Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Rocky Mountain VRodr
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Saw the thread on jackets, but what about leather chaps? I LOVE the HD chaps, but I don't have 3 bills to put down.

I ride to work every sunny day I can, and it's a pain to swap out jeans for work pants (plus, I have to carry them in a backpack). Wearing removable chaps would be SO much easier...

I keep hearing there are great chaps at great prices, but where?

Thanks,

KARAF

·
Registered
78 Posts
Also, those with some experience could you explain some of the pros and cons regarding

chaps.........
leather pants over jeans........
leather pants.........

I have always ridden with jeans, but am feeling the need for some leather on the legs.....

Thanks
I am learing alot about the V-Rod from this forum!
Ray

·
Registered
765 Posts
With summer upon us, I'm thinking about getting some ballistic mesh pants that I would wear over my jeans...

These are the Marsee Full Flow Pant. Motorcycle superstore has 'em for $130.95.

FYI, they also have the matching jacket...

·
Will Work For Mod $$
2,866 Posts
Try MetricBikes.com for decent prices on textile riding pants. I picked up a JoeRocket jacket there pretty cheap and they have the matching pants. If your thinking about leather, try Linkamerica.com. They have some good leathers at low prices. Chaps are under $90.

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
saleen146 said:
Also, those with some experience could you explain some of the pros and cons regarding

chaps.........
leather pants over jeans........
leather pants.........

I have always ridden with jeans, but am feeling the need for some leather on the legs.....

Thanks
I am learing alot about the V-Rod from this forum!
Ray
Hey, Ray! I seem to have collected a variety of riding pants of different types, since we have such a range of weather here. For versatility, I like my chaps the best. Good leg protection (except for the hips, which is a big drawback), warm, generally waterproof, and it's really nice to be able to take them off when you stop. I wear them over my Draggin jeans the most. http://www.dragginjeans.com/index.html The Draggin jeans have kevlar patches in the behind and knees, so they make up some for the lack of padding in the chaps. You can also buy armor to go into the jeans. The only problem with them is that they are too hot to wear in the summer here. They're ok as long as you're riding, but I swelter in them at stops any time the temp gets over 80.

I hardly wear my leather pants for riding at all. They're usually too hot in nice weather and not warm enough when it's cool. I don't like how they stick to my skin when it's hot out, at which time there's no way I'd wear jeans or any kind of liner under them anyway.

When it's really hot, I just wear plain jeans. Not as much protection as the other options, but at least they give some. I've got a mesh jacket I really like for summer riding and am considering mesh pants. When it's really hot, it would be nice to be able to wear shorts under the mesh pants. I was surprised last summer, too, at how warm the mesh jacket can be with my rain jacket over it - makes a nice layer of warm air that works down to about 60 degrees.

For winter riding, I have a pair of Cordura overpants with armor everywhere that come off almost as easily as chaps, and I wear all my ski clothes layers under them.

Still, as I said above, what I wear the most is the combination of chaps and the draggin jeans.

·
Fries with that?
1,541 Posts
I gave up chaps in favor of leather pants. Chaps leave too much "critical real estate" unprotected. Chaps don't help in keeping said "critical real estate" at a comfortable operating temperature.

I've got a pair of Hein Gericke leather pants, they are soooo comfortable... fully lined with expansion panels so I can wear whatever I want underneath.

Eventually, I'll upgrade to a pair of Vanson pants with hard armor, but for now these are fine.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I picked up as good a quality pair of chaps as you can get for 140 buck CANADIAN ( 110 US) at the bike show here from a compnay called LEather King. They are out East in Windsor Ontario and I think you could probably look them up and buy a pair. They ones I got are 100 percent leather and look better than the 400 dollar Harley ones ( by Far) thicker leather too.
I also picked up an excellent 100 percentr leqther vest for 50 bucks!
JAmes

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts

·
Rocky Mountain VRodr
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
vroom said:
I ordered a pair of these in medium, haven't got them yet, but I will let you know when I get them if they are any good or not. I figured they were so inexpensive if they are junk I didn't lose much....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=34354&item=7900941635
I checked out their eBay feedback, and it's consistently good. So I'm assuming their products are acceptable. At $25 for chaps and $8 for the vest (+~$20/shipping), that's a lotta leather for $53. Worth a try... He even has full leather pants and jackets at rediculously low prices, but I'm not willing to skimp on those.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

KARAF

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
I had a friend who bought some $25 chaps. Rode through some rain, put the chaps in the saddle bag after the rain quit and forgot about them until the next morning. When he opened the saddle bag it smelled like rotten fish and the chaps had lost almost all of their black color. Seems that whatever they used to tan the hide was water soluable and based on caster oil. They ended up in the dumpster at the hotel.

Simply say you've been warned.

·
Will Work For Mod $$
2,866 Posts
KARAF said:
I checked out their eBay feedback, and it's consistently good. So I'm assuming their products are acceptable. At $25 for chaps and $8 for the vest (+~$20/shipping), that's a lotta leather for $53. Worth a try... He even has full leather pants and jackets at rediculously low prices, but I'm not willing to skimp on those.

KARAF
Seems his items are patch work leather and his shipping charges are high. Guess it depends on your taste and pocketbook. Just my 2 cents.

·
Rocky Mountain VRodr
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
mjw930 said:
Simply say you've been warned.
You're right! But I'm not even sure how much I'll wear them, or if I'll like wearing chaps. My favorites were a pair of HD chaps that fit perfect, but they were $280. High price to pay if I end up not wearing them. But if I can wear these $25 chaps even 25 times to discover if I like wearing chaps, it was worth it.

Thanks for the heads up 'tho. :cheers: I'll watch 'em close in the rain...

KARAF

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
KARAF, I'm like you in that I don't know how much I would wear them. I ride quite often with my 18" harness boots. They help with not letting any wind up the pant leg and two layers of leather over your lower legs, but your quads can get chilly. Been thinking of ordering the 32" boots, but not ready to shell out the 8 C notes.

·
Registered
145 Posts
KARAF said:
Hi All,

Saw the thread on jackets, but what about leather chaps? I LOVE the HD chaps, but I don't have 3 bills to put down.

I ride to work every sunny day I can, and it's a pain to swap out jeans for work pants (plus, I have to carry them in a backpack). Wearing removable chaps would be SO much easier...

I keep hearing there are great chaps at great prices, but where?

Thanks,

KARAF
I do the same... I bought the HD Basic Skins chaps when they were on sale (I got 30% off) so I only paid $125.00 for them. They fit great and look good with plenty of leg length (36" inseem for me)

·
AMF
423 Posts
I looked at several different sets of chaps before just plunking down the big bucks for the Harley chaps. All of the low cost chaps seemed cheap to me. The leather was low quality, the zippers were thin and none of the low cost chaps had any type of leg liner or stretch panels for comfort. I too was unsure if I would wear them. But, after using them a few times, I would not ride without them in cooler weather. They are a little bulky, but it is great not having to change clothes after getting to work. My :2cents:

·
VROOOOOMMM!!!
763 Posts
KARAF said:

KARAF
I got these-- they fit good, but as another said, they are patchwork-- a bunch of little pieces of leather sewed together. they are thin, and do have a liner, but the bottoms of the legs are cheap. the zipper is big, but feels like cheap pot metal, and there's not much of an overlap to cover the zipper, so I imagine the water would get in there. I would say they're worth the 25 bucks, but they definately AREN'T harley or high quality stuff. I think I would prefer an expensive set of one piece leather that I KNOW I could get caught in a storm and not worry about having water drain down to the bottom of my feet. These would work in a pinch, but I will get some nicer.

·
Rocky Mountain VRodr
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
vroom said:
These would work in a pinch, but I will get some nicer.
Great feedback, thanks. I'm betting that's exactly what I end up doing. This may end up working out great tho', thin leather is just what the doctor ordered to get through what is shaping up to be a hot summer. Then I can look into a higher quality pair...

KARAF

1 - 19 of 19 Posts