right.

No complaints on the motor, or anything else, but after seeing the same issue with :tmbsdow: :alien: :yak: my stock 89 Sportster wheels, and now with a 2002 V-Rod, thats 13 years for the lazy bastards to figure it out. HD YOU LISTENING????? Make a new friggin wheel your customers can live with!!!

It would be great to walk into a dealership to see a bike that has everything done right from the get go, buy the damn thing and be done with it. Ride it, beat the hay out of it, trade it in for another.

When you see Big Dog selling theirs for 32 - 35 K I wonder what MoCo thinks? That no one is buying them?

Want to know what i REEEALLLYYY think?

·
Metal Guitarist
5,201 Posts
i would like a PM front wheel, other than the cleaning, to help with the buffeting in windy areas...but i am thinking of a wider tire in the back...i didn't see any wide rims from the PM guys.(and if they do make them, it is probably out of my budget).i might go with the speed point route for the back rim and just get it chromed. Any opinions on this?

·
Riding the good life
4,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I called Wallys discount motorcycle parts @ 800-745-6830, his prices are this for the WRATH wheels:

Front 19 X 3 = 679.95
Rear 18 X 5.5 = 849.95

Did not check lead time, but here is something interesting. PM makes 2 wheels types for the V-Rod. One supports V-Rod brake systems, the other uses PM, and guess what? To run the stock HD application, PM list price reflects that you pay more for the luxury of running the stock brake system.

I started pricing the PM brake system, but as the cost just on the rotors for the front alone ended up at 900.00 bucks at PM list price, common sense kicked in and says no way Jose. Looking at the calipers, they will run something like 400.00 each, and then the rear at 500.00 and finally the pulley is 550.00. For bling - bling, that is polished and not chromed

I paid 100.00 each for floating rotors for my Sportster, and knowing that this is a reasonable price for a rotor, what makes PM believe they can gouge that much more for their parts? Perry Sands and company can kiss my okole (Hawaiian for A$$)!

Be sure if you order PM, to specify what brake system you are going to run, otherwise you'll end up sending stuff back, time and money loss for the effort.

·
backcracker
735 Posts
I spoke with PM yesterday and they said they will be coming out with the fat tire kit sometime this spring. It will be the same wheels they have now plus the new Roulette wheel. It is the wheel that comes up first when you get on their website.

·
Submariner
186 Posts
FastVRSCA said:
i would like a PM front wheel, other than the cleaning, to help with the buffeting in windy areas...but i am thinking of a wider tire in the back...i didn't see any wide rims from the PM guys.(and if they do make them, it is probably out of my budget).i might go with the speed point route for the back rim and just get it chromed. Any opinions on this?
You probably saw the other thread about the speed-point fattening deal, but I also e-mailed them a while back to get the scoop. Basically was told 4-5 weeks turnaround after receipt of your wheel, will fatten it up to 7.75 x 18 and will accomodate a 240 tire using stock pulley, swingarm, etc. Also requires a rotor spacer. Quoted price was $750 for wheel work, $100 for spacer.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I don't know how anyone can get a pm rim for $750 bucks no way, not chromed, uh uh.

I buy from pm all the time and dealers only get 20/25% off retail. thats a fact man! One of our clients buys 50 sets a month and gets the best deal ive seen and even thats not 40% off. DH

Plus thier very proud of their 6/10 week back order list.

·
Metal Guitarist
5,201 Posts
ubetyerazz said:
You probably saw the other thread about the speed-point fattening deal, but I also e-mailed them a while back to get the scoop. Basically was told 4-5 weeks turnaround after receipt of your wheel, will fatten it up to 7.75 x 18 and will accomodate a 240 tire using stock pulley, swingarm, etc. Also requires a rotor spacer. Quoted price was $750 for wheel work, $100 for spacer.
Thanks chris, that is alot more in my budget, plus it will be wide. :driving:

·
Submariner
186 Posts
FastVRSCA said:
Thanks chris, that is alot more in my budget, plus it will be wide. :driving:
Don't know what you've got, so here's a heads up for you --- they also said they won't do it to a chromed wheel, so be sure to send a stock wheel.

·
Diesel Smoke Tester
862 Posts
Be prepared to wait!!

It's ;been a while, but........the couple of times that I have dealt with Perf. Mach., they were slower than molassas in January. A friend had the same experience when trying to buy a custom part direct from them. Maybe they're better now, but it took many phone calls and e-mails for me to get my business taken care of. Twice was enough for me. Their stuff is really nice though. Just my two cents!?!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts