Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone can suggest a really quiet full face helmet ???

I've tried an expensive Simpson auto racing helmet and several less expensive ones (KBC, Nolan, HD) and so far they all have a high level of interior wind noise.

I'm wondering if the more expensive Shoei and Arai may have better sealing face shields (and vents) making them quieter.

Any advice ???

Thanks to all,

EE

·
Yeah, but what if...
4,714 Posts
Shoei x 11 still noisy inside

·
Craig Fehr
2,506 Posts
I can't really compare my helmet to others since I haven't had full faces in a while - except for my Arai RX-7 which I just bought this past summer. I must say though I am quite happy with the fit and feel. The shield fits well and even when it's cracked a bit it isn't that noisy.
For what it's worth, in talking with the salesman when I bought my Aria he said that all the top helmets are very close in terms of wind noise (dB ratings). When you get into this price range he said it's all about comfort.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Arai and Shoei make loud helmets too. In Germany are too manufacturer of relativly silent helmets, i don't know if you can buy them in USA. The one is Schuberth with the helmet "S1" and the other is BMW with the new "Sportintegral". In a lot of tests, they have been the quitest.
Teppo

·
The Tin Man
2,153 Posts
www.helmetharbor.com has Schuberth I think and good prices they are legit also.
I use an x11 on street and I like it for ventilation and comfort - it is quiter than a Simpson that I will be using on the track.
Kevin

·
Registered
1 Posts
Arai's are very good on comfort - most helmets have noise levels high enough to damage hearing - get a comfortable lid and use ear plugs!

·
Fries with that?
1,541 Posts
Wind noise = ventilation. Just something to consider (especially when summer gets here).

I have a Suomy Spec1R... weighs around 3-1/2 lbs., I can barely feel it on my head. It's the best-ventilated helmet on the market... Had it on at Putnam on Sunday morning when the temps were just shy of 40 deg., and had no fogging.

Noisy? Yes... but ear plugs solve that problem.

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
Just put speakers in the helmet and crank it up!

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
I have the Shoei full face and skid lid but it's because of fit. I found that each helmet fits different and the Shoei seems to be formed the same as my head and my RF900 is really pretty quiet compared to others I have had.

Max

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
Noise levels for a particular helmet will vary tremendously, based on the height of the rider, the bike he is on, whether a windshield is fitted or not, etc. So a helmet that is whisper quiet for one rider can be irritatingly loud for another. The quietest possible helmet would have no ventilation ducts or opening visor - and you wouldn't want that.

My recommendation would be to make your selection based on (in this order): fit, comfort, quality, features, and appearance. To get optimal fit you really need to try them on - so this means going to a dealer. If it is a halfway decent dealer they'll let you try them on - and if they are really nice they'll let you take one out on a bike so you can check for wind noise, etc.

When riding around town and going on short hops, I usually just wear the helmet. But on long freeway runs, I'll put in earplugs, which are the best way possible to cut down on noise.

·
Registered
103 Posts
"Noise levels for a particular helmet will vary tremendously, based on the height of the rider, the bike he is on, whether a windshield is fitted or not, etc. So a helmet that is whisper quiet for one rider can be irritatingly loud for another."

Sorry, that is not true. I have read a lot of articles and then i made test drives with the helmets because i don't lieke earplugs. And there are some helmets, witch are much more louder then others. On every bike, with or without windscreen. On some bikes, every helmet is not very loud - the Electra Glide for example. But a quiet helmet is even quiter on the E-Glide than others. The difference between my Arai Maverick and my all new Schuberth S1 ist big, very big - with or witout my windscreen, on my bike or on the BMW from a Friend of mine. On every speed.
Teppo

·
Making the UK Fatter
2,606 Posts
I use an Arai Condor, because it fitted the best, but it was quiet until I put the sport screen on. Get a lid that fits you best, you can make it quieter with ear plugs if required.

Happy lid hunting

Regards

·
Registered
156 Posts
Bad news for the Schuberth S1 availability in the States...

Here is the latest as of Jan 2004:

Schuberth S1: The S-1 Sport Touring helmet is nearing completion of the US DOT certification process but due to the cost of this top-line model and the current Euro exchange rate, the introduction has been delayed indefinitely.

S-1 Coming to the USA?

"Schuberth GmbH introduced the new S-1 full-face helmet to the European
market at the October, 2002 Intermot show in Munich, Germany, but this
model has not been submitted for the required DOT safety certification
testing. As a result, the S-1 is not currently available for sale in the
United States. Intersport Fashions West, Inc. is evaluating the S-1 for
possible importation into the North American market and will be announcing
a decision in late-summer, 2003."

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
Teppo said:
"Noise levels for a particular helmet will vary tremendously, ..." <snip>

Sorry, that is not true.
I was referring to this article.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Full Faced Helmuts

I recently bought an Arai RX-7 Corsair (2 months ago) and it is the first full faced helmut that I have been completly satisfied with. It is very light, as quite as any I have ever had and is very cool and comfortable which was quite important as I live in Florida. I own 9 helmuts this is my favorite. Jeff

1 - 20 of 39 Posts