Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Greekrider
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The stock suspension of our V-rods sucks...Especially When you put a second person on your bike...What's is the best (non air) suspension that you recommend?

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts
Progressive 440s are pretty damn good.

·
boo
5,211 Posts
DX says it's 12.5" stock. it's actually a bit longer, around 12.7" or so, eye to eye. if you get the 12.5" Arnott 440's they will lower your bike a tiny bit (more than 0.2 inches though, given the geometry). 13" will raise it, of course. most with the DX have gone with the 12.5, unless you really want to lower it a bunch and go with 12"

·
FATASSDX
2,143 Posts
I really like my Works Performance Pro Racers. Lots of adjustability and much improved ride.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Ricor Intiminators in front, and Ricor Shocks on the rear.

·
Soul Stumpy
2,186 Posts
Penske triple adjustable rear shocks and Traxxion racing cartridges up front. You'll be hard pressed to find anything better, regardless of price.

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
:them: +1

Penske NRS Shocks Rear. Traxxion AK-20's with adjusters Front.

Rick

·
Trouble Maker
1,078 Posts
Anybody have any pics of their shocks on their bikes? I am looking to upgrade my rear shocks also. Thanks, Jim

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
Anybody have any pics of their shocks on their bikes? I am looking to upgrade my rear shocks also. Thanks, Jim

Yeah, I know - I'm a SHOW OFF...

Rick

·
Trouble Maker
1,078 Posts
Those are pretty sweet looking. How do you like them. How do they compare single and with a rider? Thanks. Jim

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
I LOVE the combo of Penske & AK-20. Traxxion does work for (and with) Penske, so they're familiar with my rear setup.

You spec the pre-load when they're built - your weight, with standard load (saddlebags, etc.) and whether you ride 2 up often.

Mine was spec'd 2-up occasionally, and my damping/rebound is soft for general beating around, and a couple of clicks harder when I'm out riding with my ricer friends. I really need to get down to the next open track day at Homestead, to get all my setting "ridden out" and documented (and I doubt my old race-leather are gonna fit anymore).

Two up is barely noticeable in difference, though the balance of the bike is pretty fine with my setup, suspension feedback is much more "detailed" (for lack of a better word) than stock. You can tell if your passenger isn't far enough forward. It doesn't wallow or anything with a passenger, but you can feel the center of gravity shift towards the rear somewhat. As long as they're positioned properly (nipples digging into my shoulderblades), they're barely noticeable (except when their nipples get hard). And my tastes don't run towards the "fatty" end of women. As far as the Penske's go, a few clicks on the damping should smooth out any additional rebound caused by a passenger.

This ain't a dresser anyway, so the "leaning back on the backrest like you're on a couch" thing, is going to throw the balance off with ANY suspension.

Suspension choices are really dependent on riding style. If you're setting up as a "cruiser". one is pretty much as good as another (with air ride probably being best for "cushiness"). I'm setup for the "sport" end of the sport/cruiser genre. Tire chatter while hard cornering is unacceptable to me. This setup is about as close to ricer/sportbike suspension as I'm gonna get, and I've been extremely happy with it so far.

Rick

·
Soul Stumpy
2,186 Posts
What Rick said. I have pretty much the same setup, you'll be hard pressed to find anything better.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts