Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Ride Anything
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With my bike off and in neutral, a strange noise like the drive belt at the rear wheel is binding or to tight occurs when I back up or move forward. My brother had a similar noise after he lowered his bike so he loosened the tension on the belt and the problem went away.

My bike is completely stock in this area. My belt tension is set to specs. 17,000 miles on belt and it appears to be in good shape. Any ideas? Should I loosen my belt to less than specs?

Thanks,
JB

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
jbflying said:
... Should I loosen my belt to less than specs? ...
Do not run the belt loose. The power transmission limits on a cog belt drive system is directly proportional to belt tension. A loose belt is more likely to jump a tooth damaging the belt teeth and over loading the bearings on the pulley.

There have been many threads in the forum in reference to belt noise and almost as many remedies (not including running the belt loose.)

Check for proper pulley alignment. You can also try flipping the belt around so it runs the other direction and see if its better but use the recommended belt tension.

·
Go IRISH!
727 Posts
to tight is better than to loose.

·
1 Person Biker Gang
287 Posts
I have had this noise with several Harleys. HD sells something for this. Part #99860-81 Poly-Oil. It is not a oil, don't know why it is in the name. It is in a tube like toothpaste. It has about the same texture as toothpaste. I jack my bike up to turn the rear wheel and use a toothbrush. If you remove the cover at the front pulley it gives you plenty of room to get to the belt. I just use it as if I am cleaning the belt with it. It does a great job.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Mine was making noise at the same spot as it was being rolled. I removed the lower guard and thoroughly cleaned the belt with some windex and a brush. The noise went away. Now I run without the lower guard so that if the belt gets dirty and noisy, it is easy to clean.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Poly Lube

I had belt noise as well and the HD mechanic checked the tension said it was good. Also noted that V-Rods run a little tighter belt. Shit he even showed me the technique for checking the belt. Then he lubed the belt with HD Poly Lube and the noise was gone. He said to occasionally lube the belt and not run it dry it will last longer.
He's the mechanic, you telll me? Ahhh and they didn't charge me? Damn thats a switch huh. I didn't dare use the word stealer that day!
Rod-On Dar

·
Jeff/Modistrator
6,136 Posts
foraker1sg said:
I had belt noise as well and the HD mechanic checked the tension said it was good. Also noted that V-Rods run a little tighter belt. Shit he even showed me the technique for checking the belt. Then he lubed the belt with HD Poly Lube and the noise was gone. He said to occasionally lube the belt and not run it dry it will last longer.
He's the mechanic, you telll me? Ahhh and they didn't charge me? Damn thats a switch huh. I didn't dare use the word stealer that day!
Rod-On Dar

Was there some secret technique? Or did he use the belt tension gauge?

·
Registered
288 Posts
drodder said:
I have had this noise with several Harleys. HD sells something for this. Part #99860-81 Poly-Oil. It is not a oil, don't know why it is in the name. It is in a tube like toothpaste. It has about the same texture as toothpaste. I jack my bike up to turn the rear wheel and use a toothbrush. If you remove the cover at the front pulley it gives you plenty of room to get to the belt. I just use it as if I am cleaning the belt with it. It does a great job.

POLY-Lube its about 4 bucks a tube. My HD mechanic said not to run a dry belt. I used it the noise is gone...........

·
Registered
288 Posts
jmullins said:
Was there some secret technique? Or did he use the belt tension gauge?
Belt guage, no magic. Just thought it was pretty cool that he took the time to show me. Bob at Savannah HD, good mech!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts