Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - I'm new to this forum and also my 2003 Anniversary V-Rod. Bought it at an insurance auction. Previous owner dumped it on the left side, so I am in the process of fixing the problems. One of my biggest concerns it the handle bars - left side was pretzeled and also caused quite a dent in the left side of the air box cover. As long as I need to replace the bars... what is the best way to go, in order to end up with something that (1) improves handling (2) is a direct bolt-on replacement that works with the existing gauges and (3) looks good ??
I have seen some Z bars that look pretty nice, but don't seem to be a direct bolt-on replacement. What can you suggest for me to look at? Anyone out there replaced their 2003 bars, and if so, what has been your experience?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Handle bars that improve handling? No such thing.
03 bars bolt directly to the Upper Tree. You need risers from a different VRSC model that can bolt on and use 1 inch bars. Bars are not a one size fits all. It's more of a personal comfort vs looks.

·
VRSC est -03
2,664 Posts
Links:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Links:

Thanks for the recommendations - I'll have a look at them.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My 2002 V-Rod feels like it handles much better with drag bars, maybe because of the balance and improved front end feeling.
However, I did put drag bars on my 2 previous Harleys as well for the same reason.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is good to know, regarding the handling. So, with the drag bars you used, how does that change the position of your hands?? Is your grip now narrower, have to reach forward more? How about the rise... about the same or not?
The other problem apparently with getting away with the stock bars is dealing with the instrument cluster... the "clam shell" What did you do on your 2002, as it is probably the same configuration as my 2003?

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
That is good to know, regarding the handling. So, with the drag bars you used, how does that change the position of your hands?? Is your grip now narrower, have to reach forward more? How about the rise... about the same or not?
The other problem apparently with getting away with the stock bars is dealing with the instrument cluster... the "clam shell" What did you do on your 2002, as it is probably the same configuration as my 2003?
Simplest solution is use the riser and cluster mount from a VRSCB or Nightrod. Other solution is to change airbox cover for one with cluster mount.

·
VRSC est -03
2,664 Posts
At the other end of the price scale:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yikes! Zeel sure is proud of those bars... a mere $1200. Think I will have to pass on that....

·
Registered
549 Posts
When there is a very limited disappearing aftermarket for anything V-Rod. Anything is gonna be very
costly

·
Registered
37 Posts
The vwidth is the same, rise and pull back are less, bringing the hands forward and lower. Steering felt vague to me with the stock bars, or is a long raked out front end, I felt I was leaning back with the stock bars. Plus, I think it looks better.
JimHog(1).jpg

20200425_163556.jpg

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have drag bars on my 2013 DX.
I find it stretches the reach a bit putting a strain on the lower back during long rides. By the time I'm ready for gas...I'm ready for a stretch.
A very noticeable plus is on the highway. Puts me in a lower position avoiding "wind blast" fatigue. A FF helmet/ear plugs help too....but I digress.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Handlebars are a very personal preference. I rode my V-Rod cross country with drag bars and no windshield. I much prefer them to the stock bars. But again the comfort will depend on your personal preference.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts