Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Look at the rear axle. You'll see that there are a set of cam's on each side. You loosen the nut, on the right side, and turn the left side to move the tire rearward to tighten the belt or turn the left side to move the tire forward to loosen the belt.

Tension should be about 6mm of deflection with 10 lbs of pressure in the middle of the belt.

RJ

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
If you don't have the lower belt guard how do you measure the 6mm?

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
V Ride said:
If you don't have the lower belt guard how do you measure the 6mm?
Measure the distance from the middle of the belt to any fixed point, (like the ground) push the belt with 10lbs of pressure, and measure from the belt back to that fixed point while under pressure.

Next, you're going to ask how do you know how much 10 lbs is.

You might surprise yourself.

Go to the bathroom scale and with the pads of two fingers, push what you believe to be 10 lbs of pressure on the scale, while your eyes are closed. Then look at the scale. You might be surprised at how well you can estimate 10 lbs of force consistantly.

RJ

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
lol, I got the HD tension tool. Just didn't have the lower belt guard. Thanks.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
V Ride said:
lol, I got the HD tension tool. Just didn't have the lower belt guard. Thanks.

I did mine by feel then went for a ride doesn't appear to be any issues but will have it checked at Performance Customs in Traverse city today when I am over there. No fee just good guys.

·
"A" is the only way
3,349 Posts
When I checked mine I was surprised at how tight it actually is with the 6mm of play. Also another way for measuring if you don't have the lower belt guard is to make a mark with a grease pen when you apply the force and measure the difference.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts