Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I know that this is going to sound silly: I need to tension my belt. How do i get to the axle nut? The exhaust seems to be in the way. It does not seem that there is enough space for a torque wrench or anything like that.
I don't need to to take of the muffler just to tension the belt do I ?

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Well, You could use a crows foot on the end of a torque wrench. It MIGHT fit. I've always taken off the exhaust to torque the rear axle.

·
SpeedoDocter
2,364 Posts
muffler pops off easy ,just wiggle it up and down and pull. Put somthing soft untherneat the muffler ,you will be suprised how much it weights

EDIT :i think last time i only loosend the bolts and bend the mufflerassembly outwards.

EDIT 2::vrodforu:

·
Banned
15,036 Posts
If you don't have a crows foot, put bike on lift and raise enough to just get tire off of the ground. Remove both top shock bolts. Raise bike till nut is clear of exhaust.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
Cheatin said:
If you don't have a crows foot, put bike on lift and raise enough to just get tire off of the ground. Remove both top shock bolts. Raise bike till nut is clear of exhaust.
Moving the swingarm with the shocks disconnected is a good way to get at the axle nut to loosen or tighten it but be sure to test belt tension (6 mm deflection with 10 lbs of force) with the swingarm positioned as if the bike is standing upright with no rider weight since belt tension is reduced as the swingarm moves up or down from the point where rear pulley, swingarm pivot and front pulley are "in-line".

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Now how do you keep the bike upright and check the tension at the same time? Is this a 2 man job?

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
V Ride said:
Now how do you keep the bike upright and check the tension at the same time? Is this a 2 man job?
Two people could do it but usually it's done with a scissors jack under the frame (or blocks with shims) to hold the bike upright.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts