Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's the question - If you had to build a 1250cc engine which year case set would you prefer ? I see the first '05 S/Eagle 1250cc has unique looking coated skirt pistons and a different ring set P/N, even compared to the '06 S/Eagle. I assume this '05 and maybe the '06 S/E is a bored earlier 1130cc case for the larger 1250 liners. All other '08 and up look pretty much the same and share the same liners, pistons, rings etc. and I would think were not a bored up 1130cc case but an as cast 1250cc case for 1250cc liners - is this an advantage or not compared to the early cases ? So '01 - '07 bored vs '08, '09 and up to present as delivered 1250 cases - whats to know ? Any advantages or disadvantages to any early or later cases ? No worries for oil dipstick position or color, just metal strength, oil flow, case vendor quality stuff like that. I know I can bore my '06 case up to 1250cc with a stock 4.134 H-D liner or larger with a 4.250 liner and thats an option as well but I would like to build up a spare engine and just swap it out when it's done. Thanks for any thoughts - :blahblah: :D

·
Registered
368 Posts
Interested in this as well.

Speaking for the heads, I’ve read that the 05SE were ported and polished 1130 heads that tend to flow the best between the 05SE and 06SE models. The 06SE used cast heads to the 05SE dimensions supposedly meaning there more metal for a more aggressive valve job, but never could confirm this. Beginning in 07, the 06SE cast head dimensions became standard.

Not sure of the block though apart from the swing arm changing in 05

·
Premium Member
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Building a Case

From what I've learned Wegner Automotive did the CNC S/E head porting for H-D CVO back in '05 & some in '06 and for the early Big Bore kits. They are not polished, but still have the CNC machining tracks visible, and a stamped # from Wegner. The later heads that were supposedly patterned after the CNC ported heads are no where close to the total port volume of the CNC's, but do have smoother ports. They are both cast heads, and the newer heads flow well despite their smaller diameter ports that can be machined and ported to shapes that may flow better than the S/E CNC heads. ( see Fitzgerald Motorsports +1 mm valves heads ) Anyway I bought a 2010 1250cc Case set from an AW, P/N 24465-09K going to pop some new liners and pistons in and build from there, if my crankshaft is 100% good - if not looks like a stroker build. And yes, in '05 the lower case # changed. :blahblah: :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts