Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First... at 500 miles I catch a screw to the rear tire... it goes in at a crazy angle and long story short, it prevents it from being able to be repaired with a plug. I end up being talked into putting a tube back there, and it works great for several months...

Today I catch another sharp foreign metal object to the rear tire and I'm sure it's screwed my tire and my tube... I have 3500 miles now and I figure I'm wanting to be done with the tube and the tire and just get a new one.

This Dunlop has really served me well... I've ridden a lot of miles on it and even though it's taken some really harsh abuse, it didnt slide off the rim or do anything harsh to endanger my life... I'm thinking of sticking with it.

Anyone know of anything that is possibly better? I'm replacing it tomorrow so I need quick responses... thanks.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
If you are keeping the stock Dunlop front then replace the rear with the factory Dunlop. If you are considering replacing both then I would go to the Metzeler 880's front and rear. They are a very good riding and performing tire that many here have been riding on for years.

·
Chrome is king!!!
20,269 Posts
When I switched from the Dunlops to the Metz I noticed the difference right away. The Metz are much stickier and handle much better. Especially in the rain.

·
Vendor
5,940 Posts
METZ all the way.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Metz....I just got around 8k out of my 240, and it is a much better performing tire than the stocker.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
damn, will have to keep that in mind in another few thousand miles... or when perhaps I decide to go for a 260...

thanks!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Q? guys, how many miles are you getting out of you stock Dunlops. I have a little over 5k on my 07 DX and I'm probably going to need a change in another 1 or 2k. And I'm not one for burning up the road. Also, on hard leans the tail seems like it wants to slide out. A little nervy. Thanks, Ed

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,171 Posts
I have 4K on mine and still looks pretty good - and I have done a few burnouts :). When I do replace it, it will be with either an Avon 250 (253 mm wide) or the 260 Metzeler (259 mm wide). Leaning more towards the Avon for now.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
It doesn't really matter what tire I run or the size,I usually get around 6k miles w my aggressive riding.I have 5k on the 07,w a 260 metz and it's time for a new one.
I recently installed a new metz 240 on the 03 A and from just tooling around and taking off slow I had over 11k on the 240 I took off.
Tire mileage is all dependant on riding habits and pressure maintenance.

Elrod on the V-Rod:moped:

·
Registered
597 Posts
Has anyone tried to mount a Dunlop Elite 3 250/40 on a V-rod ???

I have heard the 250 E3 Dunlop is wider than the Metz 260 ( when mounted ?? )

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,171 Posts
FatbyRR said:
Has anyone tried to mount a Dunlop Elite 3 250/40 on a V-rod ???

I have heard the 250 E3 Dunlop is wider than the Metz 260 ( when mounted ?? )
I'd say try and find the specs for that tire. Like I said earlier the Metz 260 is really 259 mm wide while the Avon is 253 so they are only 6 mm apart instead of the 10 as one would think.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
On the late models,I believe the metz 260 is the widest without modifications.I've only got 3 or 4 mm's between the tire and belt on mine.
I thought the metz 880's were the widest,in any width,of the 3 popular brands most of us use.The dunlop 240 looks strange,doesnt fill in at the bead compared to the metz 240.

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
Riding the Rev
1,523 Posts
Since front and back tires wear out differently is it not possible to mix different manufacturers otherwise somewhere along the line I have to throw out a good Dunlop.

·
Comfortably numb!
1,968 Posts
I swapped out my stock Dunlops after 5k, caught a big screw in the rear and will not do a plug.

Went with Metz 880 front and back, a 260 on the rear. Wow!!!! :notworth:

Looks better. Grips better. Corners smoother. And did I say it looks better ;)

Paid around 200 for the rear, 120 for the front and 150 to install. That is one expensive screw :D

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
NightStar said:
Since front and back tires wear out differently is it not possible to mix different manufacturers otherwise somewhere along the line I have to throw out a good Dunlop.
If you take a look at the 07's and 08's they have the same brand w different specs between the 2.The compound hardness is the same.
I've ridden w the metz in the front and a dunlop on the other end without any problems at all in wearability or drivability.I think most of the "do not mix tires" comes from when the radial was first introduced and people would mix the bias ply w the radial,this is a definate no no,even on cars.If the tread pattern was different I wouldn't run like this either.

Elrod on the V-Rod:moped:

·
Formerly BobK
647 Posts
Pirelli just came out with the only Z rated 240 tire. It may actually be a W rating which would put it into the sustained 168mph range. A very good tire which I run on my Buell wheel on my V Rod but not in the 240 size, I will be getting the 240 for my ZX12R turbo very soon.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Qwk Rod said:
Pirelli just came out with the only Z rated 240 tire. It may actually be a W rating which would put it into the sustained 168mph range. A very good tire which I run on my Buell wheel on my V Rod but not in the 240 size, I will be getting the 240 for my ZX12R turbo very soon.

Our thoughts exactly, The new pirelli has been getting great reviews! I would reccomend it for the 240 since it is Z rated and has good compound.

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
Qwk Rod said:
Found it here for $153 http://www.americanmototire.com/

1 - 20 of 26 Posts