Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I've been researching on the forums here about the options for front fork mods. It looks like there's a bunch of recommendations:
-Stiffer fork springs
-Heavier oil (or combination of the two)
-Ricor intiminator or similar emulators

I did some research into the Ricors and they look great, but would love to run it past you guys first.

Here's my specifics:
-165lbs and a 115lb GF, we do 2 up riding very often.
-I would like to largely decrease the front end dive under braking.
-I would like to keep ride quality the same or better in terms of absorbing bumps
-I'm not looking for a racing suspension, just a more modern one I guess.

Is Ricor the way to go?

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Hi guys,

I've been researching on the forums here about the options for front fork mods. It looks like there's a bunch of recommendations:
-Stiffer fork springs
-Heavier oil (or combination of the two)
-Ricor intiminator or similar emulators

I did some research into the Ricors and they look great, but would love to run it past you guys first.

Here's my specifics:
-165lbs and a 115lb GF, we do 2 up riding very often.
-I would like to largely decrease the front end dive under braking.
-I would like to keep ride quality the same or better in terms of absorbing bumps
-I'm not looking for a racing suspension, just a more modern one I guess.

Is Ricor the way to go?
Try small amount of extra preload on the spring and heavier oil. You may find that does what you want before spending hard earned money.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
These days I do not have as much time as I used to, while I did see that preload and heavier oil helped out for some folks, I wonder if anyone has done that and then ended up with Ricors. For the money, I would rather just take the front end apart once and put them in vs. experimenting with the oil and springs the first time.

The bike is new to me this season so I still have a complete love affair going on with it and wouldn't mind spending some $$ on her :D

What do you think? Have you done any mods to the forks?

·
Banned
5,281 Posts
Ricors here, 30,000klm's on them.I wouldn't bother mucking about with stiff springs etc. Price wise there's not a lot in it and the ricors will suit whether your solo or two up with the variable valving setup they have, springs suit one weight only a poor compromise by comparison really.How old are your fork leg seals ? Stick some new ones in while it's apart.Axle cap bolts will more than likely round out too if you haven't got an impact driver and snug fitting bit.
Ricors are awesome, comfortable ride when wanted no more front dive and pretty much impossible to bottom out on high speed pot hole hits etc.

·
Departed the Fix.
5,222 Posts
Fork cartridges: Traxxion Dynamics Axxion AK-20
Rear shocks: Race Tech G3-S, custom dual-IFP w/ adjustable rebound dampening

Both built up specifically for your weight and riding style.

Not cheap, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat. The ride? *No* comparison to stock.

Come over to Denver and you can take my F for a spin and see for yourself.

R.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, a lot of great suggestions here. Thanks guys. I think I will go ahead with the Ricors. Those traxxion dynamics look like the ideal way to go, but a bit too pricey for me. Looks like something HD should be doing from the factory to be honest.

I'm putting in an order for the Ricors and their bundled 10W oil, will do the fork seals while i'm in there. I did notice the forks look a bit wetter than they should... well, maybe that is also part of my problem!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.