Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed my upper belt guard was rubbing my new tank.
Took the guard off and noticed that the belt was rubbing also.
Made quite a mark in the tank!
I have an '03' with the drive line stock, standard swingarm, 180 tire.
I did put 12" shocks on it.which is 1" shorter than stock.
Does the shorter shocks create this issue with the belt?
I know I can trim the guard but the belt is already tracking as far away from the tank as it can.
Any ideas other than a wide tire kit?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Do you have any pictures of this belt rubbing?

As far as belt tracking I have checked two now before and after tank installs and the gap was the exact same. Not having the rear wheel spacers in correct, not having the axle tension correct on both sides can both lead to the belt gap being reduced but in theory it should be closer at the bottom then it should be at the top, are these by any chance adjustable shocks and could one side be tighter then the other causing the swing arm to cock just a little.

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
Are your wheel spacers installed correctly? Yes, pix would help.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here are some pictures - will try to get better ones tomorrow.
Shocks are adjustable - Air Ride - 70 lbs. each side using Air Ride pump.
Spacers in correct as far as I can tell.
Axle tension? I thought both axle adjusters turned together.
Top and bottom gap. Are you talking about top and bottom gap at the rear pulley?
Thanks for the prompt reply!

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have very little clearance between tank and belt (behind upper belt guard)and about 1/8" clearance between the tank and belt (behind lower belt guard) if that's what you ment.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Try taking the pictures from a little further back if possible so I can see more of the tank and bring it in focus. When I try to compare that to my tank I am running 12" shocks and those marks appear much higher then my belt would ever be but again the picture makes it difficult to tell. Also do you have a gap at the bottom between the belt and tank?

·
Dances with Rain!
3,713 Posts
Does the CFR swingarm match the stock HD swingarm, in terms of dimensions. I have the Rick's Tank in and I ran with a 200mm Avon and 12" Progressive shocks and it rubbed the upper side of the tank.

Jim

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
FusionGrind said:
Does the CFR swingarm match the stock HD swingarm, in terms of dimensions. I have the Rick's Tank in and I ran with a 200mm Avon and 12" Progressive shocks and it rubbed the upper side of the tank.

Jim

The CFR swingarm's only change is the shock bolts are farther rear so a 12" shock works more like an 11.5 inch shock. Keep in mind though that most with the CFR like myself have wide tires which gives me almost an inch of belt clearance.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
HEP58 said:
I do have a gap at the bottom - about 1/8".
If that picture is correct you have something wrong, your belt is even hitting your frame on the bike. Double check your spacers, pulley alignment and makes sure the rear axle is adjusted straight. If you can get more pictures looking in at the front pulley to see where the belt is on it and from behind to get an idea from others if your tire is centered.

One last thing, is your belt also hitting your tire, I would swear I see marks on the edge of the tire which would mean your rear tire is at an angle.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The marks that you see on the frame was from the drive setup when I bought the bike.
The person had an after market 28 tooth pulley from V-mod that was not anodized and wore out causing it to tracked funny - which in turn caused it to rub the frame.
He also had some 11" shocks that didn't work right on the bike and the belt guard was hitting the frame.
As it is setup now, the belt doesn't come anywhere close to the tire, top or bottom.
On the front pulley the belt is tracking about 1/16" from the outer flange.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just went out and measured on each side of the bike from to the edge of the fender.
Exhaust side was about 1"
Drive side was about 1 1/2"
Is that normal?

Looking at the service manual the the right side spacer (brake side) is narrower than the left side spacer (pulley side) and that is how they are on my bike.

·
Making the UK Fatter
2,606 Posts
I don't like the look of that tyre also, it's been squared off.

I think you should have the back wheel out and inspect all the parts, as your not the origanal owner, you can't be shure what's been done.

Maybe the rear wheel bearings are shot or more likely the pulley bearing?, perhaps this is causing the rear pulley to wobble about?, the state of the cushdrive rubber would be of interest too, and don't forget there's a spacer between pulley and wheel too.

Maybe the swing-arm bearings are loose or worn or not installed correctly?

Good luck

·
Chief
1,272 Posts
I have a Rick's tank on my 03A with 12" Progressives and I have not had any rubbing. I agree with Max, check your spacers.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
HEP58 said:
The marks that you see on the frame was from the drive setup when I bought the bike.
The person had an after market 28 tooth pulley from V-mod that was not anodized and wore out causing it to tracked funny - which in turn caused it to rub the frame.
He also had some 11" shocks that didn't work right on the bike and the belt guard was hitting the frame.
As it is setup now, the belt doesn't come anywhere close to the tire, top or bottom.
If your belt was running on a worn out pulley the odds are that the belt itself may be bad also. When you have it off set it on something flat and see if it still is or turn it around. When they run on a worn out pulley they can break strands on one side or the other.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How I noticed that the after market pulley was bad I had alot of belt noise.
It was at that point that I also noticed the belt rubbing on the frame.
Since then I replaced the drive pulley with the stock 30 tooth.
I just replaced my rear tire, about 6 weeks ago. The tire is a Dunlop and it has the same sidewall shape on both sides. Nothing close to rubbing the tire.
When I changed my tank I also changed the belt because it had a churp from the damage that the worn pulley caused.
When I had the tire and rim off for the tire change I checked the cushdrive and it was in good shape.
Wheel bearings where in good shape also.
When I had the swing arm off I checked the condition of the shaft and, without removing, the condition of the bushings and nothing looked bad.
Everything went back together real nice and torqued into place.
No noticable wobble when I have it on the stand and it runs smooth at low and higher speeds when on the road.
Now I'm really starting to scratch my head!

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
I also notice you have a chrome swing arm. If the bearing is not pressed all the way in it will cause this. Can you look on the front drive pulley and note the location the belt runs. If it is all the way toward the motor side your alignment is off and to even be that close to the tank we know something is off since the Ricks tank is the exact same on the side as the stock tank.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
I just held a straight edge on top of my belt and contacted both the frame and the tank. On my bike the distance from the belt to the frame and the belt to the tank is the same distance at the point yours made contact. My question is you say the old pulley caused the contact with the frame but how close is it right now? You should have 1/8-1/4 inch between the belt and and frame minimum. If you could take several pictures around the area from above, from behind looking in at the belt on the pulley, the front motor cross bar and has this bike ever been in an accident, in other words are you sure the frame isn't tweaked.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
HEP58 said:
If it is that far towards the outside then your rear tire has to be installed improperly or your swing arm is too far to the right from a bearing not fully seated.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts