Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, that's it I finally opted out of the pricey options "especially designed for motorcycles" - even though I really liked the new TomTom rider (version2)
see my previous thread
http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75819

I just bought a TomTom1 for $189 + tax (new)
+ corresponding RAM mount $41 (no tax)
I tested it today - works great and I am very happy with it. Thanks LUX for showing the way!
http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=899921&postcount=2

I am not entirely happy with the big ugly mount but I can live with it - it is better than many I've seen and I can take (most of) it off in seconds.

What is still missing = a cable to hook it up to my battery. Suggestions welcome!

Will post more pix later...

Attachments

·
Lover of Bikes
1,726 Posts
Great stuff. Do you know if the software is just as good as the Rider or Zumo? Does it talk? Do you think it'll work with gloves on? Where'd you get the Ram mount? I guess you could just put a ziplock bag over it when it rains.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Beeek said:
Great stuff. Do you know if the software is just as good as the Rider or Zumo? Does it talk? Do you think it'll work with gloves on? Where'd you get the Ram mount? I guess you could just put a ziplock bag over it when it rains.
Not sure if the software is "as good", but it seems good enough - very user friendly etc.
Yes it talks - it's OK in town (with my stock exhausts!) when you are looking for your destination - Obviously useless at freeway speeds.

Seems to work fine with gloves on - I will post more later if I have any issues - I've only used it for a day or so. Lux on the other hand has had his for a few months.

PS I made the padding for the handlebars in the pix below (to protect from scratches) - does not really show once installed

Attachments

·
LOS ANGELES
1,757 Posts
Looks great to me. Where did you purchase the unit and the mount?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Scrmng E said:
Looks great to me. Where did you purchase the unit and the mount?

Got the GPS from Staples at a time where they were still $299 - asked them if they could price match an ad from Fry's electronic that day for $199 - they not only matched it but gave me an extra 10% on the difference (ie $189).

Now you find them easily for $199
Radio Shack has them on sale this week
http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...r=1&origkw=tomtom&kw=tomtom&parentPage=search

I got the mount from :
http://www.CustomMounts.com/

RAM-B-149 / RAM U-BOLT MOUNT W/ SS HARDWARE

http://www.custommounts.com/RAM_B_149_RAM_U_BOLT_MOUNT_W_SS_HARDWARE_p/ram-b-149.htm

RAM-HOL-TO4U / RAM TomTom ONE holder

http://www.custommounts.com/RAM_HOL_TO4U_RAM_TomTom_ONE_holder_p/ram-hol-to4u.htm

see final result below - does not look too bad I think

Attachments

·
LOS ANGELES
1,757 Posts
Is there is a chance that the unit will come off from the holder due to vibration?

·
Premium Member
Pan American Son of VROD :-)
1,090 Posts
Head down and get some Krylon chrome paint.... disassemble everything and shoot it. Let it cure for 24 hours. It looks a lot better than the the black. If you have the budget, the ram mounts are available in chrome.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Scrmng E said:
Is there is a chance that the unit will come off from the holder due to vibration?
Vibrations - what vibrations???
Looks pretty sturdy to me - the mount is specifically designed for the TomTom one.
http://www.ram-mount.com/tomtom/tomtom_one_mounts.htm

Just as good as the (also RAM) mount they give you with the $699 TomTom rider!

I guess time will tell:D

·
Dr. Laser Guy
997 Posts
PASCAL said:
What is still missing = a cable to hook it up to my battery. Suggestions welcome!
I'm afraid that the other thing that is missing is water-proofing. Be careful in the rain. Rule of thumb for GPS: any unit with a speaker grill isn't water proof. That's the main advantage of the Tom-Tom rider and the Garmin Zumo (I use the latter).

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cbdane said:
I'm afraid that the other thing that is missing is water-proofing. Be careful in the rain. Rule of thumb for GPS: any unit with a speaker grill isn't water proof. That's the main advantage of the Tom-Tom rider and the Garmin Zumo (I use the latter).
very true - this gps will not do well in the rain (kind of goes without saying I thought). I still think it is a minor inconvenience for the huge price difference - I tend to avoid riding in the rain and am lucky that it does not rain much in So Cal!
Guess if you get caugt in a storm you can always throw a plastic bag over it ... or put it in your bag.

·
Premium Member
Pan American Son of VROD :-)
1,090 Posts
The Garmins are either rated for outdoor use or not. It shouldn't be ambiguous at all. I have a RINO 530 and it's been through some nasty water on the ATV.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Pascal, that's the same set up I ride with. I really like my TomTom1, and as a bonus, the handlebar mount fits my digital camera perfectly for some great rolling videos. Do you have a blue tooth speaker system for your helmet? I'd like to be able to hear the TomTom too...

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
As with all motorcycle mounted devices, vibration will take its toll. So far, I've lost the headphone jack on both my Pod and my old XMradio. Finally the mount vibrated to death with the old XM device. I bought the cheapest one I could find to replace it. Trust me, they are disposable.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Daniii said:
As with all motorcycle mounted devices, vibration will take its toll. So far, I've lost the headphone jack on both my Pod and my old XMradio. Finally the mount vibrated to death with the old XM device. I bought the cheapest one I could find to replace it. Trust me, they are disposable.
Jeezus you had Vibration installed on that thing too? Look Daniii isnt it time you just bought a Road King and where done with it? Time for an Intervention before you put Bags & a Fairing on a DX and think its a good idea. I hope the intervention will be in KC if so I will fly out for it cause I care that much.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Daniii said:
Daniii it was the music you play that killed the headphone jack. :rofl:

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ViagROD said:
Pascal, that's the same set up I ride with. I really like my TomTom1, and as a bonus, the handlebar mount fits my digital camera perfectly for some great rolling videos. Do you have a blue tooth speaker system for your helmet? I'd like to be able to hear the TomTom too...
I wish I had known someone had this already because I researched it forever before I decided to go for it - not really knowing if the mount will fit etc.
That's why I posted pictures - if others are interested.
However, as I said in a previous thread, I am not completely done as it is not hooked to the battery yet.
How did you do it??
oh and no I do not have a blue tooth system in my helmet!

·
Registered
911 Posts
Good question, I'm not hooked up to the ignition system, just recharge it from a wall outlet each night. I'm thinking real hard about installing a power port/cig lighter on the 'rod, but haven't found the right set up yet either.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Max said:
Daniii it was the music you play that killed the headphone jack. :rofl:
Hey, I resemble that remark.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
PASCAL said:
I wish I had known someone had this already because I researched it forever before I decided to go for it - not really knowing if the mount will fit etc.
That's why I posted pictures - if others are interested.
However, as I said in a previous thread, I am not completely done as it is not hooked to the battery yet.
How did you do it??
oh and no I do not have a blue tooth system in my helmet!
I have shown 2 ways of doing it, with the Lighter Jack set up like mine or the Trickle Charger jack really no other way, both have fuses to protect the bike and the unit. You will have to connect off the battery something I know you don't want to do.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
luxlamf said:
I have shown 2 ways of doing it, with the Lighter Jack set up like mine or the Trickle Charger jack really no other way, both have fuses to protect the bike and the unit. You will have to connect off the battery something I know you don't want to do.
I cant do the lighter jack way - no room to hide it (not running topless).

The trickle charger : I have one already (see pix) but how do I connect this (safely) to the TomTom?? + is the 7.5amp fuse good enough?
I hate electrical stuff.:banghead:
Also, I read somewhere about another way to connect accessories to some extra available port on the 02s and 03s (which is apparently there to power a light only found on "international" models or something) but I cant find the post + I'd need someone to explain it to me!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 123 Posts